.177 Vs .22 air rifle ?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

.177 Vs .22 air rifle ?

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Dec 2017, 11:15 pm

I've never yet seen a .22 air rifle listed on Used Guns.

Is it because they are few and far between ?
Is it because they aren't popular ?
Is it because they are that good that those who own one won't part with it ?

Who can put up some pros and cons of both calibers ?

I may be interested in maybe getting one.

Also, how many brands of air rifle are there, that are semi auto ?? :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: .177 Vs .22 air rifle ?

Post by AusTac » 02 Dec 2017, 6:34 am

22's hit a bit harder but will drop faster depending on the power of the rifle, the brand that i have ( weihrauch ) theres a difference of 600 m/s between the calibers out of the same design of rifle pretty significant if you ask me, would imagine .22 would have a rainbow trajectory
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Ben78 » 02 Dec 2017, 7:26 am

You aren't looking real hard, there is heaps on there...
Ben78
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 02 Dec 2017, 9:34 am

.177 is a better target round. Flatter and faster.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 02 Dec 2017, 10:15 am

I have a .22 calibre one. Think it rated to 880fps it's just a Cfx Gamo one. I had a .177 one growing up as a kid. I choose the .22 fair a bit more knock down power. Maining for crows and rabbits. I shoot a few rabbits and crows with it. But really it is only good for 30-5 metres max. I kind of find it funny that air rifle reviews usually test the accuracy at 10metres. I can shot pretty good groups at 25metres. If I was going to get another air rifle it would have to be one of those with a rotory magazine pnuematic style. But there are quite expensive

I'd rather use the 22lr and CCi quiets.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 02 Dec 2017, 11:12 am

I always liked my weirauch 22 under lever. It killed stuff well. Even far bigger stuff than one would expect ;)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 02 Dec 2017, 12:17 pm

What do you want to do with it? I have had little exposure to.22 air rfle, so can't offer a direct comparison but I have taken a lot of bunnies around the sheds with the Gamo .177 that I have. Head and chest shots are very effective out to 30m. I'm using this primarily around sheds and reasonably close to houses where distances are short, and a 22lr would draw unnecessary attention. The other night I shot 8 rabbits in and around sheds and farm equipment where the increased risk of pass through and/or ricochet off of concrete and rocks etc would have prevented me from taking most of those shots with a 22lr.

Cheap shooting, great fun
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 03 Dec 2017, 8:03 am

Steyr do a semi-auto PCP in .22. F'ing awesome bit of kit if your budget stretches that far.
.22 cal in PCP's tend to buck wind better than .177 due to pellet weight.
I just sold my Feinwerbau P70 Field target, it was a PCP .177 and would take out pest birds @ 100m, who says air rifles are no good past 30m?
Also, they tend to test them @ 10m because that is the distance for the precision matches, sort of the benchmark in air rifle accuracy.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Dec 2017, 8:29 am

I know a bloke who's used is 22 PCP on foxes out to around 70m or so with great results (headshots of course) not something you'd use as a preference on foxes but if they are there and you're good enough to place the shot well then can get the job done (he was using night vision gear so the fox didn't know he was there). I've got a 22 Weihrauch HW80 which is a great little air rifle but I don't really use it much anymore, I find the 22 brno etc of more use to be honest.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Strikey » 03 Dec 2017, 5:38 pm

I have a couple of 177's, a 22 and 25 cal air rifles, all precharged pneumatic, each is as accurate as the other, the key to accuracy with air rifles is not to push the velocity too high, once past 930-950fps accuracy starts to drop off, between 800 and 900fps with the pellet that suits the barrel and you will achieve single hole groups out to 50m easily. :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by winton » 18 Dec 2017, 4:54 pm

I never really got good groups out of a break action or a gamo of any variety.

Strikey wrote:once past 930-950fps accuracy starts to drop off, between 800 and 900fps with the pellet that suits the barrel and you will achieve single hole groups out to 50m easily. :thumbsup:

PCPs are almost always super accurate. What was your zero distance for your 22 or 177?

I find using Exacta pellets to be most accurate out of my air rifles.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by dirtjay » 25 Dec 2017, 1:19 pm

Has anyone owned or used a Magtech brand air rifle?

I’ve ordered a AR1000, .177 after a lot of research.
1000 FPS.
A lot more of these in Europe, but easily ordered from stock here.
Just waiting for the Xmas closures to finish, then I’ll pick it up.
dirtjay
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 25 Dec 2017, 3:40 pm

So much has changed in the world of air rifles since I used them as a kid and even 20 years ago. It has been an age old question. Back in the day the .177 was the best choice I think. It was a bit more accurate better trajectory even over the short distances that you would typically use one over. How much has changed glad your doing the research.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles