Entry level .22LR for target/field?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Entry level .22LR for target/field?

Post by Apollo » 20 Dec 2017, 9:48 pm

bigfellascott wrote:The Savage HB Mk2 are great little shooters that cost little, both mine run rings around my Brno Mod 2 in the groups stakes.

There must be something wrong with your Brno Model 2 or you aren't using the right ammo.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 20 Dec 2017, 10:07 pm

in2anity wrote:And x12 optics is definitely not necessarily too much for the 22; it all depends on the intended application. Rimfire silhouette demands AT LEAST x12, preferably more. You basically start at x12 and work your way up the magnification as your skills improve. Plenty of the guys I shoot with use x20 and one even has his set on x30! You gotta remember the chickens are less than 3” across the widest part; bloody small for standing offhand.

Also there is a 200m rimfire event routinely held at Silverdale called “fly on the wall”; you aim for a blowfly target at that distance! Do you think a x12 would be “overkill” for that? Hells no. That event is all about reading the mirage and flags to dope accordingly and lob em in there. Record is something crazy like 5 rounds in a 2” group.

Point is it’s dumb to generalize and say “a 22 should have scope X” horses for courses.

So basically I 100% agree with gamerancher - you should be buying according to the discliplenss your local club has to offer.

The Silverdale shoot at 200 Yards is just called a "200 Yard Fly Shoot" ...no flies on the wall... :-)

It is held as a State and National Competition on a regular basis. You do need a powerful Scope to set your mark, 20x is just the starting point so from there up and up to 40x plus.

A lot of the custom rifles are built on actions of Anschutz specific models and Brno typically Model 2's. Custom grade barrels. 5 shots in like a 2" group, well think about half that but the last shot didn't make the grade, just. I sat beside someone at a 200 Yard Fly Shoot at Batemans Bay and the first 4 shots he did were all touching, then the 5th was 15mm away... you should have heard the swearing.

My standard Brno Model 2 that day out of 50 shooters using custom built rifles rated at 6th`until I stuffed the last target and dropped down to 12th just by a few points. Never heard of a Savage based rifle being any good in State/National competition. The best is a fully custom build but who has 5-10 Grand to spend on a Rimfire... :-)

Modern day rifle in my view would be a Anschutz 50 or a Brno Model 2... BTW.. The rifle I have seen that BFS keeps showing Pic's of is a Brno Model 2E not a Model 2 which is a lot different.... :-)
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Dec 2017, 6:19 am

Apollo wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:The Savage HB Mk2 are great little shooters that cost little, both mine run rings around my Brno Mod 2 in the groups stakes.

There must be something wrong with your Brno Model 2 or you aren't using the right ammo.

Yeah it's never been tuned or had any work done to it other than the trigger spring. I've tried quite a few brands of ammo in it and it used to love the orange box winnies but sadly they are no more and the newer version isn't quite as good in it but I really don't care as it and the Savage are only used for hunting not poking paper and they both get the job done just fine :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Supaduke » 21 Dec 2017, 7:05 am

The title of this post is asking for entry level.....

3-9 and 4-12 are entry level and affordable.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 21 Dec 2017, 7:48 am

The point is if he wants to target shoot, he needs a set of sights exactly appropriate for his chosen discipline, not some arbitrary 3-9x hunting scope. which gets back to the suggestion that he needs to investigate what’s on offer at his local clubs. Buy once, cry once. No point in rushing out and impulse buying something only to realize he’ll have to upgrade to be competitive (for target shooting)... I’ve made that mistake before
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 21 Dec 2017, 8:34 am

bigfellascott wrote:Yeah it's never been tuned or had any work done to it other than the trigger spring. I've tried quite a few brands of ammo in it and it used to love the orange box winnies but sadly they are no more and the newer version isn't quite as good in it but I really don't care as it and the Savage are only used for hunting not poking paper and they both get the job done just fine :thumbsup:

My Brno Model 2 loves those Winchester Power Points in the Orange Box and luck has it I still have a full brick in reserve but chasing bunnies I prefer something quieter and it's a lot more accurate with Lapua Centre-X. More expensive but they don't frighten the bunnies back into their holes.

It really is a matter of finding the right ammo that a certain rifle loves and sticking with it.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Hoot » 21 Dec 2017, 8:55 am

I'm not opposed to spending more in the future, but I have a habit of strong, short lived passions that my wife has learned to help me deal with.. by not giving me any money! If I can poke little holes in paper as a starting point, I figure I can go from there based on the feedback here
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Dec 2017, 11:11 am

BrNo Mod 2. Earlier built the better. In a custom stock with a bit of trigger work and the right ammo those things are tack drivers.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 21 Dec 2017, 12:18 pm

Gamerancher wrote:BrNo Mod 2. Earlier built the better. In a custom stock with a bit of trigger work and the right ammo those things are tack drivers.

Someone knows his Brno Model 2's... :thumbsup:

Mine is a 1965 Model and in "As New" condition.

Took it too my Gunsmith some time ago to have a "Lowey Trigger Kit" installed as I wanted it done correctly and checked over. He discovered that someone had tried to polish the Sear incorrectly as it wasn't correct, rectified. Cost me 50 bucks on top of the trigger kit. Gunsmith comment was... either this Brno has been stored since new, or extremely well looked after as it doesn't have hardly a mark on the Stock and the Bluing is 100% or it's been re-blued professionally. The next comment was that it is one of the best examples he has seen of a Brno Model 2 in his 60 odd years of being a Gunsmith.

Tack Driver it is and I have thought of a Custom Stock for Target but since I only shoot Target once a year I never bothered. One rifle I would never consider selling. With the Lapua Ammo it will put 5 shots in a one hole group at 50 metres and pretty tight at 100 metres. It's usually sighted in for zero at 75 metres unless I'm shooting a 200 Yard Competition.

I have a mate that also has a Brno Model 2 but his is a 1975 Model, it's a different rifle, different Dovetail and Receiver (Action) build plus a couple of other minor differences. I used to have a 1985 Brno Model 2E as well but it wasn't anywhere a match for this Brno Model 2.

Great Rifles, always have been and a treasure to own if one can find one in absolute top condition.
Attachments
tn_Picture 019.jpg
tn_Picture 019.jpg (220.61 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
tn_Picture 020.jpg
tn_Picture 020.jpg (238.98 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles