Entry level .22LR for target/field?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Entry level .22LR for target/field?

Post by Hoot » 19 Dec 2017, 5:44 pm

Hey guys, I'm hoping I can reach out to some of you Aussies around here with some local knowledge to point me in the right direction before I go about committing myself to something.

I haven't owned any guns, or been around the shooting scene for at least ten years now although I've kept my licence, and there has been an idea ticking at the back of my mind for a while to see what's out there. Pistol shooting seems like too much hassle, but we do have a local small bore SSAA rifle range that shoots a few disciplines (field rifle, benchrest) that look like a good bit of cheap fun to get involved in that wont break the bank to actually shoot.

Money is pretty tight at the moment, the Mrs and I have been saving up for the potential of needing IVF in the future while she undergoes some other forms of treatment in the meantime, and while I could probably buy a bitsa .22 and still shoot I'd actually like to hopefully be competitive one day, and not outgrow my rifle rifle in a matter of months.

What do you guys suggest might be a good option for a first .22 for target/field shooting? I see Anschutz come up quite often on some forums, but the costs range from $400 to $4,000 and I'd appreciate it greatly if you could give me a few tips on what to look for as a beginner.
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Entry level .22LR for target/field?

Post by AusTac » 19 Dec 2017, 5:51 pm

I've got a lithgow la102 and i'd put that up against a annie anyday, match ammo and good shooting it'll do clover leafs all day long, you can pick them up new for about $1000 or just under, not a purpose built target rifle but is a jack of all trades
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Wombat » 19 Dec 2017, 6:44 pm

Maybe just get an old Model 2 Brno, most of those shoot pretty well. $500 and up secondhand maybe cheaper if you are quick and lucky.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 19 Dec 2017, 6:49 pm

Really need a budget to offer any useful suggestions.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by allan » 19 Dec 2017, 6:51 pm

If funds are tight, that will pretty much dictate what outfit will meet your requirements - Remember, if target shooting is on the agenda, a decent scope and mounts will also be required.
Don't neglect the second hand market - There have been some absolute gems for sale over the past couple of months:
Here's one I just plucked off Used Guns:
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=115777
As AusTac has said, the LA101 is a solid performer and the plastic stock versions are around for well under a grand at times.
Don't discount the "cheapies" either - I've seen some very good shooting Savage Mark II's and this is a good dual purpose offering:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_markII-BV_rifle.htm
I own all of the above plus several "high end" rimfires and really don't think you can go wrong with any of these.
Also remember that you want something that fits you and meets your tastes !!
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by marksman » 19 Dec 2017, 7:06 pm

my recommendation would be a brno model 2 :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Hoot » 19 Dec 2017, 7:08 pm

Supaduke wrote:Really need a budget to offer any useful suggestions.

Sorry mate, I don't have a fixed budget per se, but I'd like to get out of it for under $1k if I could :thumbsup:
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pete1 » 19 Dec 2017, 7:16 pm

CZ, Lithgow, brno are a good place to start looking at, do bit of research.

A bloke i use to work with reckons Zastava rifles are really accurate for the money, but I've never shot one.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by knowsnothin » 19 Dec 2017, 7:23 pm

Here's one I just plucked off Used Guns:
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=115777

thats a steal. includes $600 of glass
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Dec 2017, 7:31 pm

A lot might depend on whether you can fettle your own rifle or not...........bedding, scope mounting, trigger modification.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 19 Dec 2017, 8:41 pm

A Lithgow with vortex or Nikon glass
3-9 or 4-12 heaps for a .22

Heirloom quality rifle , shoots like a laser , Nikon and Vortex do quality affordable entry level glass.

Will serve you well for years and be a worthy contender in any comps.

I have a Lithgow among several other .22's and would not hesitate to recommend it.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 19 Dec 2017, 9:58 pm

Hey mate sorry if I’m stating the obvious, but are you expecting to only ever compete in scoped matches? That kinda limits you to a smaller number of disciplines/clubs is all. What I’m try to say is will you ever want the option on running peeps on it?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Hoot » 20 Dec 2017, 7:41 am

in2anity wrote:Hey mate sorry if I’m stating the obvious, but are you expecting to only ever compete in scoped matches? That kinda limits you to a smaller number of disciplines/clubs is all. What I’m try to say is will you ever want the option on running peeps on it?

Believe it or not I've never shot a rifle that didn't have a scope on it, but I'd be open to trying other things though!

sungazer wrote:The problem is that to be competitive at small bore you do really need a pretty special gun

It does look that way, I'm not expecting to be off to the Olympics with my first rifle, really I just want to dip my toe in the sport and see what I think for a year or two before I can really be in a position to drop some bigger dollars on a target rifle.

The Lithgow seems to be getting a lot of positive feedback for me though here and a few other places, although I'll need to see whether it's suitable for peeps or not as that might be a deciding factor for me.
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Dec 2017, 7:47 am

Where is your "local" club? What matches do they shoot? Are you prepared to travel to compete?
Your answers to these questions will influence the advice that you receive.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Dec 2017, 8:22 am

G'day Hoot,
There is a Lithgow Model 12 on usedguns at the moment for $300. It will fulfill all your requirements, a mag fed repeater for hunting, and a heavy barrel for target work. The Model 12 is renowned for it's accuracy, and is drilled and tapped for side mounted diopter such as Lithgow Model 57 or 58 sights, or Parker Hale 17. They can be fitted with a scope quite easily also. A good, low cost entry level rifle, Cheers.

PS: My Model 12 is just as good as my Enfield No8, for 25 to 50 yard target work.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 20 Dec 2017, 9:02 am

bentaz wrote:Just find a gun you can afford and start shooting it.
You'll soon find out what's fun and what's not then you can head in a more specific direction.

+1 :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 20 Dec 2017, 9:14 am

Traditional 22lr ISSF style shooting is the vast majority of clubs’ bread-and-butter - I’d be aiming to get a rifle that could at least be adapted to compete in such events, that’s going to give you the most options down the track. That kinda rules out rifles that aren’t cut to take a front sight (for example the la101). And yes you will definitely want something with a heavier target barrel. If you go down this route, typical brands to research include Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, and Walther. CZ can be a cheaper alternative which is more of a “jack-of-all-trade” piece of kit, but generally won’t be as accurate.

FWIW IMO i feel you may get sick of shooting benchrest scoped because it’s ultimately just a race to the top. shooting with a sling on the other hand is a skill that you can spend a lifetime trying to master (which is good!)
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bushie » 20 Dec 2017, 9:22 am

Ruger American

Lithgow La 102

Keystone 722

Just a couple I and some mates shoot and habe 0 issues with
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 20 Dec 2017, 9:47 am

Bushie wrote:Ruger American

Lithgow La 102

Keystone 722

FYI the la102 is the center fire big brother of the la101 - I presume that’s what you’re referring to.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Hangfire » 20 Dec 2017, 11:25 am

For a quality entry level at a good price hard to beat a Ruger American there's also a target version aswell.
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Hoot » 20 Dec 2017, 11:56 am

Gamerancher wrote:Where is your "local" club? What matches do they shoot? Are you prepared to travel to compete?
Your answers to these questions will influence the advice that you receive.

I'm in Orange, NSW, the local range does Field Rifle, 3-Positional, Benchrest, general target and several just ad hock matches that are just informal at the range itself, like rapid fire and offhand.

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Hoot,
There is a Lithgow Model 12 on usedguns at the moment for $300. It will fulfill all your requirements, a mag fed repeater for hunting, and a heavy barrel for target work. The Model 12 is renowned for it's accuracy, and is drilled and tapped for side mounted diopter such as Lithgow Model 57 or 58 sights, or Parker Hale 17. They can be fitted with a scope quite easily also. A good, low cost entry level rifle, Cheers.

PS: My Model 12 is just as good as my Enfield No8, for 25 to 50 yard target work.

It certainly fits the budget, I'll check that out - thank you! I have no idea what a side mounted diopter is however! The rule of thumb everyone used to tell me when I was younger is spend more on the optics than you do on the rifle, a $300 entry would certainly make that possible!
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 20 Dec 2017, 12:32 pm

Expensive optics can be wasteful if you are not utilising their advantages. Most comps are held during the day. And being rimfire you won't be going past 200m, probably less. Much more than x12 optics on a .22 is not necessary. A good Nikon prostaff or Vortex Crossfire is plenty for a .22.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Hoot » 20 Dec 2017, 1:06 pm

Supaduke wrote:Expensive optics can be wasteful if you are not utilising their advantages. Most comps are held during the day. And being rimfire you won't be going past 200m, probably less. Much more than x12 optics on a .22 is not necessary. A good Nikon prostaff or Vortex Crossfire is plenty for a .22.

I wouldn't even attempt to shoot past 200m with a .22, as far as I'm aware most of the comps happen at 25 or 50 meters!
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 20 Dec 2017, 2:23 pm

Hoot wrote:
Supaduke wrote:Expensive optics can be wasteful if you are not utilising their advantages. Most comps are held during the day. And being rimfire you won't be going past 200m, probably less. Much more than x12 optics on a .22 is not necessary. A good Nikon prostaff or Vortex Crossfire is plenty for a .22.

I wouldn't even attempt to shoot past 200m with a .22, as far as I'm aware most of the comps happen at 25 or 50 meters!

That's what I mean. I know they occasionally do speciality shoots at longer ranges but the far majority are at 50m or less. No need for high powered optics. Nor does a scope's low light performance have much relevance. Nor does it need complex long range reticles.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 20 Dec 2017, 4:56 pm

in2anity wrote:
Bushie wrote:Ruger American

Lithgow La 102

Keystone 722

FYI the la102 is the center fire big brother of the la101 - I presume that’s what you’re referring to.

Yeah my bad
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Dec 2017, 6:05 pm

We shoot .22rf @ 200m with iron sights. .
22BPCR silhouette.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Hoot » 20 Dec 2017, 6:24 pm

Gamerancher wrote:We shoot .22rf @ 200m with iron sights. .
22BPCR silhouette.

Odds of me ever hitting anything at 200 meters with anything.. slim to none! :lol:
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 20 Dec 2017, 6:58 pm

My son recently turned 12 and got his juniors permit so I had a similar decision to make as in what to get him, a Lithgow or a Anschutz. After much thought I went with the Lithgow mainly because he's a lefty and I couldn't get an Anschutz within a reasonable timeframe. If he shows some passion and talent then I'll invest the dollars in a top level competitive rifle but for now he can use the Lithgow and be reasonably competitive while still being able to hunt with it. I'll keep in mind sungazer's advice about buying used and re-barreling.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 Dec 2017, 7:21 pm

And x12 optics is definitely not necessarily too much for the 22; it all depends on the intended application. Rimfire silhouette demands AT LEAST x12, preferably more. You basically start at x12 and work your way up the magnification as your skills improve. Plenty of the guys I shoot with use x20 and one even has his set on x30! You gotta remember the chickens are less than 3” across the widest part; bloody small for standing offhand.

Also there is a 200m rimfire event routinely held at Silverdale called “fly on the wall”; you aim for a blowfly target at that distance! Do you think a x12 would be “overkill” for that? Hells no. That event is all about reading the mirage and flags to dope accordingly and lob em in there. Record is something crazy like 5 rounds in a 2” group.

Point is it’s dumb to generalize and say “a 22 should have scope X” horses for courses.

So basically I 100% agree with gamerancher - you should be buying according to the discliplenss your local club has to offer.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Dec 2017, 9:14 pm

The Savage HB Mk2 are great little shooters that cost little, both mine run rings around my Brno Mod 2 in the groups stakes.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles