Entry level .22LR for target/field?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Entry level .22LR for target/field?

Post by Hoot » 21 Dec 2017, 8:55 am

I'm not opposed to spending more in the future, but I have a habit of strong, short lived passions that my wife has learned to help me deal with.. by not giving me any money! If I can poke little holes in paper as a starting point, I figure I can go from there based on the feedback here
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Dec 2017, 11:11 am

BrNo Mod 2. Earlier built the better. In a custom stock with a bit of trigger work and the right ammo those things are tack drivers.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 21 Dec 2017, 12:18 pm

Gamerancher wrote:BrNo Mod 2. Earlier built the better. In a custom stock with a bit of trigger work and the right ammo those things are tack drivers.

Someone knows his Brno Model 2's... :thumbsup:

Mine is a 1965 Model and in "As New" condition.

Took it too my Gunsmith some time ago to have a "Lowey Trigger Kit" installed as I wanted it done correctly and checked over. He discovered that someone had tried to polish the Sear incorrectly as it wasn't correct, rectified. Cost me 50 bucks on top of the trigger kit. Gunsmith comment was... either this Brno has been stored since new, or extremely well looked after as it doesn't have hardly a mark on the Stock and the Bluing is 100% or it's been re-blued professionally. The next comment was that it is one of the best examples he has seen of a Brno Model 2 in his 60 odd years of being a Gunsmith.

Tack Driver it is and I have thought of a Custom Stock for Target but since I only shoot Target once a year I never bothered. One rifle I would never consider selling. With the Lapua Ammo it will put 5 shots in a one hole group at 50 metres and pretty tight at 100 metres. It's usually sighted in for zero at 75 metres unless I'm shooting a 200 Yard Competition.

I have a mate that also has a Brno Model 2 but his is a 1975 Model, it's a different rifle, different Dovetail and Receiver (Action) build plus a couple of other minor differences. I used to have a 1985 Brno Model 2E as well but it wasn't anywhere a match for this Brno Model 2.

Great Rifles, always have been and a treasure to own if one can find one in absolute top condition.
Attachments
tn_Picture 019.jpg
tn_Picture 019.jpg (220.61 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
tn_Picture 020.jpg
tn_Picture 020.jpg (238.98 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles