.22 magnum rifle

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: .22 magnum rifle

Post by bigrich » 01 Jan 2018, 8:12 am

so fellas, what game have people been taking with 22 mag and what ammo shoots well in their gun ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 01 Jan 2018, 10:03 am

Anything the size of a fox and smaller. Would put down a dog quickly with correct shot placement.
Hornady 30gr v-max (2200fps) shoots well with my rifle and so does the 40gr CCI HP (1850fps, I forget the name).
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 01 Jan 2018, 1:03 pm

bigrich wrote:... .... and stix is still trying for a 22 hornet rifle ! :lol:

:lol:
Yes...he really wants one...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 01 Jan 2018, 4:11 pm

hey YB, just placed your post "signature" , hope ya got a scope on ya rifle like the "doc". i've tried 30 gr cci v-max, they spray for me. keepin' my eyes open for hornady brand. the 45gr copper washed win power points are grouping at 23mm at 100 for me. someone on another post suggests s&b for good groups. geez stix, thought santa woulda given ya one ! you got plenty of toys already mate. hornets are a pleasant fun thing but. gotta get into reloading to make it real cheap to shoot.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 01 Jan 2018, 5:40 pm

bigrich wrote: i've tried 30 gr cci v-max, they spray for me. keepin' my eyes open for hornady brand.

Yep those shoot like sh*t for me too, the standard 40gr CCI's shoot excellent for me, but the higher velocity CCI rounds don't group well for me.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 02 Jan 2018, 8:17 pm

what rifle you shootin' YB ? have ya tried 50 grain fed hollow points ?trajectory drops a bit, but i did find them consistant
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 02 Jan 2018, 8:27 pm

bigrich wrote:what rifle you shootin' YB ? have ya tried 50 grain fed hollow points ?trajectory drops a bit, but i did find them consistant

Ruger American Rimfire mate.
No I haven't tried that ammo, have not seen it at all to be honest, would definitely be interested in a heavier pill for the charlies that come within range. I will keep an eye out for it.
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 02 Jan 2018, 8:39 pm

"charlies" YB ? the war in 'nam was over man. you shootin' vietcong in ya paddocks ? :lol: have heard good things about ruger american my rifle was a bit ho-hum in the accuracy department , but after about 300 rounds the groups are closing up and it's ammo preference has changed
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Jan 2018, 8:50 pm

A 22mag on feral dogs, Only in ya dreams ! I'd suggest nothing under a 223 or 22-250 or better still, a 243. Remember these are wild, tough and cunning ferals, when you're crawling on hands and knees through the Lantarna looking for the blood trail...., anyhow you get the picture.
Spotlighting or whistling up foxes, yeah a 22mag may be OK under good conditions and around 50yds but a 223 would be heaps better.
Just my 2cents worth.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 02 Jan 2018, 9:09 pm

think if i got the opportunity, i wouldn't feel comfortable shooting bush puppies with anything less than my 22-250. but if i saw one at 50 i could get him between the eyes at that range with my 22 mag. so long as he's standing still ..... :lol: .had a mate empty a 22mag pistol at a few that came up real close too his house and were stalking his young daughter. one died, two others took time. 22 mag is not really up to it in his opinion. keeps a 30-30 winnie handy now. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 02 Jan 2018, 9:51 pm

bigrich wrote:"charlies" YB ? the war in 'nam was over man. you shootin' vietcong in ya paddocks ? :lol:

Heh made me laugh. Charlie is what the poms call a fox (and no I'm not a pom :lol: ).
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 02 Jan 2018, 10:23 pm

nickname for foxes you say YB ? careful mate or you will confuse some old vets and you'll start finding punji sticks and other booby traps in ya paddock :lol: what range have you taken them at with 22 mag ? i love my 22 mag. i shoot it more than my 22lr. more range and more accurate than any 22 lr i've owned. if ya shoot premium ammo in a 22lr for accuracy, 22mag isn't that much more. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles