Maximum accurate range for 22LR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Maximum accurate range for 22LR

Post by Warrigul » 31 Dec 2013, 9:48 am

Noisydad wrote:Before my eyes got a bit ummmm "middle aged", I used to regularly shoot rabbits at 90 paces with my open sighted Stirling 22. It has a 4 x scope on it now. Still think everyone should learn to shoot with open sights - and do it regularly!

I was given a brand spanking 10/22 ruger at the age of 12 and used it for many years as an open sighted walk up rabbit rifle
until I handed it in after Port Arthur.

I still go for the occaisonal wander with an old BSA 5 I keep just for the fun of open sights.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by 1290 » 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 am

Warrigul wrote:
Noisydad wrote:Before my eyes got a bit ummmm "middle aged", I used to regularly shoot rabbits at 90 paces with my open sighted Stirling 22. It has a 4 x scope on it now. Still think everyone should learn to shoot with open sights - and do it regularly!

I was given a brand spanking 10/22 ruger at the age of 12 and used it for many years as an open sighted walk up rabbit rifle
until I handed it in after Port Arthur.

I still go for the occaisonal wander with an old BSA 5 I keep just for the fun of open sights.

I have regretted it ever since my decision to hand in the semi auto......I would advise all shooter to read Joe Vialls report on the matter... I digress.

Open sights - I've never scoped my 22s... more fun open sight, many rifles are available with 'iron sights' even centrefire, if not get your friendly local smith to fit them for you...

Re the ruskies (I'm pretty sure) are training with moist nugget 91/30 snipers; given that they're being sighted by a bloke with binos, they may be aiming at a balloon possibly for high elevation training..... maybe but less likely a plane.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Jessie » 31 Dec 2013, 4:36 pm

Target baloons hey? Interesting idea.

Surely not plane target practice :roll:

Helicopter maybe though, eh?
Jessie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by balter » 07 Jan 2014, 9:31 am

Put the deposit down for my first 22LR yesterday :D
balter
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Marfit » 17 Jan 2014, 8:02 pm

balter wrote:Put the deposit down for my first 22LR yesterday :D

Enjoy the fun. :D
Marfit
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 17 Jan 2014, 8:17 pm

Warrigul wrote:
yoshie wrote:100m from a 10inch pistol is the norm for rimfire metallic silhouette. The 100m ram is probably only 8-9 inches tall

I shoot mettalic silhouette at a different pistol club to my normal one and no one believes me that I hit rams at 100 with a single action ruger fitted with Mick Arden bases and Anschutz apeture sights.

They all reckon I am bullshitting.

I shoot IPSC with a few guys and they generally run rings around me, I invited them out to shoot at 100m with a rimfire and 44 and 200m with my contender( 7mm international R). They struggled to hit anything past 50 and were amazed at us getting more hits on at 200m than not. That day I also got all the turkeys at 150 with them all watching, something I haven't done before or since.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Apollo » 19 Jan 2014, 9:12 am

balter wrote:I know this will vary with heavy barrel or sporter and all the rest, but as a rule of thumb what do you guys think is the maximum accurate range for the 22LR cartridge?

Thinking about getting one at the moment but that they mostly do 50m shooting competitions with them has be wondering about range?

Can you regularly do 100m? 150m?

Thanks.

There are many 200m Rimfire Target Competitions, Sub Velocity Ammo only. Amazing what accuracy can be achieved. Great fun and a very good way of learning to read the wind for any type of shooting and calibre.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 20 Jan 2014, 7:32 am

Warrigul wrote:
yoshie wrote:100m from a 10inch pistol is the norm for rimfire metallic silhouette. The 100m ram is probably only 8-9 inches tall

I shoot mettalic silhouette at a different pistol club to my normal one and no one believes me that I hit rams at 100 with a single action ruger...

Because if they can't do it, it's not possible, right?
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles