Maximum accurate range for 22LR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Maximum accurate range for 22LR

Post by balter » 24 Dec 2013, 8:08 am

I know this will vary with heavy barrel or sporter and all the rest, but as a rule of thumb what do you guys think is the maximum accurate range for the 22LR cartridge?

Thinking about getting one at the moment but that they mostly do 50m shooting competitions with them has be wondering about range?

Can you regularly do 100m? 150m?

Thanks.
balter
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Maximum accurate range for 22LR

Post by Davies » 24 Dec 2013, 8:52 am

100m certainly.

150m though... Wind is really going to start throwing things around at this point. You'd want a perfectly calm day to avoid frustration with this I'd say.
Davies
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Dec 2013, 8:59 am

Agreed with the above.... 150 on a very good day.

If you want to step it out further then get yourself a .22 Magumn
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by balter » 24 Dec 2013, 9:55 am

Thanks guys.

I'm looking at 22LR for indoor ranges, not magnums in most cases :(

Would like to get out there for some pest hunting with it but indoor is where I'll be spending most of my time for sure, so 22LR is the most sensible choice to be honest.

Just wondering what I can get out of it if/when I do get out there with it. 100m should do the trick I think anyway.

Hey, I can always get another rifle if needed ;)

I understand 17HMR is the ticket for longest range rimfire?
Last edited by balter on 07 Jan 2014, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
balter
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Ariat » 24 Dec 2013, 10:17 am

150m would be no worries with 17HMR.

200m would be fine.

Beyond that you'd start to push it.
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 29 Dec 2013, 6:45 pm

First post here, thought I'd chime in....
There are two considerations with re to range;
Maximum effective range
Maximum accurate range,
they are distinct.
Max effective range would realistically be not much more then 100m, after that the energy drops such that it would need to be pretty well placed to take out the larger critters. Yes, reports of foxes out to 200+m abound...
Maximum accurate range, depending on the rifle now more so than the cartridge, could be many hundreds of metres..... if by accuracy you mean getting successive shots in a similar area...no reason why you cant plink to 1000m.... might need a 2000MoA base though !!! :D
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Muddy1967 » 29 Dec 2013, 6:50 pm

1290 wrote:First post here, thought I'd chime in....
Maximum effective range
Maximum accurate range, no reason why you cant plink to 1000m.... might need a 2000MoA base though !!! :D

So what you are saying is you need an abandoned big yellow bus at the end of the range to shoot at. :lol: :lol:
Just like Woodworking, Aim twice, Shoot once.

.222 Remington 700™ BDL™ HB - Center Point 4-16x40
Marlin XT-22lrsr - Leupold VariX-3 6.5-20x50
Muddy1967
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 29 Dec 2013, 7:08 pm

Muddy1967 wrote:
1290 wrote:First post here, thought I'd chime in....
Maximum effective range
Maximum accurate range, no reason why you cant plink to 1000m.... might need a 2000MoA base though !!! :D

So what you are saying is you need an abandoned big yellow bus at the end of the range to shoot at. :lol: :lol:

Maybe for the initial elevation dial in.... may need three or four stacked high, as I recall when I went through the calculation it was in the realm of 30m of bullet drop at a kay... or maybe more..
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Kipper » 29 Dec 2013, 7:16 pm

1290 wrote:Maybe for the initial elevation dial in.... may need three or four stacked high, as I recall when I went through the calculation it was in the realm of 30m of bullet drop at a kay... or maybe more..

Haven't checked... But pretty sure there isn't 30m of elevation adjust on any of my scopes :lol:
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Muddy1967 » 29 Dec 2013, 7:22 pm

1290 wrote:
Maybe for the initial elevation dial in.... may need three or four stacked high, as I recall when I went through the calculation it was in the realm of 30m of bullet drop at a kay... or maybe more..

I think I understand where the Pollies get the idea of us shooters shooting down planes.

We are all just aiming in the sky at a 1000m target not aiming at plains
Just like Woodworking, Aim twice, Shoot once.

.222 Remington 700™ BDL™ HB - Center Point 4-16x40
Marlin XT-22lrsr - Leupold VariX-3 6.5-20x50
Muddy1967
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 29 Dec 2013, 7:43 pm

Muddy1967 wrote:I think I understand where the Pollies get the idea of us shooters shooting down planes.

We are all just aiming in the sky at a 1000m target not aiming at plains

Hahaha.

That'll do it.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by batter » 30 Dec 2013, 8:24 am

Here we all are.

sniper-rifle-209.jpg
marksman training
sniper-rifle-209.jpg (61.79 KiB) Viewed 7309 times

:lol:
batter
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Norton » 30 Dec 2013, 12:27 pm

What the hell were they doing there?

Anyone seriously know?
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 30 Dec 2013, 4:51 pm

100m from a 10inch pistol is the norm for rimfire metallic silhouette. The 100m ram is probably only 8-9 inches tall
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Chronos » 30 Dec 2013, 6:02 pm

Thought you may be interested a few weeks ago I was shooting my .22 at steel plates at 350m, scope maxed out and 6foit hold over I was hitting the plate (maybe 1' square edit: sorry meant 2') two our of every three shots once I walked it on.

Long flight time though ;)

Bang

Ding! :)

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 30 Dec 2013, 7:41 pm

yoshie wrote:100m from a 10inch pistol is the norm for rimfire metallic silhouette. The 100m ram is probably only 8-9 inches tall

I shoot mettalic silhouette at a different pistol club to my normal one and no one believes me that I hit rams at 100 with a single action ruger fitted with Mick Arden bases and Anschutz apeture sights.

They all reckon I am bullshitting.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Noisydad » 30 Dec 2013, 9:17 pm

Before my eyes got a bit ummmm "middle aged", I used to regularly shoot rabbits at 90 paces with my open sighted Stirling 22. It has a 4 x scope on it now. Still think everyone should learn to shoot with open sights - and do it regularly!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Jessie » 31 Dec 2013, 8:07 am

Noisydad wrote:Still think everyone should learn to shoot with open sights - and do it regularly!

I think it would be good if they did more scope rifles with iron sights as well. Like the Ruger Scout for example.

So few have them, really limits your choice :(

It would be great if more had them so you could just pop the scope on or off as required when you wanted to use the iron sights.
Jessie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 31 Dec 2013, 9:48 am

Noisydad wrote:Before my eyes got a bit ummmm "middle aged", I used to regularly shoot rabbits at 90 paces with my open sighted Stirling 22. It has a 4 x scope on it now. Still think everyone should learn to shoot with open sights - and do it regularly!

I was given a brand spanking 10/22 ruger at the age of 12 and used it for many years as an open sighted walk up rabbit rifle
until I handed it in after Port Arthur.

I still go for the occaisonal wander with an old BSA 5 I keep just for the fun of open sights.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by 1290 » 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 am

Warrigul wrote:
Noisydad wrote:Before my eyes got a bit ummmm "middle aged", I used to regularly shoot rabbits at 90 paces with my open sighted Stirling 22. It has a 4 x scope on it now. Still think everyone should learn to shoot with open sights - and do it regularly!

I was given a brand spanking 10/22 ruger at the age of 12 and used it for many years as an open sighted walk up rabbit rifle
until I handed it in after Port Arthur.

I still go for the occaisonal wander with an old BSA 5 I keep just for the fun of open sights.

I have regretted it ever since my decision to hand in the semi auto......I would advise all shooter to read Joe Vialls report on the matter... I digress.

Open sights - I've never scoped my 22s... more fun open sight, many rifles are available with 'iron sights' even centrefire, if not get your friendly local smith to fit them for you...

Re the ruskies (I'm pretty sure) are training with moist nugget 91/30 snipers; given that they're being sighted by a bloke with binos, they may be aiming at a balloon possibly for high elevation training..... maybe but less likely a plane.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Jessie » 31 Dec 2013, 4:36 pm

Target baloons hey? Interesting idea.

Surely not plane target practice :roll:

Helicopter maybe though, eh?
Jessie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by balter » 07 Jan 2014, 9:31 am

Put the deposit down for my first 22LR yesterday :D
balter
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Marfit » 17 Jan 2014, 8:02 pm

balter wrote:Put the deposit down for my first 22LR yesterday :D

Enjoy the fun. :D
Marfit
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 17 Jan 2014, 8:17 pm

Warrigul wrote:
yoshie wrote:100m from a 10inch pistol is the norm for rimfire metallic silhouette. The 100m ram is probably only 8-9 inches tall

I shoot mettalic silhouette at a different pistol club to my normal one and no one believes me that I hit rams at 100 with a single action ruger fitted with Mick Arden bases and Anschutz apeture sights.

They all reckon I am bullshitting.

I shoot IPSC with a few guys and they generally run rings around me, I invited them out to shoot at 100m with a rimfire and 44 and 200m with my contender( 7mm international R). They struggled to hit anything past 50 and were amazed at us getting more hits on at 200m than not. That day I also got all the turkeys at 150 with them all watching, something I haven't done before or since.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Apollo » 19 Jan 2014, 9:12 am

balter wrote:I know this will vary with heavy barrel or sporter and all the rest, but as a rule of thumb what do you guys think is the maximum accurate range for the 22LR cartridge?

Thinking about getting one at the moment but that they mostly do 50m shooting competitions with them has be wondering about range?

Can you regularly do 100m? 150m?

Thanks.

There are many 200m Rimfire Target Competitions, Sub Velocity Ammo only. Amazing what accuracy can be achieved. Great fun and a very good way of learning to read the wind for any type of shooting and calibre.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 20 Jan 2014, 7:32 am

Warrigul wrote:

I shoot mettalic silhouette at a different pistol club to my normal one and no one believes me that I hit rams at 100 with a single action ruger...

Because if they can't do it, it's not possible, right?
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles