Tikka t1x rimfire

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Tikka t1x rimfire

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Apr 2020, 10:05 pm

Try some Eley High velocity hollow points, the black anodised ones.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 16 Apr 2020, 12:14 am

Shanno89 wrote:Just lay-buyed myself a T1x in .22lr. Can't wait to pick it up!

Looking for HP ammo recommendations for rabbit and foxes, plus plinking along the way.

I'll be getting some CCI SV for paper shooting as I've read they are the best value, but now I need to figure out what HPs to try?

I like using subsonic hollows in my 22...much less noise...
Plenty of them about to try
Win, CCI, RWS, Highland.

Buy a brick of any cheapies to ping through as well...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by K1200 » 17 Apr 2020, 4:34 pm

Hi guys. First time poster and newbie shooter here.
I'm 99% sure that I'm going to buy a new t1x soon with a leupold vx freedom 3-9x40.
My questions are... Can I get pic rail for this gun? Should I get 0moa? What scope rings should I get?
I reckon my shooting will be 25-250 metre plinking.
Cheers.
K1200
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Shanno89 » 17 Apr 2020, 10:11 pm

K1200 wrote:Hi guys. First time poster and newbie shooter here.
I'm 99% sure that I'm going to buy a new t1x soon with a leupold vx freedom 3-9x40.
My questions are... Can I get pic rail for this gun? Should I get 0moa? What scope rings should I get?
Cheers.

Hey mate, that's the same scope that I'm getting on my T1x. Yes you can get a pic rail. DIP and HIgh velocity hunting Australia make pic rails. From what I've read, a 20MOA will allow you to scope in longer distances, although 250m is a fairly long way for a 22.
For my set up, I was going to get a pic rail but they are $100 extra so I think I'll just go with rings on the dove tail.
Shanno89
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by K1200 » 17 Apr 2020, 10:48 pm

Thanks for the links. Will talk to the gun shop tomorrow and see if they can organise it for me.
Cheers
K1200
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by sungazer » 18 Apr 2020, 9:39 am

I would only go for a 0 moa rail. Mainly because under most situations that will put the recital in the middle of the adjustment range. To go out past 100 yrds on a 22 is a stretch and only for shooting paper at over 100. The drop from a 30 yrd zero is about 9.5 MOA well within most scopes adjustment.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 18 Apr 2020, 2:38 pm

K1200 wrote:Hi guys. First time poster and newbie shooter here.
Cheers.

I would recommend a 20MoA or 30MoA rail to get out to 250m, but make sure your scope has more than 20 or 30 minutes of elevation adjustment from centre or you won't be able to zero for close ranges. Or get a 0MoA rail but use an adjustable scope mount or rings.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Apr 2020, 2:43 pm

Shanno89 wrote:Just lay-buyed myself a T1x in .22lr. Can't wait to pick it up!

Looking for HP ammo recommendations for rabbit and foxes, plus plinking along the way.

I'll be getting some CCI SV for paper shooting as I've read they are the best value, but now I need to figure out what HPs to try?

Try lots of different ammo to find the most accurate in your rifle.
For rabbits and foxes I use subsonic 40gn round nose, I haven't needed high-velocity or hollow point, but if they were the most accurate in my rifle I would be using them.
Being able to place a solid bullet where it can kill cleanly (brain shots) is far more important than a HVHP roughly in the vicinity.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by K1200 » 18 Apr 2020, 6:18 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

I bought the Tikka this morning and ordered the DIP rail from interstate. Hope to have PTA by the end of next week so I can go and pick it up.
K1200
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Shanno89 » 26 Apr 2020, 9:51 pm

What scope rings are you fellas using on your T1xs? I've got a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 so a 1 inch tube.
Shanno89
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by alucarD » 08 Aug 2022, 6:46 pm

Hi all,
I just finished building my T1x into a precision shooter. Has anyone got any recommendations for good ammo?
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Aug 2022, 9:52 pm

alucarD wrote:Hi all,
I just finished building my T1x into a precision shooter. Has anyone got any recommendations for good ammo?

First, shoot some control groups with a decent ammo, like CCI Standard Velocity or Eley Match. Then put 1000rds down the tube to settle it in. I doubt it matters what it is so just the cheapest bulk you can get. This shooting also lets you settle into the rifle and scope, so keep track of the groups, and hopefully you can see them improving over time. Then buy a couple boxes of everything your local dealers can get you, and some bulk from each manufacturer. Then shoot ten 5rd groups at 50m with a manufacturer's bulk ammo, then five 5rd groups with each of that manufacturer's ammo. Five groups should be enough to tell you if it shoots well from round one or if it needs a few through it to settle in to the ammo. If it's not grouping in 25rds you're probably wasting your time with it. Do the same with each manufacturer's ammo. You should end up with five or six types that show promise. Shoot five 5rd groups at 100m to determine a winner, and a second-best, in case you ever run short of the primary, and hopefully you'll also find a cheap ammo that shoots almost as well for practicing with. Then shoot ten 5rd groups at 200m just to confirm it holds together over distance - some ammo shoots great to 100m then falls apart by 200m. Buy at least two cases of the good stuff and buy a new case before you open the last case so you always have at least one case on hand.

Then spend a lot of time practicing at 200m, or further if your competitions shoot further, on different days under different conditions. There's a good chance your competition are doing most of their practice at 50m or 100m just because it's easier and they like seeing those tighter groups. The thousands of rounds you have that don't shoot so great will be handy for practicing with. You need to shoot a lot better to hit a two-minute target with two-minute ammo than you do when you switch to your one-minute ammo.

Whatever conditions you find hurt your shooting the most is where you need to concentrate your practice, don't waste your time practicing on the stuff you're already good at, practice the hard stuff. Most of all, make sure you practice when it's windy and gusty, that's when shooter skill becomes vital.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alucarD » 23 Aug 2022, 10:10 pm

bladeracer wrote:

First, shoot some control groups with a decent ammo, like CCI Standard Velocity or Eley Match. Then put 1000rds down the tube to settle it in. I doubt it matters what it is so just the cheapest bulk you can get. This shooting also lets you settle into the rifle and scope, so keep track of the groups, and hopefully you can see them improving over time. Then buy a couple boxes of everything your local dealers can get you, and some bulk from each manufacturer. Then shoot ten 5rd groups at 50m with a manufacturer's bulk ammo, then five 5rd groups with each of that manufacturer's ammo. Five groups should be enough to tell you if it shoots well from round one or if it needs a few through it to settle in to the ammo. If it's not grouping in 25rds you're probably wasting your time with it. Do the same with each manufacturer's ammo. You should end up with five or six types that show promise. Shoot five 5rd groups at 100m to determine a winner, and a second-best, in case you ever run short of the primary, and hopefully you'll also find a cheap ammo that shoots almost as well for practicing with. Then shoot ten 5rd groups at 200m just to confirm it holds together over distance - some ammo shoots great to 100m then falls apart by 200m. Buy at least two cases of the good stuff and buy a new case before you open the last case so you always have at least one case on hand.

Then spend a lot of time practicing at 200m, or further if your competitions shoot further, on different days under different conditions. There's a good chance your competition are doing most of their practice at 50m or 100m just because it's easier and they like seeing those tighter groups. The thousands of rounds you have that don't shoot so great will be handy for practicing with. You need to shoot a lot better to hit a two-minute target with two-minute ammo than you do when you switch to your one-minute ammo.

Whatever conditions you find hurt your shooting the most is where you need to concentrate your practice, don't waste your time practicing on the stuff you're already good at, practice the hard stuff. Most of all, make sure you practice when it's windy and gusty, that's when shooter skill becomes vital.

Awesome! Thanks heaps for the advice brother! My local club is only 50m so I’ll do as you said and get plenty of lead down range to wear her in. Then I’ll head to a property I’ve got access to and stretch its legs. Can’t wait.
Thanks again
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 03 Sep 2022, 4:38 pm

Hi all,
Does people have trouble with ejection? Mine seems to not flick out the empties relatively frequently which is annoying. Feeds perfectly but. I tried old mates trick on YouTube to bend out the ejection wire a lil bit more but hasn’t solved the problem?? Anyone got any ideas for me to try?
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Sep 2022, 5:56 pm

Does people have trouble with ejection? Mine seems to not flick out the empties relatively frequently which is annoying. Feeds perfectly but. I tried old mates trick on YouTube to bend out the ejection wire a lil bit more but hasn’t solved the problem?? Anyone got any ideas for me to try?

Do you mean extraction rather than ejection?
If it's not extracting it might need the chamber and extractor cleaning. With my Rugers I strip the bolt every couple thousand rounds and clean it thoroughly.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alucarD » 04 Sep 2022, 2:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Do you mean extraction rather than ejection?
If it's not extracting it might need the chamber and extractor cleaning. With my Rugers I strip the bolt every couple thousand rounds and clean it thoroughly.

Nah dude… Extracts perfect but the dumb ejection spring lags out every 5-10 rounds and won’t flick out the empties. I matter how fast or slow I cycle the bolt.. the extractor hook doesn’t get much purchase on the case rim either and I’m wondering if that’s a factor too..
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2022, 3:13 pm

alucarD wrote:Nah dude… Extracts perfect but the dumb ejection spring lags out every 5-10 rounds and won’t flick out the empties. I matter how fast or slow I cycle the bolt.. the extractor hook doesn’t get much purchase on the case rim either and I’m wondering if that’s a factor too..

Doesn't seem to be an uncommon issue, and seems easy to fix.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/tikka-t1x-ejection-problem.1146599/
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alucarD » 04 Sep 2022, 9:53 pm

bladeracer wrote:
alucarD wrote:Nah dude… Extracts perfect but the dumb ejection spring lags out every 5-10 rounds and won’t flick out the empties. I matter how fast or slow I cycle the bolt.. the extractor hook doesn’t get much purchase on the case rim either and I’m wondering if that’s a factor too..

Doesn't seem to be an uncommon issue, and seems easy to fix.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/tikka-t1x-ejection-problem.1146599/

Yeah man read every thread I could find on it. Was just checking on here if others have had the same issue. I’ll give beretta a buzz and see what they say! Cheers mate
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 16 Dec 2022, 8:06 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know if there’s anywhere in Australia that sell T1X 5 shot mags?
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Nucopia » 18 Dec 2022, 3:48 pm

Been considering the Tikka for a while but couldnt take the last step until now to actually order one.

Thanks for the post and info guys , much appreciated!
Tikka T1x 22LR Bushranger VX 4-12x 50
Kral puncher Knight .177,22,25 Nicko Sterling 3-9x40
Every day is an adventure
Nucopia
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Nucopia » 20 Dec 2022, 11:46 am

Well I finally took that next step today and bought myself a Tikka T1X in 22 LR , synthetic stock 20” barrel also bought a bushranger 4-12x 50 scope bipod and sling .total package $.1,580. PTA is in the post so should be able to pick it up first week of the New Year …
Merry Christmas :D
Nucopia
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Nucopia » 20 Dec 2022, 8:19 pm

alucarD wrote:Hi,

Arms And Ammo 5/3 Arunga Dr, Beresfield NSW 2322,
They have 5 round mags..I was in there today and asked about them regular price is $99 but they have a sale on so you can get them for $90
Nucopia
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 30 Dec 2022, 10:29 am

Nucopia wrote:

Arms And Ammo 5/3 Arunga Dr, Beresfield NSW 2322,
They have 5 round mags..I was in there today and asked about them regular price is $99 but they have a sale on so you can get them for $90

Cheers bro! I’m a local there and didn’t know that haha
You will love the T1X.. I highly recommend dropping it into a chassis.. I dropped mine into an SCSA chassis and it turned it into a bloody tac driver and looks sick
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Dec 2022, 7:15 pm

alucarD wrote:
Nucopia wrote:

Cheers bro! I’m a local there and didn’t know that haha
You will love the T1X.. I highly recommend dropping it into a chassis.. I dropped mine into an SCSA chassis and it turned it into a bloody tac driver and looks sick

How did it shoot in the factory stock? They usually shoot well out of the box. What improvement did you notice by swapping to this chassis?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Nucopia » 05 Jan 2023, 2:00 pm

Nucopia wrote:Well I finally took that next step today and bought myself a Tikka T1X in 22 LR , synthetic stock 20” barrel also bought a bushranger 4-12x 50 scope bipod and sling .total package $.1,580. PTA is in the post so should be able to pick it up first week of the New Year …
Merry Christmas :D

Having second thoughts on what scope to get with the Tikka T1x
Choice is between the outback optics Bushranger VX 4-12x 50 at $349 which l have already paid for but haven’t picked up yet or adding $350 and ordering in a
Zero tech Thrive 4-16X50mm PHR II at $699.
Not sure if i should just leave the order as it is , or add the extra bucks..
The Tikka will be used on the range and for bunny busting out bush … dealer is ok with the change , just need to let them know in advance, before picking up the rifle so they can fit the scope I want.
Any suggestions welcome.
Nucopia
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ClaytonT88 » 12 Jan 2023, 2:42 pm

I don't have experience with either of the scopes you've mentioned, but I love mine fitted with the 3-9X40 Leupold, accurate out to 100m (50mm groups) and plenty of fun at 50m at the range.

I guess have a look through both, do some research and go with which one you think is best.
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Nucopia » 14 Jan 2023, 5:57 am

Thanks Clayton
Nucopia
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Nucopia » 07 Feb 2023, 9:27 am

First shoot with the new Tikka to zero the scope
Then shot 10x5 round groups
Pretty happy with the results
98D9A41B-A8B5-4D12-93E2-D0F09C18A287.jpeg
98D9A41B-A8B5-4D12-93E2-D0F09C18A287.jpeg (239.75 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Attachments
506020B7-04EB-4D0C-9979-A644792B207F.jpeg
506020B7-04EB-4D0C-9979-A644792B207F.jpeg (239.75 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Nucopia
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Nucopia » 07 Feb 2023, 9:32 am

Zeroing the scope
F2C3FBE6-36F7-4B5D-A1E8-A2C88C546F8F.jpeg
F2C3FBE6-36F7-4B5D-A1E8-A2C88C546F8F.jpeg (614.23 KiB) Viewed 1663 times

Would have been a good group without the flyer :lol:
C1E7B83C-1F3A-4AC5-BE6E-76C972C5CA20.jpeg
C1E7B83C-1F3A-4AC5-BE6E-76C972C5CA20.jpeg (582.35 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
Nucopia
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Latitude37 » 04 Jun 2023, 5:37 pm

I bought a T1X as my first rifle. 20" barrel, left handed. Burris 3-9 X 40. Picked it up in Feb, been learning which end is which since. Fortunately, have good friends around to help.
I've been shooting off a sand bag resting on the bonnet of my car, that was ok. Then picked up a 2nd hand Harris bipod, and that's made things really nice. Fairly consistent 1/2" groups @ 50m. Pretty happy with that. Adjusted the trigger to be much lighter yesterday, that was a great move.
Latitude37
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles