Tikka t1x rimfire

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Tikka t1x rimfire

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jul 2019, 5:58 pm

ando967 wrote:G'day all,

Ive just picked up my T1x and had it out on the farm today getting it on paper and playing around with some different ammo types and velocities. I haven't got a photo of it at the moment but I'm impressed, and the father-in-law couldn't believe how well it shot.

What I am wondering is if anyone has anyone has had to adjust the length of pull on it? I have the optics setup nicely and the eye relief is spot on but it isnt sitting firmly into my shoulder when prone, I was thinking some t3x spacers? Any suggestions other than putting it in a KRG Bravo stock which I already want to do hahaha

Do you mean that when you do pull the rifle into your shoulder you no longer have the correct eye relief? In that case you need to move the scope forward.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ando967 » 21 Jul 2019, 9:25 pm

I'll have a look tomorrow evening and see if I can play with it a bit. I was pretty confident with the setup but I'll run through my procedure again and see if its sets up the same.
ando967
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by ClaytonT88 » 22 Jul 2019, 7:48 am

Hi Ando. I popped a T3X recoil pad on mine to improve the feel/ hold when shooting from the bench, the rifle felt a little small without it. In saying that I haven't been out shooting with it fitted yet but I did notice I had to move the scope back to keep the same eye relief.
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by ando967 » 23 Jul 2019, 8:31 pm

Ran through my optical setup from scratch again today. I did end up moving the optic forward another 15mm or so from where I indexed it with a mechanical pencil, until the turret maxed out against the mounts then backed it off a hair. Eye relief is good, no fuzzy black haze and a nice even shadow. I still think the addition of a recoil pad/spacer would help as it feels short to me I'm 6'2 so not super tall, but I'm going to run with it as it is as it does feel good in sitting and kneeling positions.
ando967
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by ClaytonT88 » 27 Jul 2019, 8:23 pm

Good to hear Ando.

I got out with mine this afternoon and shot some groups, I certainly wasn't shooting my best in near perfect conditions which was disappointing, I'll be looking at a scope with Parallax adjustment very soon, I think I'm making too many errors with my head placement resulting in inconsistent groups, the rifle certainly shoots better than me at this stage.

I made a few of my own targets too so I don't have to keep wandering back and forth changing them but I need to improve a couple of my designs...

I was very impressed with the CCI Mini Mags when comparing them to the RWS HV HP and the Winchester Power Points:
I also shot several groups in the standard stock with the T3X Recoil Pad vs. the Bell and Carlson M40 stock I bought the other week 2nd hand. The palm grip on the M40 Stock suits me a lot more and my groups tightened up and became much more consistent with this stock, the cheek position is a bit slippery though or maybe it's just my beard?

CCI Mini Mag:
Tikka Stock : Best Groups: 28mm @ 50m and 150mm @ 100m
Bell and Carlson: Best Groups: 20mm @ 50m and 60mm @ 100m (Best Group @ 100m of all ammo)

RWS HV HP:
Tikka Stock: Best Group: 32mm @ 50m (Didn't shoot this ammo at 100m in the Tikka Stock)
Bell and Carlson: Best Groups: 28mm @ 50m and 75mm @ 100m

Win PP:
Tikka Stock: (No groups with this ammo and stock - I only had 20 rounds left)
Bell and Carlson: Best Group: 24mm @ 50m

SK Rifle Match:
Tikka Stock: 45mm @ 50m, definitely me and not the rifle, this should be consistently <20mm groups.
Bell and Carlson: 20mm @ 50m and 75mm @ 100m

Lapua Center-X:
Only 1 group @ 50m: 20mm 10 shot group.

Below are a few of my targets, Happy with my design of the 40mm circles and the 8mm dot in the centre, easier to see at 50m compared the 20mm circles and the 4mm dot.

IMG_20190727_0001.jpg
IMG_20190727_0001.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 10051 times

40mm circles and 8mm centre dot, I'll use these for 50m group testing from now on. Burns through some ammo but good fun!

IMG_20190727_0002.jpg
IMG_20190727_0002.jpg (844.6 KiB) Viewed 10051 times

20mm Circles, 4mm centre dot, A bit hard to see at 50m with a 9X scope but would be good for 25m or to try 1 shot repeatability.

IMG_20190727_0003.jpg
IMG_20190727_0003.jpg (1008.83 KiB) Viewed 10051 times

The group in the centre was my best group of the day at 100m, I think there's 2 shots in one hole as the top group for sighting purposes has 10 shots. Very happy with the Mini Mags!

IMG_20190727_0004.jpg
IMG_20190727_0004.jpg (857.63 KiB) Viewed 10051 times

RWS HV HP, 10 shots at 100m - Not too bad really, better than I thought it would go with it's performance at 50m today, but I think better groups could be had when I'm shooting better.

IMG_20190727_0005.jpg
IMG_20190727_0005.jpg (866.58 KiB) Viewed 10051 times

SK Rifle Match, 10 shots @ 100m. I expected this to group better than the Mini Mags but with a 9X scope and a 22LR consistent 75mm groups is pretty good I guess.

Definitely felt out of practice today to begin with and shot some very average groups because of it. Overall very happy with the B+C Stock, felt very comfortable compared to the Standard Tikka Stock.

I left my phone at home so I didn't get a piccie of the stock and the set up down the range today but it was a pretty fantastic way to spend a couple of hours! :drinks:
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Shanno89 » 15 Apr 2020, 12:13 pm

Just lay-buyed myself a T1x in .22lr. Can't wait to pick it up!

Looking for HP ammo recommendations for rabbit and foxes, plus plinking along the way.

I'll be getting some CCI SV for paper shooting as I've read they are the best value, but now I need to figure out what HPs to try?
Shanno89
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Apr 2020, 10:05 pm

Try some Eley High velocity hollow points, the black anodised ones.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 16 Apr 2020, 12:14 am

Shanno89 wrote:Just lay-buyed myself a T1x in .22lr. Can't wait to pick it up!

Looking for HP ammo recommendations for rabbit and foxes, plus plinking along the way.

I'll be getting some CCI SV for paper shooting as I've read they are the best value, but now I need to figure out what HPs to try?

I like using subsonic hollows in my 22...much less noise...
Plenty of them about to try
Win, CCI, RWS, Highland.

Buy a brick of any cheapies to ping through as well...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by K1200 » 17 Apr 2020, 4:34 pm

Hi guys. First time poster and newbie shooter here.
I'm 99% sure that I'm going to buy a new t1x soon with a leupold vx freedom 3-9x40.
My questions are... Can I get pic rail for this gun? Should I get 0moa? What scope rings should I get?
I reckon my shooting will be 25-250 metre plinking.
Cheers.
K1200
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Shanno89 » 17 Apr 2020, 10:11 pm

K1200 wrote:Hi guys. First time poster and newbie shooter here.
I'm 99% sure that I'm going to buy a new t1x soon with a leupold vx freedom 3-9x40.
My questions are... Can I get pic rail for this gun? Should I get 0moa? What scope rings should I get?
Cheers.

Hey mate, that's the same scope that I'm getting on my T1x. Yes you can get a pic rail. DIP and HIgh velocity hunting Australia make pic rails. From what I've read, a 20MOA will allow you to scope in longer distances, although 250m is a fairly long way for a 22.
For my set up, I was going to get a pic rail but they are $100 extra so I think I'll just go with rings on the dove tail.
Shanno89
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by K1200 » 17 Apr 2020, 10:48 pm

Thanks for the links. Will talk to the gun shop tomorrow and see if they can organise it for me.
Cheers
K1200
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by sungazer » 18 Apr 2020, 9:39 am

I would only go for a 0 moa rail. Mainly because under most situations that will put the recital in the middle of the adjustment range. To go out past 100 yrds on a 22 is a stretch and only for shooting paper at over 100. The drop from a 30 yrd zero is about 9.5 MOA well within most scopes adjustment.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 18 Apr 2020, 2:38 pm

K1200 wrote:Hi guys. First time poster and newbie shooter here.
Cheers.

I would recommend a 20MoA or 30MoA rail to get out to 250m, but make sure your scope has more than 20 or 30 minutes of elevation adjustment from centre or you won't be able to zero for close ranges. Or get a 0MoA rail but use an adjustable scope mount or rings.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Apr 2020, 2:43 pm

Shanno89 wrote:Just lay-buyed myself a T1x in .22lr. Can't wait to pick it up!

Try lots of different ammo to find the most accurate in your rifle.
For rabbits and foxes I use subsonic 40gn round nose, I haven't needed high-velocity or hollow point, but if they were the most accurate in my rifle I would be using them.
Being able to place a solid bullet where it can kill cleanly (brain shots) is far more important than a HVHP roughly in the vicinity.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by K1200 » 18 Apr 2020, 6:18 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

I bought the Tikka this morning and ordered the DIP rail from interstate. Hope to have PTA by the end of next week so I can go and pick it up.
K1200
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Shanno89 » 26 Apr 2020, 9:51 pm

What scope rings are you fellas using on your T1xs? I've got a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 so a 1 inch tube.
Shanno89
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by alucarD » 08 Aug 2022, 6:46 pm

Hi all,
I just finished building my T1x into a precision shooter. Has anyone got any recommendations for good ammo?
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Aug 2022, 9:52 pm

alucarD wrote:Hi all,
I just finished building my T1x into a precision shooter. Has anyone got any recommendations for good ammo?

First, shoot some control groups with a decent ammo, like CCI Standard Velocity or Eley Match. Then put 1000rds down the tube to settle it in. I doubt it matters what it is so just the cheapest bulk you can get. This shooting also lets you settle into the rifle and scope, so keep track of the groups, and hopefully you can see them improving over time. Then buy a couple boxes of everything your local dealers can get you, and some bulk from each manufacturer. Then shoot ten 5rd groups at 50m with a manufacturer's bulk ammo, then five 5rd groups with each of that manufacturer's ammo. Five groups should be enough to tell you if it shoots well from round one or if it needs a few through it to settle in to the ammo. If it's not grouping in 25rds you're probably wasting your time with it. Do the same with each manufacturer's ammo. You should end up with five or six types that show promise. Shoot five 5rd groups at 100m to determine a winner, and a second-best, in case you ever run short of the primary, and hopefully you'll also find a cheap ammo that shoots almost as well for practicing with. Then shoot ten 5rd groups at 200m just to confirm it holds together over distance - some ammo shoots great to 100m then falls apart by 200m. Buy at least two cases of the good stuff and buy a new case before you open the last case so you always have at least one case on hand.

Then spend a lot of time practicing at 200m, or further if your competitions shoot further, on different days under different conditions. There's a good chance your competition are doing most of their practice at 50m or 100m just because it's easier and they like seeing those tighter groups. The thousands of rounds you have that don't shoot so great will be handy for practicing with. You need to shoot a lot better to hit a two-minute target with two-minute ammo than you do when you switch to your one-minute ammo.

Whatever conditions you find hurt your shooting the most is where you need to concentrate your practice, don't waste your time practicing on the stuff you're already good at, practice the hard stuff. Most of all, make sure you practice when it's windy and gusty, that's when shooter skill becomes vital.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alucarD » 23 Aug 2022, 10:10 pm

bladeracer wrote:

First, shoot some control groups with a decent ammo, like CCI Standard Velocity or Eley Match. Then put 1000rds down the tube to settle it in. I doubt it matters what it is so just the cheapest bulk you can get. This shooting also lets you settle into the rifle and scope, so keep track of the groups, and hopefully you can see them improving over time. Then buy a couple boxes of everything your local dealers can get you, and some bulk from each manufacturer. Then shoot ten 5rd groups at 50m with a manufacturer's bulk ammo, then five 5rd groups with each of that manufacturer's ammo. Five groups should be enough to tell you if it shoots well from round one or if it needs a few through it to settle in to the ammo. If it's not grouping in 25rds you're probably wasting your time with it. Do the same with each manufacturer's ammo. You should end up with five or six types that show promise. Shoot five 5rd groups at 100m to determine a winner, and a second-best, in case you ever run short of the primary, and hopefully you'll also find a cheap ammo that shoots almost as well for practicing with. Then shoot ten 5rd groups at 200m just to confirm it holds together over distance - some ammo shoots great to 100m then falls apart by 200m. Buy at least two cases of the good stuff and buy a new case before you open the last case so you always have at least one case on hand.

Then spend a lot of time practicing at 200m, or further if your competitions shoot further, on different days under different conditions. There's a good chance your competition are doing most of their practice at 50m or 100m just because it's easier and they like seeing those tighter groups. The thousands of rounds you have that don't shoot so great will be handy for practicing with. You need to shoot a lot better to hit a two-minute target with two-minute ammo than you do when you switch to your one-minute ammo.

Whatever conditions you find hurt your shooting the most is where you need to concentrate your practice, don't waste your time practicing on the stuff you're already good at, practice the hard stuff. Most of all, make sure you practice when it's windy and gusty, that's when shooter skill becomes vital.

Awesome! Thanks heaps for the advice brother! My local club is only 50m so I’ll do as you said and get plenty of lead down range to wear her in. Then I’ll head to a property I’ve got access to and stretch its legs. Can’t wait.
Thanks again
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 03 Sep 2022, 4:38 pm

Hi all,
Does people have trouble with ejection? Mine seems to not flick out the empties relatively frequently which is annoying. Feeds perfectly but. I tried old mates trick on YouTube to bend out the ejection wire a lil bit more but hasn’t solved the problem?? Anyone got any ideas for me to try?
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Sep 2022, 5:56 pm

Does people have trouble with ejection? Mine seems to not flick out the empties relatively frequently which is annoying. Feeds perfectly but. I tried old mates trick on YouTube to bend out the ejection wire a lil bit more but hasn’t solved the problem?? Anyone got any ideas for me to try?

Do you mean extraction rather than ejection?
If it's not extracting it might need the chamber and extractor cleaning. With my Rugers I strip the bolt every couple thousand rounds and clean it thoroughly.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alucarD » 04 Sep 2022, 2:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Do you mean extraction rather than ejection?
If it's not extracting it might need the chamber and extractor cleaning. With my Rugers I strip the bolt every couple thousand rounds and clean it thoroughly.

Nah dude… Extracts perfect but the dumb ejection spring lags out every 5-10 rounds and won’t flick out the empties. I matter how fast or slow I cycle the bolt.. the extractor hook doesn’t get much purchase on the case rim either and I’m wondering if that’s a factor too..
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Sep 2022, 3:13 pm

alucarD wrote:Nah dude… Extracts perfect but the dumb ejection spring lags out every 5-10 rounds and won’t flick out the empties. I matter how fast or slow I cycle the bolt.. the extractor hook doesn’t get much purchase on the case rim either and I’m wondering if that’s a factor too..

Doesn't seem to be an uncommon issue, and seems easy to fix.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/tikka-t1x-ejection-problem.1146599/
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alucarD » 04 Sep 2022, 9:53 pm

bladeracer wrote:
alucarD wrote:Nah dude… Extracts perfect but the dumb ejection spring lags out every 5-10 rounds and won’t flick out the empties. I matter how fast or slow I cycle the bolt.. the extractor hook doesn’t get much purchase on the case rim either and I’m wondering if that’s a factor too..

Doesn't seem to be an uncommon issue, and seems easy to fix.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/tikka-t1x-ejection-problem.1146599/

Yeah man read every thread I could find on it. Was just checking on here if others have had the same issue. I’ll give beretta a buzz and see what they say! Cheers mate
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 16 Dec 2022, 8:06 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know if there’s anywhere in Australia that sell T1X 5 shot mags?
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Nucopia » 18 Dec 2022, 3:48 pm

Been considering the Tikka for a while but couldnt take the last step until now to actually order one.

Thanks for the post and info guys , much appreciated!
Tikka T1x 22LR Bushranger VX 4-12x 50
Kral puncher Knight .177,22,25 Nicko Sterling 3-9x40
Every day is an adventure
Nucopia
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Nucopia » 20 Dec 2022, 11:46 am

Well I finally took that next step today and bought myself a Tikka T1X in 22 LR , synthetic stock 20” barrel also bought a bushranger 4-12x 50 scope bipod and sling .total package $.1,580. PTA is in the post so should be able to pick it up first week of the New Year …
Merry Christmas :D
Nucopia
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Nucopia » 20 Dec 2022, 8:19 pm

alucarD wrote:Hi,

Arms And Ammo 5/3 Arunga Dr, Beresfield NSW 2322,
They have 5 round mags..I was in there today and asked about them regular price is $99 but they have a sale on so you can get them for $90
Nucopia
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by alucarD » 30 Dec 2022, 10:29 am

Nucopia wrote:

Arms And Ammo 5/3 Arunga Dr, Beresfield NSW 2322,
They have 5 round mags..I was in there today and asked about them regular price is $99 but they have a sale on so you can get them for $90

Cheers bro! I’m a local there and didn’t know that haha
You will love the T1X.. I highly recommend dropping it into a chassis.. I dropped mine into an SCSA chassis and it turned it into a bloody tac driver and looks sick
Aim small miss small..
alucarD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Dec 2022, 7:15 pm

alucarD wrote:
Nucopia wrote:

Cheers bro! I’m a local there and didn’t know that haha
You will love the T1X.. I highly recommend dropping it into a chassis.. I dropped mine into an SCSA chassis and it turned it into a bloody tac driver and looks sick

How did it shoot in the factory stock? They usually shoot well out of the box. What improvement did you notice by swapping to this chassis?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles