Buying another .22lr...?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Buying another .22lr...?

Post by Stix » 08 Jan 2018, 6:44 pm

Im toying with the idea of getting another cheaper .22lr...(Not that i need one)...toying with buying a cheap (<$350 ish) older used rifle.

Does anyone know much about Krico as a brand...?

I know bigrich has one or two rifles that are Krico's, so hopefully he & anyone else with knowledge &/or experience can put forward their thoughts.

Alternatively, are any of the cheap new ones much chop...?,
& if so should i just buy new...?
(My thoughts are if i spend on a used one & it doesnt shoot to my liking, ill hopefully be able to recoup most of the initial outlay.

Cheers for your thoughts.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Buying another .22lr...?

Post by allan » 08 Jan 2018, 6:55 pm

Are you thinking about this one?
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=110875
Back in the day, I owned a number of Euro rim fires including Krico, Voere & the Belgian Brownings. All were well built and the attention to overall finish was better than many of to-day's offerings regardless of price.
You really need to be able to handle rifles of this vintage though as condition is everything given their age and parts (if required) will be almost impossible to obtain.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by bigrich » 08 Jan 2018, 7:19 pm

just found your post stix. here is a comparisson between a late 60's krico 22lr - original unmodified, factory adjustable trigger, not as light as cz's, worn trigger pin so the trigger wobbles side to side, ALOT, and my cz supermatch - 12 groove barrel, bedded from factory, 24" barrel. these groups are with clean barrels and both wear a 3-9x40 scope. both barrels were clean when these groups were shot
Attachments
SAM_0589.JPG
krico groups across the top, cz groups below. fed 38gr left,eley club centre, eley sport on right
SAM_0589.JPG (836.74 KiB) Viewed 7218 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 08 Jan 2018, 7:26 pm

the correct term for the cz is 452 2e
Attachments
SAM_0590.JPG
late 60's krico, scopes of cause it's gunna get it's trigger fixed soon
SAM_0590.JPG (794.78 KiB) Viewed 7215 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 08 Jan 2018, 7:36 pm

the point of my posts stix is to show how well old german guns can shoot. cz452 2e is supposed to be the bee's knees and the old krico matched it. but as more groups were shot the cz tightned up to three shots touching at 50, the krico increased slightly. i haven't owned a old anschutz but there supposed to be the bomb. chinese norinco ? cheap and very accurate i'm told
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 08 Jan 2018, 7:58 pm

My Annie 1710 is the bees and it is only a few years old. I mean on a good day (wind) you can hit the exact spot you want repeatedly Awesome I wish my centrfired would shoot as well. .
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 08 Jan 2018, 8:12 pm

yup, SG, wind is the enemy of rimfires. took my 22 mag to the range for a play and it wasn't that impressive.bit of gusty wind. last time i was out it was getting under 1" at 100. was a hot day but. have heard that can effect ammo. opinions ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 08 Jan 2018, 9:09 pm

Stix wrote:Im toying with the idea of getting another cheaper .22lr...(Not that i need one)...toying with buying a cheap (<$350 ish) older used rifle.

Does anyone know much about Krico as a brand...?

I know bigrich has one or two rifles that are Krico's, so hopefully he & anyone else with knowledge &/or experience can put forward their thoughts.

Alternatively, are any of the cheap new ones much chop...?,
& if so should i just buy new...?
(My thoughts are if i spend on a used one & it doesnt shoot to my liking, ill hopefully be able to recoup most of the initial outlay.

Cheers for your thoughts.

From what I understand Brno's and Sako's were the top shelf .22's in the 50's and 60's. Followed by Krico's or Voere's. But in saying that, any European built .22 of any of those brands in the 50's and 60's even today holds up very well in the accuracy stakes. The Metallurgy of the Barrels and the tolerances, fit and finish is far superior by today's standards.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 08 Jan 2018, 9:36 pm

Wind is the enemy of all riffles. It is he that can read the wind best that usually wins any longer range competition. Probably can say that about all competitions really. The only way to learn that skill is talk to the old blokes that have been shooting for decades and practice taking notes on all the little things you see or pick up on at different distances down the range.

You definitely want to keep your ammo out of the sun as much as possible. I have seen it carried in little eskies on hot days and like wise on really cold days try and keep it at that room temp. Temps effect velocities how even are the temps in all the cartridges you went to a lot of trouble to make them all the same. Temperatures can change that and send your shot scattering.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 09 Jan 2018, 5:25 am

yeh SG, i thought i read somewhere what you said about temp and ammo. that's a thing i'm finding about rimfires. they can be fickle to conditions. i wanna see how me old mate stoney's uncle's 22 voere shoots :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 09 Jan 2018, 6:30 am

allan wrote:Are you thinking about this one?
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=110875
Back in the day, I owned a number of Euro rim fires including Krico, Voere & the Belgian Brownings. All were well built and the attention to overall finish was better than many of to-day's offerings regardless of price.
You really need to be able to handle rifles of this vintage though as condition is everything given their age and parts (if required) will be almost impossible to obtain.

Well if i wasn't thinking of it, i am now...!!!

They dont know the model of the rifle, is that around the money for that style/vintage rifle...?

And does anyone know how to age a (or in this case, that) Krico...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 09 Jan 2018, 7:57 am

You can make a centerfire shoot like a rimfire - I shoot carfully sorted RNBB lead pills at 1050fps (over Trail Boss) through my 308w bolt. It’s like a giant 22lr and is just as accurate as my 22lr target rifle. It’s the perfect practice load for high-power metallic silhouette; i made a stencil with relatively scaled silhouette targets (for 50m) which I can spray paint onto cardboard.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 09 Jan 2018, 9:45 am

I had my ammo out of the car and under shade until the sun moved. It go so hot that the wax on the rimfire stuff was melting. It made at least 2/10 mil difference at 100. it still grouped but was considerably faster.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Lumbajak » 09 Jan 2018, 1:34 pm

bigrich wrote:the point of my posts stix is to show how well old german guns can shoot. cz452 2e is supposed to be the bee's knees and the old krico matched it. but as more groups were shot the cz tightned up to three shots touching at 50, the krico increased slightly. i haven't owned a old anschutz but there supposed to be the bomb. chinese norinco ? cheap and very accurate i'm told

Spot on big rich, I have a norinco 22 that I use as a loner to mates when we are plinking and fooling around. Picked it up for a song and is a rip-off cz. Fits the bill for sure and won’t break the bank and will still shoot minute of bunny!
Roll your own!

Brno 22
Anschutz 222
96 Mauser 6.5x55
Tikka sporter 6.5x55
Sako 85 Bavarian carbine 6.5x55
7600 carbine 308
HTR 300 Win Mag
Lumbajak
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 09 Jan 2018, 1:48 pm

Norinco is good, bit rough when new but might appeal to a tinkerer. Solid build quality but not finished nicely. Stocks need to be defluffed and cleaned up. Metal works needs a polish and deburring. Clone of a solid CZ action, so well proven. For a cheap plinker they are great. I have a JW-25 'Chauser' and it's a great fun gun that is plenty accurate.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 09 Jan 2018, 5:25 pm

bigrich wrote:yeh SG, i thought i read somewhere what you said about temp and ammo. that's a thing i'm finding about rimfires. they can be fickle to conditions. i wanna see how me old mate stoney's uncle's 22 voere shoots :D

Uncles .22 is now mine bigrich, ....well soon. :D :D . Oh look , if it shoots "reasonable " I'm happy. It's a no frills Voere .22 made in the early 60's probably more suited to bush plinking than targets looking at the barrel profile, but who knows, it might surprise me. I'm really happy with it either way due to the history. And it will make a good project for checkering the stock once I become adept.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 09 Jan 2018, 5:41 pm

I bought a Toz17 in good nick for $125 last year, wanted another scoped .22 so I could give my model 2 Brno a rest in filthy weather. Nowhere near as nice to handle, stock is slabby, finish is Russian, bolt is agricultural - But it shoots just as well as my Brno.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 09 Jan 2018, 6:26 pm

Wombat wrote:I bought a Toz17 in good nick for $125 last year, wanted another scoped .22 so I could give my model 2 Brno a rest in filthy weather. Nowhere near as nice to handle, stock is slabby, finish is Russian, bolt is agricultural - But it shoots just as well as my Brno.

That's the bizarre thing about .22's Wombat. I had an old Toz single shot back in the 90's. Terribly rough finished gun, but it shot amazing groups. I have also witnessed some very good groups from JW-15's, much to the disgust of the snobby crowd.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 09 Jan 2018, 6:41 pm

i dunno fellas, all the rifles i've got "spoke" to me in some way.some quirk ,ability or historical angle.probably why i have three krico's of different calibres, a m96 swede and a mod 94 30-30 in my collection. stoney likes his martini cadets, i bin thinking of a build up in 357 mag. when they play up or have issues i hate them and bitch to stoney about selling some of them :crazy: . i guess if ya lookin for another cheap 22 stix ya gotta find something that appeals to ya in some way . had a mate years ago with a pump action 1906 model winchester 22lr with a hex barrel. was a fun thing to play with and a unusual rifle.scan used guns/ozgunsales and see if ya find anything ya like. as for dating krico's , google is your friend. do a google on krico 300 for 22's, 400 for 22lr, 22mag and 22 hornets, and 600 series for 222,22-250 ,243,308. these are rare and finding parts if you need them can be a issue. and no stix ya cant have my hornet rifle :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 09 Jan 2018, 7:35 pm

bigrich wrote:i dunno fellas, all the rifles i've got "spoke" to me in some way.some quirk ,ability or historical angle.probably why i have three krico's of different calibres, a m96 swede and a mod 94 30-30 in my collection. stoney likes his martini cadets, i bin thinking of a build up in 357 mag. when they play up or have issues i hate them and bitch to stoney about selling some of them :crazy: . i guess if ya lookin for another cheap 22 stix ya gotta find something that appeals to ya in some way . had a mate years ago with a pump action 1906 model winchester 22lr with a hex barrel. was a fun thing to play with and a unusual rifle.scan used guns/ozgunsales and see if ya find anything ya like. as for dating krico's , google is your friend. do a google on krico 300 for 22's, 400 for 22lr, 22mag and 22 hornets, and 600 series for 222,22-250 ,243,308. these are rare and finding parts if you need them can be a issue. and no stix ya cant have my hornet rifle :lol:

Your Krico's are bloody superb bigrich. There is no doubt about that. Stix buy a Krico, I highly doubt you will be disappointed.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Jan 2018, 4:50 pm

hey stix, just looked at the used guns link, i would buy that krico for that money. looks the same as mine except you have the five round mag. no garuntee on a adjustable trigger, but i would be supprised if it didn't have one. do it stix, you know you want too. :clap: join the elite krico owners :welcome: achtung dumkoff, u shud own zat least vun german wifle. vee have vays u know ! :lol: :D :drinks: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 10 Jan 2018, 5:13 pm

:lol:
Im another week at the mine mate...my hands are tied for now...
Ill see if its available when i get back home...

You're pretty good with that accent...!!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 10 Jan 2018, 7:42 pm

watched plenty of " hogan's heroes" when i was a kid mate. you should see me with a gutfull of moonshine in me orange valiant charger trying to outrun the sheriff :lol: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles