Ruger American Stainless 22lr

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Ruger American Stainless 22lr

Post by Milesy » 09 Jan 2018, 8:09 pm

Greetings Shooters
PTA about to run out and I am at pains to take the leap but these things seem to be out of stock at most LGS.
Like the Brand as have 223 in SS and for entry level shoots pretty good.
Curious to see if anyone has one and if you rate them.
Cheers Milesy
Ruger American 223 Stainless
WW Greener Martini Action 12g
Ruger American 22lr Blued
Savage Mk11 BV 22lr
SHS STP 12g
Tikka T3X 308 Win SS Lite
Milesy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Ruger American Stainless 22lr

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jan 2018, 8:18 pm

Not in stainless.

But I have the Compact and Target models in MDT LSS-22 chassis and love them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by hazza3006 » 09 Jan 2018, 9:28 pm

Not in stainless, but have the ruger american 22lr standard, and for entry level price, I've been very happy once i found ammo it likes, CCI SV, CCI Subsonic HP and CCI Velocitor. Any reason why you want stainless? Doing a lot of hunting in the rain?
hazza3006
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Milesy » 10 Jan 2018, 6:46 am

Thanks Gents
Not necessarily hunting in rain just prefer to look good to hear the blues runs well though I can save a $100 and have iron sights.
Savage Mk11 BV 22lr
SHS STP 12g
Milesy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jan 2018, 11:35 am

hharry06@gmail.com wrote:Not in stainless, but have the ruger american 22lr standard, and for entry level price, I've been very happy once i found ammo it likes, CCI SV, CCI Subsonic HP and CCI Velocitor. Any reason why you want stainless? Doing a lot of hunting in the rain?

I tried the CCI Suppressor yesterday in the Compact and it shoots very well.
Very blustery winds yesterday but I put 20rds of CCI SV and 20rds of CCI Suppressor into 75mm groups at 100m off the bench.
I was specifically looking at the drop comparison. The Suppressor 45gn only drops 80mm from the CCI SV 40gn zero at 100m.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by hazza3006 » 10 Jan 2018, 3:31 pm

bladeracer wrote:
hharry06@gmail.com wrote:Not in stainless, but have the ruger american 22lr standard, and for entry level price, I've been very happy once i found ammo it likes, CCI SV, CCI Subsonic HP and CCI Velocitor. Any reason why you want stainless? Doing a lot of hunting in the rain?

I tried the CCI Suppressor yesterday in the Compact and it shoots very well.
Very blustery winds yesterday but I put 20rds of CCI SV and 20rds of CCI Suppressor into 75mm groups at 100m off the bench.
I was specifically looking at the drop comparison. The Suppressor 45gn only drops 80mm from the CCI SV 40gn zero at 100m.

Yeah CCI seem to making some good ammo at the moment, i tried the CCI quiet and CCI quiet segmented, but has issues with very inconsistent muzzle velocity which just destroys accuracy.

Tried RSW subsonic HP, and was very surprised how badly it performed, and also suffered from very inconsistent muzzle velocity and poor accuracy

The most consistent for sure has been the CCI SV, CCI Subsonic HP and CCI Velocitors, very consistent muzzle velocity and nice tight groups, and price is good, so covers just about every scenario i need.
hazza3006
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Milesy » 18 Jan 2018, 7:40 pm

Picked up the American today in 22LR Blued from Terry Hills, Good fella and had a good chat looking forward having a crack at using Iron sights to see if I have any skills at all.
Here’s hoping the eyes don’t fail me. They are not 14 year old eyes which is the last time they shot with iron sights.
Savage Mk11 BV 22lr
SHS STP 12g
Milesy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 16 Feb 2018, 7:47 am

Milesy wrote:Not necessarily hunting in rain just prefer the look

Cleans a bit easier in stainless too I reckon.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles