First rifle for new shooter - .17 WMR? 22 Mag?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: First rifle for new shooter - .17 WMR? 22 Mag?

Post by bigrich » 02 Mar 2018, 1:53 pm

well stix, my wabbits from tenterfeild had unmarked livers with no marks like that and those "welts" on the meat do look sus to me. hmmm, a week in the freezer would kill any parasites or virus i bin told. maybe a good long cook as a stew just to be safe ? have heard the wabbit virus can make you sick but if it's been frozen and cooked properly the virus would be dead right ? you try it old mate and if you don't drop dead or turn into a were-rabbit we'll know it's alright :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 02 Mar 2018, 2:03 pm

bigrich wrote:well stix, my wabbits from tenterfeild had unmarked livers with no marks like that and those "welts" on the meat do look sus to me. hmmm, a week in the freezer would kill any parasites or virus i bin told. maybe a good long cook as a stew just to be safe ? have heard the wabbit virus can make you sick but if it's been frozen and cooked properly the virus would be dead right ? you try it old mate and if you don't drop dead or turn into a were-rabbit we'll know it's alright :lol:

FWIW sorry but I don't agree that the freezer kills parasites or viruses - this is anecdotal. Heat kills parasites and bacteria, but not cold. It's a fact that Tularemia can actually live for years in you freezer. With regard to viruses, humans can't contract rabbit viruses because our genetic makeup is fundamentally different to a rabbit.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 02 Mar 2018, 2:26 pm

yeh in2anity ya probably right. i did say "whut i bin told..." not saying it's correct info. a good long slow cook stew might be the right medicine.after stix pointed it out, that didn't look like a healthy rabbit. still, i reckon stix should be the guinea pig to see if he turns into a were-rabbit ! :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 02 Mar 2018, 2:41 pm

Those smaller dark patches around the muscle area I think are nothing to worry about. All the cows I have had slaughtered and seen have similar not quite bruising marks but similar.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by in2anity » 02 Mar 2018, 2:48 pm

Try bleeding the rabbit as soon as possible after a kill by cutting its jugular and hanging it up - those spots may just be clotted blood in the organs. Older rabbits often have liver scarring which make it harder to tell whether the animal is diseased - this is why it is generallly better to try and eater younger rabbits (with nice healthy organs) - basically less variables. Kidneys take a hammering in dry times also - they should be nice and glossy without any pitting or malformations. Another reason to eat young game.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 02 Mar 2018, 9:16 pm

Yes in2 young is the go...but beyond 100+ish yards under spotlight starts to get hard to pick age...immature faces are just the same shape as old ones out there mate...
As for bleeding, these are bled with 204--& i dare NOT put those pics up again tonight... :lol:
Carried back to the car head down, given a little flicky shake & layed in the back of car with head sloping down--the same as normal & i dont usually get these results...
Personally i get the feeling they may be infected...
The clotting seems excessive and usually dont get those marks all over carcass...
Maybe they're not infected & the mixi infected ones playing on my mind...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles