BRNO Mod 2 accuracy

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: BRNO Mod 2 accuracy

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Dec 2019, 6:25 pm

Nope! Just confirms that you are capable of putting 1 bullet where it needs to be, leave the groups thing to paper pokers I reckon. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Dec 2019, 6:59 pm

Putting a number of holes in a number of 8cm circles near as you can to the centre is shooting a group, albeit, one shot at a time in one circle at a time.
The result is the same, you are checking if you, the gun and the ammo combined, can be relied upon to hit what you are aiming at. The degree of accuracy required is up to the size of the target and your satisfaction.
I am not a paper-puncher, I've put plenty of "one-hole" groups in fur, many, many, thousands actually.
The shooting at the local range is restricted to paper-punching with .22's and is a great way to get my young fella the trigger time he needs. ( We don't have the rabbit numbers here on the property to make a good shooter out of him. ) Learning to shoot in a controlled environment, where he can see the little things that can affect where a shot lands, goes a long way to making him a better shooter.
The competition shooting that I mainly do is metallic silhouette, where shooting is done off-hand, standing up. You get one shot per target, "minute of animal" is really all the accuracy required from your gear, but trigger control is paramount. Without it, you hit the dirt a lot.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Dec 2019, 7:06 pm

Nope not at all, if it was you wouldn't be trying to get the smallest group like paper punchers want to do, all you are really doing using my method is confirming that you and your rifle are capable of hitting the target - nothing more nothing less.

Groups are all about trying to get the smallest size possible with the number of shots taken at the same target.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Dec 2019, 8:08 pm

So, i admit to being average with a rifle. But that was the best group. As mentioned esrlier happy with the trigger. I figure its capable of a little better using a better shooter.

"I removed the one that screws into the barrel below the rear sight on my young blokes rifle, that made a big difference to it." I find that pretty interesting.

Im yet to try screw tension.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Dec 2019, 9:01 pm

Not wanting to be argumentative...but...i personally dont think hitting an orange at 70m is good enough for bunnys...
Personally id be wanting to hit a golf ball with with every shot at 70m...
:)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 05 Dec 2019, 7:31 am

Dont worry Stix I agree with you. The actual brain box (who know how small the brain must be) would only be a small portion just below the ears. the rest of it is just nasal cavity, jaw and throat. Your not allowed to shoot birds with a Rifle but I am told that the feathers around the body are very bullet stopping to 22s, so dont body shot anything the size of a crow. A head shot is a must.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2019, 9:56 am

sungazer wrote:Dont worry Stix I agree with you. The actual brain box (who know how small the brain must be) would only be a small portion just below the ears. the rest of it is just nasal cavity, jaw and throat. Your not allowed to shoot birds with a Rifle but I am told that the feathers around the body are very bullet stopping to 22s, so dont body shot anything the size of a crow. A head shot is a must.

Hydrostatic shock is amazing. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sungazer » 05 Dec 2019, 11:36 am

When I started shooting I was never interested in Punching Paper or going to the range it just didnt interest me. Also things were a lot simpler to go out into the bush perhaps camp a night or two and blast away.

When I joined the rifle club I told them I really didnt want to compete just get a bit more time behind my rifles. Even though I can do it in the backyard it is like exercise and going to the gym. Much more likely to happen if you commit to something.

The amount of help I received from the club was fantastic and I quickly improved a heap and I thought I was a good shooter. Then I go to my first comp and there are a few guys standing behind me I hadn't noticed them then someone from my club tell them I had just joined and it was my first comp. So one of the guys pipes up and said "I wondered why he was one minute shooting a bull and then a 4. Next thing I know he comes over and says hey mate I hope you don't mind but what you are doing is sometimes letting your forward grip touch the barrel keep your fingers off it and your grip consistent.

Since then going to competitions I have been helped by Australia's best shooters and not afraid myself to ask questions they are always happy to help usually to the point of showing you not just a quick answer.

Sorry this is off topic just a little rant to those that may have the same opinions of clubs and competitions as I used to. Go along have a look and a chat you may get a very pleasant surprise. At least I would hope so, not all are the same and just going to a range to do your own thing is nothing like what goes on when you get involved with a club.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2019, 11:49 am

I like to teach the kids how to shoot bunnies using this method. :D mind you I have set up targets for them to shoot at too and I also like using tiny gongs and spinner targets too, all good methods to get them shooting straight.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Dec 2019, 12:22 pm

BFS is just making the point, you dont need tiny groups for hunting. Must admitt, i thought 50mm was more sensible size though.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Dec 2019, 2:02 pm

I just checked the title of the post, yep, it was about accuracy of a model 2 Brno. Hitting point of aim consistently is accuracy, doing that, produces a "group" around that point of aim. It don't matter if it's on a piece of paper, a metal gong / spinner, or the head of a rabbit.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Wapiti » 07 Dec 2019, 11:48 am

I picked up a near new Mod 2 from the late '50s at the local little gunshop, it came off an old bloke who got too old. Apparently. I'm a big 77/22 fan, so I thought I'd succumb to the hype everywhere about these rifles.
Sure enough, it's a nice piece of kit with old world charm. Compared to the newer CZs, the workmanship is from back when things didn't have machining marks and the newer, single bolt handle locking lug is really cheap.

But I have to admit, it's certainly not a target rifle, it's quite ordinary with any hunting ammo I've tried. Probably 10 of the most popular types, including subsonic HP hunting stuff. I'm not going to try target ammo, because I don't shoot targets. 35mm @ 50m would be it., off a benchrest. Now, in the field, that's going to be much larger because most people don't carry benchrests, or bipods, because grass makes them impractical when walkabout.
That screw up under the front sight, tried taking it out, tight, half tight, whatever, it's just not on par with my other 77's, even the cheaper Ruger American stainless we have outshoots it.

Very rewarding to shoot a gun way older than I am (and in better condition too) but I think now, that people tend to overdo some reputations oft repeated.

There was a good article about the Brno Mod 2 in the last edition of Guns Australia mag, outlining the tolerance issues these so called "best" quality rifles have and the trouble old mate went to, to get one to shoot reasonably.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Dec 2019, 11:56 am

Yep, i had a ****** old Winchester, before the brno, shot heaps better. My daughter has a Marlin, again shoots heaps better, straight out of the box.

Most of the hype about mod 2s is BS IMHO. (Well,,, thats been my limited experience)
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Dec 2019, 1:10 pm

I had a Winchester 9422 and it was s**t, shot shotgun patterns, the Brno runs rings around it in the accuracy dept. Best 22 I have for accuracy is the Savage 93 it smokes both of em in the accuracy and trigger dept.

All of them however were more than capable of hitting bunny heads so all go when it comes for hunting purposes. I've only ever removed the brno from the stock once to sand the god awful stain the had on the stock, other than that it's never been stuffed around with other than putting a lighter spring in the trigger (they were heavy from the factory) the spring made it nicer to shoot for hunting purposes, I've shot a couple of 5c piece type groups with the rifle but it's more a 1/2-3/4" in really.

OB I'd just test it out on some bunny heads - I'm sure it will be good enough for that job (they are hunting rifles after all)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Dec 2019, 2:14 pm

bigfellascott wrote:, other than that it's never been stuffed around with other than putting a lighter spring in the trigger (they were heavy from the factory) the spring made it nicer to shoot for hunting purposes, I've shot a couple of 5c piece type groups with the rifle but it's more a 1/2-3/4" in really.

OB I'd just test it out on some bunny heads - I'm sure it will be good enough for that job (they are hunting rifles after all)

Yep, might still look at a lighter spring, but its about 1kg at the moment.
Will tinker with screw tensions too.
Yep, its ok for hunting now. Just bought 2 bricks. They will last till i drop.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 07 Dec 2019, 7:45 pm

I rekon about 1Kg is the right weight. Even in my target rifles when the trigger weight was reduced in the rules, I tried it out lowering it but I didnt like it so went to about 800 grams.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles