What rimfire in Cat C for varmint control

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

What rimfire in Cat C for varmint control

Post by Medic » 05 Feb 2018, 10:04 am

Hey guys been away for a while.
Had a lot on, I had separated, had to sell all my workshop gear, lathes, mills, tools, everything to get back on my feet. It also included selling all but 1 one of my rifles. (22)
No new muzzle breaks or other cool stuff for some time now.
I just bought myself a 7615 which is awesome, and was thinking about getting a 7600 pump too.

Since then though I think my Cat C will be arriving soon in the mail, which brings me to an interesting question... Cat C caliber for varmint contol.
Options are 17HMR, 17WSM and 22MAG. (Alex arms 17hmr, Franklin Armoury 17WSM or CZ512.)
I think honestly the 22Mag might be the go, seems to flatten stuff a lot harder then a 17... but just don't know. 17WSM is also expensive to shoot.

Any thoughts/ideas on this?
Cheers.
Med.
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Update and a question.

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Feb 2018, 10:19 am

Without knowing the what, how and why, I think none of the above calibres are the ideal choice for varmint control.

I look at a .223, far more versatile, cheaper to feed etc, etc.

If you've got a Cat C, why would you bugger around with a pump action?

Just my 2 cents of thought.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 05 Feb 2018, 10:27 am

Out of the options ya listed I'd personally go the .22wmr :thumbsup:
However I agree with RJ that a .223 would be more versatile if that's an option :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Medic » 05 Feb 2018, 10:27 am

I have a lever shotty I can borrow any time. So need for pump. I have a 223, (7615)
I'm thinking CZ 512 or 17WSM honestly. 17HMR is cheap but just doesn't have the punch
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Feb 2018, 10:29 am

Also, I don't think the Calibres you mentioned would meet the Cat. C pest destruction guidelines?? :?:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Medic » 06 Feb 2018, 9:46 pm

Rabbits/hares/foxes/dogs - 22LR/22MAG/17HMR/17WSM = OK
Roos- 17WSM carries enough energy to be considered OK in some regions far as I know.
-223 is generally considered nominal for it. Some places say (Centerfire) however 17WSM carries more energy than some centerfires which are deemed ok so you could argue it (I know a professional that does successfully.) (EG: 22 Hornet)
I guess Im torn between the 22MAG and 17WSM really. CZ512 = $1250. I can buy a 17WSM for 2000 second hand with upgraded bolt and carrier.
Everyone I talk to at the gun shops say 22MAG, but geez, the ballistics on the WSM are just insane.
Using it for mostly rabbits/hares/foxes.
Dunno.
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Feb 2018, 10:27 pm

Medic wrote:Rabbits/hares/foxes/dogs - 22LR/22MAG/17HMR/17WSM = OK
Roos- 17WSM carries enough energy to be considered OK in some regions far as I know.
-223 is generally considered nominal for it. Some places say (Centerfire) however 17WSM carries more energy than some centerfires which are deemed ok so you could argue it (I know a professional that does successfully.) (EG: 22 Hornet)
I guess Im torn between the 22MAG and 17WSM really. CZ512 = $1250. I can buy a 17WSM for 2000 second hand with upgraded bolt and carrier.
Everyone I talk to at the gun shops say 22MAG, but geez, the ballistics on the WSM are just insane.
Using it for mostly rabbits/hares/foxes.
Dunno.

PM Gaznazdiak, he swapped his .17WSM for a .223 so he should be able to give you some insight.
If you have a .223 already then I don't see any great value in having either the WSM or WMR as well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 06 Feb 2018, 10:44 pm

This is from the Australian dept enviroment and energy on destruction of pest Kangaroos.I needed to look it up myself
SCHEDULE 1: Minimum Specifications for Firearms and Ammunition
(Note: Ammunition must be loaded to at least the specifications shown to ensure a sudden and painless death for the target animals)

Species

Prescribed firearm and firearm/ammunition combinations

Group 1

Red kangaroo (Macropus rufus), Eastern grey kangaroo (M. giganteus), Western grey kangaroo (M. fuliginosus), Euro or wallaroo (M. robustus), Agile wallaby (M. agilis), Whiptail wallaby (M. parryi)

A centrefire rifle, fitted with a telescopic sight. Nominal bore size 0.569cm (0.224') and centrefire case capacity of at least .222 Remington.

Ammunition shall have an expanding projectile (soft or hollow point) of not less than 324 mg (50 grains) and provide a minimum muzzle energy of 1542 Joules (1137 foot-pounds).

[.222 Remington with 50 grain projectile must be loaded to achieve a muzzle velocity of 975 m/sec (3200 ft/sec) to achieve this minimum muzzle energy].

Group 2

All members of the family Macropidae other than those listed in Group 1.

a) A centrefire rifle fitted with a telescopic sight. Calibre and ammunition sufficient to achieve at least a minimum muzzle energy of 975 Joules (720 foot-pounds) {e.g. .22 Hornet; 45 grain projectile and loaded to achieve muzzle velocity (m.v.) of at least 2690 ft/sec, or .17 Remington; 25 grain projectile loaded to achieve m.v. of at least 3610 ft/sec].

or

b) Shotguns of 12 gauge or larger, using No.2, 1, BB or larger shot. Maximum range for shotguns of 30 metres.

Shotgun cartridges must be loaded to provide a dense and random pattern (e.g. 12 gauge cartridge requires a shot load no less than 36g = 1.25 oz = 63 BB shot pellets).
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Aussier » 13 Feb 2018, 1:31 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Also, I don't think the Calibres you mentioned would meet the Cat. C pest destruction guidelines?? :?:

I remember Steve Lee saying in one of this videos .308 was required in NSW for Cat C pest control.

QLD will surely have rules to a similar effect, it won't be anything rimfire.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles