Howa Mini or Short Action

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Howa Mini or Short Action

Post by sungazer » 27 Feb 2018, 4:30 pm

I actually did with my Remington 700 308 originally off a Harris bipod and then a club member fitted an Anshutcz Rail to the forarm of my Boyds stock and then I use a home made Bipod again from and made be another club member. I competed in the DRA Pennant and a few OPM. I learn t a lot and as a obvious newbie people were very constructive in comments and helping me improve. The rifle and me would shoot a few super centres then it would be off in the 5s or maybe 4s. The rifle in that configuration was a 5 ring rifle meaning that was its natural deviation. I shot mainly 500 and 600 yrds as that is what most of the ranges are and a couple of longer ranges 8,9,and 1000yrds. It then got fitted with a 28 inch Bartlien barrel and I use it as a crossover rifle. The stock yet to be upgraded to one like I made with the help of Hatchers Stocks for my new project target rifle. Barnard action 30 inch HV Bartlien barrel again of my own stock with the help of Hatchers Stocks. The Tas queens is not out of the question as I could bring the family and pass it off as a holiday. Hope I can catch up and see you there.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 27 Feb 2018, 4:36 pm

Cool. So having been through the whole process you know what i mean by leaving the howa stock and saving for a proper target rifle.

By the time you add all the 'up grades' you are 2/3 the way to a new rifle that is more suited...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 27 Feb 2018, 5:19 pm

Yep and I have suggested that to a few budding target rifle shooters that have been on the forum. However if you really don't have the funds to go all out at once it is possible to enter the sport with a factory rifle. Just be realistic in you goals and don't expect to be competitive you may get lucky on the right day. I set my goal after some ranges and found I was about 10 points below a A grade. I thought that wasn't bad just had to improve 1 ring per shot. What I found was I could shoot quite well in fact when I shot with a couple of the other A graders rifles I out shot them and in one case scored a possible. I found my Remington for some reason would often put two shots in one place and then randomly move POI perhaps put another couple of shots in the new spot so improving was frustrating. I put pillars in bedded the rifle 3 times each time improving, then the barrel change has made for a good gun other than the stock the rear but with the angle rather than a close to flat if not flat parallel to the barrel for bag riding is paramount in a target rifle otherwise elevation is a problem.
I have learn t heaps about reloading and what I thought was good was no way there I am sure I still have room for improvement. Also heaps about ballistics and shooting techniques. I try them all out for myself noting the differences. I dont care if I dont win I am happy to try something and learn the hard way or it may suit me at that time.
There is no way I want to put anyone off and out club doesn't either the same as yours, we go about it a bit different as the new members that are interested are a bit different we tend to have new members that are ok buying second hand target rifles we try and help and vet the rifles for them. Then the saving and upgrades can occur, your just not as far behind the 8 ball. Full on target rifles are expensive esp the glass.

if you accept the fact that the first rifle you buy will / may never be a first class target rifle but with upgrades could be a first class crossover hunter then you have the right mind set.

I say may as I know a Remington 700 action that is in use in a F Open rifle and the shooter is in the top 10-15 in Vic so it can be done. He only has a GRS F class stock of course a new barrel and a Nightforce scope.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 27 Feb 2018, 5:28 pm

sungazer wrote:Yep and I have suggested that to a few budding target rifle shooters that have been on the forum. However if you really don't have the funds to go all out at once it is possible to enter the sport with a factory rifle.

I asked my nearest club and they said I could certainly have a go with my rifles, but if I had no intention of building a "proper" rifle for F-Class I wouldn't be accepted as a member. My only interest in any competition will always be to simply better my shooting skills for the real world, I have no interest in competing just for the sake of competing.

I would definitely be interested in joining in a hunter class if it were available around here.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 27 Feb 2018, 5:32 pm

We find most new shooters are put off by 'not being able to compete' with members with barnard/bartlien set ups and visit a few time or most of a season but don't come back. Hence the hunter/varmint division.

I started with my howa and did a lot of work. Still saving for a new stock but have realised that i would have been better off saving the money and getting a sportco or something.

Anyway. Most people don't enjoy being dead last every week.
My advice would be keep the howa stock and just have some fun trying to beat yourself until you can afford to get an omark, which will cost you the same as all the upgrades to your howa. An omark will see you through until you really get serious.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 27 Feb 2018, 5:59 pm

bladeracer wrote:
sungazer wrote:Yep and I have suggested that to a few budding target rifle shooters that have been on the forum. However if you really don't have the funds to go all out at once it is possible to enter the sport with a factory rifle.

I asked my nearest club and they said I could certainly have a go with my rifles, but if I had no intention of building a "proper" rifle for F-Class I wouldn't be accepted as a member. My only interest in any competition will always be to simply better my shooting skills for the real world, I have no interest in competing just for the sake of competing.

I would definitely be interested in joining in a hunter class if it were available around here.

And this is exactly how many clubs are run and why fullbore shooting is not a growing sport for younger people.
I also joined just to improve at mid long range but then i got the X disease!

I might have to start a bit of a campaign to get the F-class hunter/varmint going at more clubs.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by axio » 27 Feb 2018, 6:12 pm

All good points lads, practically for my use i probably won't be doing any mods to it. There is an F-Class club nearby as well but i'd be looking to jump straight into 308 or 6.5 with all the customisations (and expenses lol) later down the line.

Went into the LGS just before closing to try both out and put a deposit on the Mini Action, now to wait for that PTA!
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 27 Feb 2018, 6:20 pm

Nice one...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 27 Feb 2018, 9:44 pm

I've got one of those mini actions...223...stainless, heavy barrel....1 in 9 twist... my life long shooting partner brought one as well.
Between the 2 of us we have used/owned/collected so so many firearms. They are without a doubt the most accurate firearms either of us have owned.

We shoot 60 gn Hornady projectiles over distances of 100 to 300 metres, and nothing we own goes close in the accuracy. And I'm talking,100 odd firearms here. I'd have to look up the powder type / weight in my records but it's ridiculous just how good they are.

Two things to remember.

The magazine release is to long, catches on things and will drop out. A quick neat file down fixes that.

Short barrels get hot "quick"...thus your point of impact will move...But if your using it for target shooting that's not an issue.

A very good friend of ours has the blued light weight version, in 223...and he is a property owner out west. He shoots every night, has put 1000's of rounds through his....and reckons his one is the greatest things he has ever used. And he runs factory 55gn Federal ammo only...you will not be disappointed....

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 28 Feb 2018, 9:29 am

I've heard the new Howa's will becaming with 1-8 twist barrels. There are currently 1-9.

If you serious about target shooting you'd probably want 1-8 twist?

If I had to pick I'd go the Mini. I have two one in 223 and one in 204. They both shoot very well! I also have a Weatherby (Howa) in 223. I prefer the Mini's. The 204 in MDT chassis is the most accurate gun I own and the 223 mini in Boyds thumb hole stock isn't fair behind in the accuracy department.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 28 Feb 2018, 5:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:
sungazer wrote:...even the 8 twist will probably not let you shoot the 80 grn bullets required in F class competition...

80gn ELDM works fine in my 8"-twist Ruger.

Someone in another thread said that the Howas were currently 1-9 twist and they are correct. Just looked at the notes on my Howa 223 and it is a 1-9.
So 80's may not fly. There are other Howa 223 that have other twist rates that are currently being sold so check if it is not to late.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 28 Feb 2018, 9:50 pm

1:9 twist should get you up to 65 or 70gn bullets. Plenty good enough for 300yds.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles