22LR munitions question

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

22LR munitions question

Post by scoobs » 08 Apr 2018, 9:15 pm

another question, im sorry :lol:

what 22lr rounds to people use for what?
ive seen some people prefer subsonics for bunnies. some prefer standard velocity, some prefer high velocity,

i can see the subs would be good as they would be quieter, but whats the effect on range etc?

or am i better off just buying some of everything because 22 is cheaper than chips?

cheers, :drinks:
scoobs
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: 22LR munitions question

Post by bigrich » 08 Apr 2018, 9:31 pm

me personally mate, i find high velocity rounds not as accurate as standard or sub velocity rounds. trying a heap of different ammo to see what shoots well in YOUR PARTICULAR GUN is a rimfire standard. 22lr ammo is cheap but, which means hours of fun ! try eley sport (green box ) as this has shot consistantly better in all 22lr's i've owned. i get it for $10 a box. quieter rounds are less likely to spook game, especially if spot lighting. hope this helps scoobs, cheers
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 08 Apr 2018, 9:32 pm

Mate there are so many choices out there on the market. Personally, I like the high velocity hollow point for use on bunnies and a bit of plinking. I am certain that some of the standard and subsonic solids would be more accurate but I guess it’s a case of finding what shoots best out of your particular rifle. I think the actual difference in ballistics over a the short distances a .22LR is used in the field is negligible. That’s just my opinion mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Apr 2018, 9:37 pm

scoobs wrote:another question, im sorry :lol:

what 22lr rounds to people use for what?
ive seen some people prefer subsonics for bunnies. some prefer standard velocity, some prefer high velocity,

i can see the subs would be good as they would be quieter, but whats the effect on range etc?

or am i better off just buying some of everything because 22 is cheaper than chips?

cheers, :drinks:
scoobs

I prefer accuracy myself. A sub-1100fps round-nose into the brain is probably even more effective than a Stinger in the guts.

I buy everything I can get my hands on and test it for accuracy. Once I've found what shoots the best I stick with it...but I keep testing anything new that I find.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scoobs » 08 Apr 2018, 10:24 pm

cheers guys.

yeah im gonna buy a few boxes, 4 boxes of 22 is cheaper than 1 box of 308 haha

just a pain that there is so many options, just within the subsonic, standard and high velocity types.
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 09 Apr 2018, 6:56 am

Depending on what you’re trying to achieve scoobs. I’m with BR on this. Would rather head shoot a bunny with a lead 40 gr than go for centre of mass and make a mess with high velocity. Spoils good meat. If you’re just culling go hv for sure kills I guess
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 09 Apr 2018, 8:59 am

bigrich wrote:Depending on what you’re trying to achieve scoobs. I’m with BR on this. Would rather head shoot a bunny with a lead 40 gr than go for centre of mass and make a mess with high velocity. Spoils good meat. If you’re just culling go hv for sure kills I guess

Some rifles are quite accurate with the HV ammo and allow good clean kill shots. Pretty irresponsible for someone to aim for centre of mass.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 09 Apr 2018, 9:13 am

Try and stick to the one trajectory scoobs (for all your 22lr shooting) - for example I use cci-sv (for accurate target shooting) but then switch to cci-sv-hp for bunnies (which has an almost identical flight-path). In saying that, I'm apprehensive about hitting bunnies past 75m (with these subs) - a breath of wind and you'll miss (the brain).
Last edited by in2anity on 09 Apr 2018, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2018, 9:15 am

Scooter wrote:
bigrich wrote:Depending on what you’re trying to achieve scoobs. I’m with BR on this. Would rather head shoot a bunny with a lead 40 gr than go for centre of mass and make a mess with high velocity. Spoils good meat. If you’re just culling go hv for sure kills I guess

Some rifles are quite accurate with the HV ammo and allow good clean kill shots. Pretty irresponsible for someone to aim for centre of mass.

That's true, if I could get SK High Velocity I'd be using it for everything - most accurate ammo I tried in my Rugers.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 09 Apr 2018, 9:26 am

Centre of mass shots with a hv on a rabbit, that rabbit ain’t going anywhere due to the nature of the round. Hv rounds I’ve tried have nowhere near the accuracy of sv and subs, especially at distance. As stated earlier, depends if your culling or after meat
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 09 Apr 2018, 9:52 am

bigrich wrote:Centre of mass shots with a hv on a rabbit, that rabbit ain’t going anywhere due to the nature of the round. Hv rounds I’ve tried have nowhere near the accuracy of sv and subs, especially at distance. As stated earlier, depends if your culling or after meat

Mate I couldn't agree more. Standard and subsonics are more accurate for sure. I had a BRNO Mod2 that used to handle the HV fairly well though. Guess it depends on the rifle.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 09 Apr 2018, 10:55 am

Absolutely scooter, depends on the rifle. My personal ideals with my rifles, skill level is, 50-70 meters 22 sv head shots. Any distance over that, I won’t take the shot. That’s when my 22 hornet, with it’s greater accuracy comes out to play. If high velocity was all I had , and I was culling at distance, I would rather aim for the larger target than risk taking off a ear or the tip of a nose. I should have more specific. Hope this clarifies my ethnics
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 09 Apr 2018, 10:58 am

bigrich wrote:Absolutely scooter, depends on the rifle. My personal ideals with my rifles, skill level is, 50-70 meters 22 sv head shots. Any distance over that, I won’t take the shot. That’s when my 22 hornet, with it’s greater accuracy comes out to play. If high velocity was all I had , and I was culling at distance, I would rather aim for the larger target than risk taking off a ear or the tip of a nose. I should have more specific. Hope this clarifies my ethnics

+1
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2018, 2:11 pm

scoobs wrote:cheers guys.

yeah im gonna buy a few boxes, 4 boxes of 22 is cheaper than 1 box of 308 haha

just a pain that there is so many options, just within the subsonic, standard and high velocity types.

I spent some time researching and made a list of 185 types of current (2016) .22LR ammo, probably more on the market now though. Some of it I don't believe is available here of course (never found any Aquila for example), and much of it is very hard to find. I've tried more than sixty types myself and always on the look out for new stuff. The Eley Standard bulk box is the last new one I tried, shoots okay but not up to Eley Edge or Subsonic.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 09 Apr 2018, 3:37 pm

+1 for eley
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 09 Apr 2018, 6:20 pm

I reckon you are best off finding a commonly available economical load your rifle shoots acceptably well with. My Model 2 is most accurate with SK rifle match, but for Rabbits Winchester Bushman subs are acceptably accurate (and 1/3-1/2 the price) with pretty much the same zero.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 09 Apr 2018, 7:00 pm

bigrich wrote:Absolutely scooter, depends on the rifle. My personal ideals with my rifles, skill level is, 50-70 meters 22 sv head shots. Any distance over that, I won’t take the shot. That’s when my 22 hornet, with it’s greater accuracy comes out to play. If high velocity was all I had , and I was culling at distance, I would rather aim for the larger target than risk taking off a ear or the tip of a nose. I should have more specific. Hope this clarifies my ethnics

My apologies mate, I didn’t mean to question your ethics, and when I read my post again I can see it may have been interpreted as being a little terse. For that mate, I unreservedly apologise.
Gotta love the Hornet too mate. Will be my next purchase for sure.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 09 Apr 2018, 7:01 pm

i am with you wombat my rifle and every 22 I have shot with and other peoples has always performed very well with the SK Rifle Match and it is not an overly expensive round.
I have found in some standard velocity ammo it really doesn't shoot that much faster than subsonics and often it is only just 1000 fps the subsonics on the other hand are often nearly the 1000fps unless you go for the "Quite"
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 09 Apr 2018, 8:17 pm

all good scooter, i don't take anything too seriously on here, i thought i should be a little more precise so i don't get misunderstood but. i have learned much from this forum and 99.9% of folks on here have been great. as a forum everyone has a right to a opinion, and a different point of veiw, so i don't take anything to personally. except for anti's and the greens :evil: as for hornets scooter, in a new rifle have a look at a weihrauch. beutifull well made , tack driving peice of german engineering. with real nice adjustable two stage triggers. same as the "match " triggers on their comp air rifles. i know CZ 527's are a good thing, but they have a 90 degree bolt throw which gets close to the scope and may need high scope mounts depending on the scope. most of the german made guns have a throw of 60 degrees. once i've put more rounds through my 22lr i'll try some SK and might even try some RWS just for kicks . just to see what it can really do :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 10 Apr 2018, 6:57 am

Will do mate. I am a fan of the CZ 527 and have been looking seriously at one of those, however I will check out the other. Thanks for that mate. Appreciate it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Apr 2018, 8:47 am

Yeh scooter, it is hard to go past a 527 with it’s mini Mauser action and set trigger. Know someone who’s got one and it is very accurate. I had a rebarrelled brno 465 Hornet, that had issues. Found the twin set triggers to be too fiddly as well. Just not to my taste. I’ve found most German made guns have good triggers, short bolt throw and are very accurate . Just my two cents mate
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by eddahenry » 10 Apr 2018, 9:40 am

just find the type your 22 likes and stick to that , Federal Hunter match is what i use for target and hunting and shoots ragged hole 5 shot groups in my CZ455
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 10 Apr 2018, 12:19 pm

Federal hunter match eddahenry, haven’t heard of that. I’ll keep a eye out. Cheers
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 10 Apr 2018, 12:52 pm

bigrich wrote:Federal hunter match eddahenry, haven’t heard of that. I’ll keep a eye out. Cheers

That's a new one to me as well.
https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/collections/rimfire-ammo/products/federal-premium-hunter-match-ammunition-22-long-rifle-high-velocity-40-grain-lead-hollow-point-50pk
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 10 Apr 2018, 1:10 pm

My lithgow really likes RWS subsonic.
It's almost become a hobby to test random brands of 22 to see what they can do for target shooting ~50-75m.

The only one I've found that is close to RWS performance is the eley sub. But it stinks!
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 10 Apr 2018, 3:56 pm

found the fed hunter premium , was at the gun shop this arvo buying dies as well ! oh well, good escuse to go back on friday :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 10 Apr 2018, 5:03 pm

I was onto the RWS sub as well still have a brick. i found that past 50m it really hit the skids though and the noise difference between the SK and the RWS sub was only just noticeable but the accuracy was.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigrich » 10 Apr 2018, 8:41 pm

sk has the goods SG ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles