New to Sport, which is best 22lr for beginner

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

New to Sport, which is best 22lr for beginner

Post by Mada » 30 Apr 2018, 4:39 pm

Hi, I’m sure it’s been asked before, however I’m new to this sport and long rifles and need advice.... I’ve been doing heaps of research on 22LR’s and whilst they all have their positives and negatives in reviews, I’m throwing it out there on this forum as to what is the best 22LR rifle for a beginner, and just to make it difficult, it has to be a left handed rifle....
I intend to use it for target, and small gaming hunting...
Any advise is very welcome...
Mada
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: New to Sport, which is best 22lr for beginner

Post by deye243 » 30 Apr 2018, 5:32 pm

the best one you can afford what is your budget ..... the best advice is buy once cry once
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Apr 2018, 5:56 pm

Just get a Lithgow Crossover. Left handed and since the mag feed issue was sorted out ypu don't hear a bad word about them.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by albat » 30 Apr 2018, 6:05 pm

if was was buying a .22lr right now I would get the new tikka tx1, no reviews yet but guaranteed will shoot as all tikkas do
Last edited by albat on 30 Apr 2018, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Joffa » 30 Apr 2018, 6:06 pm

The Lithgow LA101 is a very nice rifle.
They are in high demand though, so you might have a bit of a wait for a left handed model (I’m at 6 weeks and counting) but it’ll be worth the wait!
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by PaddyT » 30 Apr 2018, 6:19 pm

I picked up my left handed LA101 a couple of weeks back, put about 400 rounds through it , lovely to shoot, very accurate, setled on SK match ammo for a target round, still trying a few others for a hunting round, but even with CCI std it shoots very tight groups (0.5 inch ) at 50M, it is a very satisfying rifle to own
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 30 Apr 2018, 6:21 pm

I picked up my left handed LA101 a couple of weeks back, put about 400 rounds through it , lovely to shoot, very accurate, setled on SK match ammo for a target round, still trying a few others for a hunting round, but even with CCI std it shoots very tight groups (0.5 inch ) at 50M, it is a very satisfying rifle to own
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 30 Apr 2018, 6:30 pm

Gday mada
Go to an lgs and shoulder as many different rifles as ya can and don't count out right bolts many brands have ambidextrous stocks so ya can at least shoulder them and get a "feel" for that type of rifle (lop etc)
Then buy the one that feels right that's in ya price range :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 30 Apr 2018, 6:31 pm

A 54 Anschutz :D - if you buy one of those I GUARANTEE you won’t EVER regret it (apart from when you look at your bank account shortly after buying it) :thumbsup: heck if you wanna respeater for the field, then get the 1710HB. They are truly exquisite
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 30 Apr 2018, 6:40 pm

Gwion wrote:Just get a Lithgow Crossover. Left handed and since the mag feed issue was sorted out ypu don't hear a bad word about them.

+1
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by scoobs » 30 Apr 2018, 7:46 pm

Lithgow LA101 FTW. was gonna buy something cheaper, spent the extra, do not regret it one little bit. i love the thing.
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 30 Apr 2018, 7:55 pm

Daddybang wrote:Gday mada
Go to an lgs and shoulder as many different rifles as ya can and don't count out right bolts many brands have ambidextrous stocks so ya can at least shoulder them and get a "feel" for that type of rifle (lop etc)
Then buy the one that feels right that's in ya price range :thumbsup: :drinks:

this is probably the best advice in my opinion mada. different makers make different styles of stocks,i'm a big boof headed bloke and german rifles with "barvarian" hogs back stocks fit me well . everyone on this forum will have their own opinion on brand. left handed does make it harder in choice , but i have read a recent article in "sporting shooter" where a left handed shooter had worked out shooting a right bolt rifle with no issues. not a bad idea to get a customer relationship with your local gun shop anyway. best of luck, don't be shy about asking advice on this forum either. cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 30 Apr 2018, 8:00 pm

If you're left handed, get a left handed gun.
Shooting a righty as a lefty is f$^&&$:^&*::%^&*;^^...........

So many disadvantages in working a right bolt with left hand.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Daddybang » 30 Apr 2018, 8:12 pm

Wasn't saying buy a right bolt just that ya can get a "feel"for the fit of a rifle such as cheek weld weight lop etc. :lol: :drinks:
But three of my rifles are right handed two are levers. :D :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 01 May 2018, 6:22 am

A couple of Savage 22's the kids own, they shoot great and cost around $400 each 2nd hand, both are nice to carry and shoot in the field and shoot well at the range too.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Supaduke » 01 May 2018, 9:56 am

I'm a tightazz, I just want a gun that shoots: Norinco JW-15

I want a decent gun that shoots pretty good but don't want to spend heaps : Ruger American, Savage, Marlin

I want something a bit nicer, I'm prepared to spend a bit more: CZ, BRNO

I want something really good, I'm prepared to pay for it: Lithgow, Weihrauch, Tikka

I want the best ,I'll pay whatever: Anshutz
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 01 May 2018, 11:04 am

Supaduke wrote:I'm a tightazz, I just want a gun that shoots: Norinco JW-15

I want a decent gun that shoots pretty good but don't want to spend heaps : Ruger American, Savage, Marlin

I want something really good, I'm prepared to pay for it: Lithgow, Weihrauch, Tikka

Probably the best response to this question i have seen to date.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Hangfire » 01 May 2018, 3:56 pm

Great response

I have a lithgow aswell great rifle but will probably get a ruger american next as they are excellent value for money and the iron sights is perfect for teaching the basic to new shooters.
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 01 May 2018, 4:01 pm

Hangfire wrote:Great response
I have a lithgow aswell great rifle but will probably get a ruger american next as they are excellent value for money and the iron sights is perfect for teaching the basic to new shooters.

Get a a 24” barrel with a arpeture receiver if you go down this route
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 01 May 2018, 4:17 pm

that pretty well much sums it up price wise in my opinion :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 May 2018, 4:19 pm

geez BFS, those savages shoot pretty good. ya kids do those groups ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 01 May 2018, 5:13 pm

The price of new and used CZs has dropped a lot lately, mainly due to the pending arrival of the Tikka TX1 and competition from other mid-range rimfires, like the Lithgow.

A good CZ will shoot as well as any other rifle mentioned, apart from perhaps the Anschutz.

There are lots of CZ models to choose from with most types of stocks to suit, and trigger kits are cheap and readily available, allowing you to upgrade when you're ready.

CZs usually aren't ammo fussy.

452target.jpg
452target.jpg (83.29 KiB) Viewed 10551 times

These were shot out of a $500 CZ452 at 35m. It wasn't 50m, but you get the idea.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Supaduke » 01 May 2018, 5:27 pm

And before anyone gets their knickers in a knot , I know this list is subjective.

There is also some crossover in price ranges.

There are some special editions etc that would move a rifle up in price bracket.

Some notable rifles I forgot to mention in the mid to higher range price bracket would be.

Browning T-bolt
Ruger 77 series
Sako Quad

Include the second hand market and all sorts of things old and new come into the equation, too many to list.

Then there is Lever Actions
Henry
Browning BL-22
Marlin 39a (good luck finding one)
Chiappa

Asking which is the best in a price bracket always descends into a pointless p1ssing contest.

Work out your budget, decide which one you like the look and feel of, buy it.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 01 May 2018, 5:41 pm

Being the dad of a lefty I ordered a Lithgow 22LR last September in time for the boy's 12th birthday in October and was quoted 4 weeks. It was 4 weeks every 4 weeks till I gave up in March and purchased a Savage, identical to the top one in BFS post but with the bolt on the wrong side. It was substantially cheaper than the Lithgow which allowed me to fit a Bushnell Rimfire 6-18x40 scope on it and still have money left over.

Boy at the range - Savage L/H
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI_I_VT2r1g

Boy at the range - Lithgow 22Mag R/H
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG-ALjRI0_4

What I've observed, he can cycle the R/H bolt faster then the L/H bolt as he doesn't have to release his grip. Ideally, a R/H action in a L/H stock would be awesome for him. He has shot my Tikka T3x Tac A1 which is chambered in the Hipster preferred 6.5mm Creedmoor and handles it very well.
Best advice so far is to hit the local gunshop and see what feels comfortable, most 22's shoot reasonably well and the more expensive varieties come into their own when chasing the utmost in precision, competing or additional features / adjustments.
If your Sydney based and can get to St Mary's I have a few 22's you can try for yourself, drop me a PM to arrange.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 01 May 2018, 5:58 pm

A right hand action is great for a left hasnd shooter when shooting prone or off the bench but get out in the field where working the bolt with your rear hand (master hand) is required and the abilty to work the bolt and maintain sight picture really comes to the fore.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 01 May 2018, 6:10 pm

Gwion wrote:A right hand action is great for a left hasnd shooter when shooting prone or off the bench but get out in the field where working the bolt with your rear hand (master hand) is required and the abilty to work the bolt and maintain sight picture really comes to the fore.

Fair point and ill check how he goes next trip bush. Another option I just thought of is lever action...essentially ambidextrous :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 01 May 2018, 7:46 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Gwion wrote:A right hand action is great for a left hasnd shooter when shooting prone or off the bench but get out in the field where working the bolt with your rear hand (master hand) is required and the abilty to work the bolt and maintain sight picture really comes to the fore.

Fair point and ill check how he goes next trip bush. Another option I just thought of is lever action...essentially ambidextrous :)

Yep I love shooting levers for that reason!!
Funnily enough though I feel far more comfortable shooting a right bolt lefthanded b rather than a left bolt .....maybe because I'm naturally right handed but because I was born blind in my right eye I had to learn to shoot lefthanded :unknown: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 01 May 2018, 8:36 pm

brett1868 wrote:

Yep. Levers are always an option for lefties.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by greybro » 21 Dec 2020, 4:49 pm

Hi @Mada - saw this topic, now a few years later. Quick question - what did you end up with?

And Supaduke - thanks for the sensible advice for a beginner.
greybro
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles