My Ruger precision Rimfire review.

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

My Ruger precision Rimfire review.

Post by Cooper » 06 May 2018, 9:50 am

After watching Ozzies reviews review on this I was getting a little nervous. Still had no idea when I'd actually be getting the Rifle. I was thinking I might be waiting til the middle of the year to find out. My expectations were lowering... I'd be satisfied if it could shot under an inch at 50metres preferably with CCi Srandard velocity. Maybe I could squeeze half an inch out of something it liked?

I am not a Ruger fan (that might change). This is my first first Ruger. I had no idea what the Ruger might like ammo wise. I went through Bladeracers Ruger Target review with ammo test and identified Eley Subsonic HP as one of the best. I already had plently of CCI Standard and Winchester Power points in the different 40 and 42gr versions and subsonics.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (716.49 KiB) Viewed 8832 times

I fitted a Bushnell AR optics 4.5x18 with medium height Weaver style rings and the front of the scope just cleared the foreend.
The trigger was just under 2.5pounds out of the box. I adjusted it closer to 2 pounds. It handles well but does have a bit of weight towards the front. I was thinking it was the Aluminium foreend. But the barrel is quite heavy and 18 inches long.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (716.49 KiB) Viewed 8832 times

The ammo for testing.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (954.91 KiB) Viewed 8832 times
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: My Ruger precision Rimfire review.

Post by Cooper » 06 May 2018, 9:54 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (541.79 KiB) Viewed 8831 times
Some targets at 50 metres. The Eley subs HP and SK rifle match were early standouts. The CCi standard was also pretty good. Most of the Winchester stuff was bad. Like 2 inches at 50. I think T22 stuff measures 3 inches at 50 metres. I have some Eley high velocity HP to try next. Then might do some testing at 100 metres. But I'm happy so far!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (589.23 KiB) Viewed 8831 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (633.49 KiB) Viewed 8831 times
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 06 May 2018, 11:26 am

a very good review cooper
thanks for posting :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 06 May 2018, 12:56 pm

I was going to comment on that first group of SK with the vertical stringing but it looks like you got it worked out in the second group. That ammo works well in every rifle I have seen people use it in. If it starts to go wrong I would look elsewhere for the fix. That Foreend would be contributing to the weight considerably if they where a cheap buy separately I would have a go at cutting a bit out of the top ie basically cutting it in half length wise not all the way and perhaps not completely in half. I would start cutting bits out until I was happy with it and it still had enough strength for a bi pod.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Cooper » 06 May 2018, 1:58 pm

sungazer wrote:I was going to comment on that first group of SK with the vertical stringing but it looks like you got it worked out in the second group. That ammo works well in every rifle I have seen people use it in. If it starts to go wrong I would look elsewhere for the fix. That Foreend would be contributing to the weight considerably if they where a cheap buy separately I would have a go at cutting a bit out of the top ie basically cutting it in half length wise not all the way and perhaps not completely in half. I would start cutting bits out until I was happy with it and it still had enough strength for a bi pod.

Yeah the Sk rifle match is pretty good. I tried it in my CZ452 and it was just as good. I was going to mention my only real negative with the Rifle. It didn't come with Bi-pod mount or swivel stud on the foreend. The Gun shop only had a M-lok to rail mount so I've had to order a M-lok to Bi-pod mount. As a consequence I am currently running with my Harris Bi-pod cable tied to the Foreend. Which is less than ideal. Should have that sorted next week and then no more excuses.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 06 May 2018, 4:32 pm

No Studs or threaded holes is a bit cheap you expect to be able to put a sling or bipod on any and every gun you buy stock.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Cooper » 06 May 2018, 6:31 pm

sungazer wrote:No Studs or threaded holes is a bit cheap you expect to be able to put a sling or bipod on any and every gun you buy stock.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed. But it is pretty much the only real negative I have. I paid $689 for the rifle, $30 for mounts (I went cheap) it wears a $189 scope. I was worried the thing wouldn't ever shoot under an inch at 50 metres with premium ammo.

I was thinking about putting one of my other .22s in a chassis. Do the sums. Provided the Ruger precision Rimfire rifle you buy shoots. I reckon they are good value.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 06 May 2018, 9:37 pm

Cooper wrote:
sungazer wrote:No Studs or threaded holes is a bit cheap you expect to be able to put a sling or bipod on any and every gun you buy stock.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed. But it is pretty much the only real negative I have. I paid $689 for the rifle, $30 for mounts (I went cheap) it wears a $189 scope. I was worried the thing wouldn't ever shoot under an inch at 50 metres with premium ammo.

I was thinking about putting one of my other .22s in a chassis. Do the sums. Provided the Ruger precision Rimfire rifle you buy shoots. I reckon they are good value.

Nice review mate but how did it come early?

I got one on order with O'Reillys so I'm hoping it will be sooner than later!
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 06 May 2018, 9:56 pm

I got mine from O'Reilly's. I did order it on the 10th of Jan. Apparently they only got 4 in. They have at least 30 or so on the wait list at O'Reilly's. Not sure when the next shipment is. Hopefully your not waiting too long.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 06 May 2018, 10:30 pm

Cooper wrote:I got mine from O'Reilly's. I did order it on the 10th of Jan. Apparently they only got 4 in. They have at least 30 or so on the wait list at O'Reilly's. Not sure when the next shipment is. Hopefully your not waiting too long.

Hmm.. I think I ordered mine around mid Feb or just after.. Hopefully I'm on the next one.. I also bought the exact same scope for it too lol.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 07 May 2018, 12:31 pm

Justin9mm wrote:
Cooper wrote:I got mine from O'Reilly's. I did order it on the 10th of Jan. Apparently they only got 4 in. They have at least 30 or so on the wait list at O'Reilly's. Not sure when the next shipment is. Hopefully your not waiting too long.

Hmm.. I think I ordered mine around mid Feb or just after.. Hopefully I'm on the next one.. I also bought the exact same scope for it too lol.

Yeah I like the scopes for the price. It is my fifth one now (one is the 6.5 Creed version). Was happy to get away with using the medium height mounts as I had them in stock. The CCI standard ammo is the best value. The CCI stuff seem to shoot pretty good in just about every I have tried it in. Otherwise the number one is the Eley Subsonic HP followed closely by the SK Rifle Match. I think I'd pick the Eley Subsonic HP as the hollowpoint would probably be a bit better for rabbits. Kind of dual purpose.

I tried a few high velocity rounds the Eley high velocity HP probably been the best. The cheap Highland RX hollow point actually shot under an inch at 50 metres. But didn't feed through the magazine at all well. Not ideal for a hunting round.

Once I get my bipod mount sorted I post some pictures.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 07 May 2018, 1:56 pm

Cooper wrote:
Justin9mm wrote:

Yeah I like the scopes for the price. It is my fifth one now (one is the 6.5 Creed version). Was happy to get away with using the medium height mounts as I had them in stock. The CCI standard ammo is the best value. The CCI stuff seem to shoot pretty good in just about every I have tried it in. Otherwise the number one is the Eley Subsonic HP followed closely by the SK Rifle Match. I think I'd pick the Eley Subsonic HP as the hollowpoint would probably be a bit better for rabbits. Kind of dual purpose.

I tried a few high velocity rounds the Eley high velocity HP probably been the best. The cheap Highland RX hollow point actually shot under an inch at 50 metres. But didn't feed through the magazine at all well. Not ideal for a hunting round.

Once I get my bipod mount sorted I post some pictures.

Good stuff. Cheers mate.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 10 May 2018, 6:47 pm

So I fitted my Magpul M-lok bi pod mount. Was a little bit more painful than I expected. There is brown lock tight stuff on the threads. Pretty much the whole length of the threads. Which made it difficult to get the tabs that go inside in the forend from spinning. Once tightened up all was good. I fitted the Harris Bi pod keen for a quick test.

It was less that 8 degrees outside. Probably closer to 6 degrees and nearly dark. I set the target at my usual 63 metre spot. First 5 shots into I/2 an inch at 63 metres not 50! This was even better as it was afresh packet out of CCI standard I just pull out of a new case (5000). The next 5 shot group went 1 inch. Maybe I spoke too soon.

I settled down a bit and tried to shot a tight group before packing it away for the night. On a new target I shot a .8 group but 4 shots went .4 as their was only one flyer.

Keen to do a bit of 100 metre testing. Hopefully on the weekend.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chinballs » 12 May 2018, 4:10 pm

Justin9mm wrote:
Cooper wrote:
sungazer wrote:I got one on order with O'Reillys so I'm hoping it will be sooner than later!

There's around 1500 on backorder with the importer and no ETA for the next Ruger shipment or how many are actually coming. I would prepare for a long wait.

The price O'Reilly's is charging is pretty good. There isn't much profit in it for them.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 12 May 2018, 6:41 pm

Chinballs wrote:
Justin9mm wrote:
Cooper wrote:
sungazer wrote:I got one on order with O'Reillys so I'm hoping it will be sooner than later!

There's around 1500 on backorder with the importer and no ETA for the next Ruger shipment or how many are actually coming. I would prepare for a long wait.

The price O'Reilly's is charging is pretty good. There isn't much profit in it for them.

Chinballs? Any relation to Chest Nuts?
Bigjobss

Post by bigrich » 12 May 2018, 7:04 pm

Cooper wrote:So I fitted my Magpul M-lok bi pod mount. Was a little bit more painful than I expected. There is brown lock tight stuff on the threads. Pretty much the whole length of the threads. Which made it difficult to get the tabs that go inside in the forend from spinning. Once tightened up all was good. I fitted the Harris Bi pod keen for a quick test.

It was less that 8 degrees outside. Probably closer to 6 degrees and nearly dark. I set the target at my usual 63 metre spot. First 5 shots into I/2 an inch at 63 metres not 50! This was even better as it was afresh packet out of CCI standard I just pull out of a new case (5000). The next 5 shot group went 1 inch. Maybe I spoke too soon.

I settled down a bit and tried to shot a tight group before packing it away for the night. On a new target I shot a .8 group but 4 shots went .4 as their was only one flyer.

hey cooper, just curious, did you find your rifle shot more consistantly from a bench rest or off your bipod ? any feedback would be appreciated. cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 13 May 2018, 1:38 am

Bigjobss wrote:
Chinballs wrote:.

LMAO...
Younger second cousin with a positional preference...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 13 May 2018, 7:59 am

Stix wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:

LMAO...

your a shocker stix :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 13 May 2018, 10:17 am

bigrich wrote:
Cooper wrote:So I fitted my Magpul M-lok bi pod mount. Was a little bit more painful than I expected. There is brown lock tight stuff on the threads. Pretty much the whole length of the threads. Which made it difficult to get the tabs that go inside in the forend from spinning. Once tightened up all was good. I fitted the Harris Bi pod keen for a quick test.

hey cooper, just curious, did you find your rifle shot more consistantly from a bench rest or off your bipod ? any feedback would be appreciated. cheers

I probably really need to post a picture off my testing range... I'll do my best to described it words.

I open the back door to the deck. Look up the hill to the Telecommunications log/stump (where I had to go make a phone call before I had a phone booster in the house.) The foam lid of the Spa serves as my bench and I couch behind it using a bipod and a Caldwell rear bag. Spa to stump is 63 metres. Shooting range in quite uphill and effected by wind a fair bit. I also have to shot through a wire fence for extra challenge. But it is convenient open the back door and I'm there.

For the 50 metre shooting I used the horse sand arena down the front. Laying in Prone position with bi pod cable tied on and Caldwell rear bag. The Horse arena is flat and quite sheltered from the wind. Just need to make sure I don't shot the fence! Although I have already done that. The CCI quiets didn't like the Ruger and ground about 6 or 7 inches.

I'd like a shooting bench. But I've alway done my sighting in and load testing in the Prone position.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 13 May 2018, 11:48 am

Look up the shooting bench thread cooper...
The ones i knocked up using old lokes idea with the work bench from bunnings are amazingly sterdy & cost niks...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 13 May 2018, 4:54 pm

Stix wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:

LMAO...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bigjobss

Post by Cooper » 21 May 2018, 10:56 am

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (762.07 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

Got some more ammo to test. Have high hopes for the Eley Contact and Eley Edge. I really like the ammo box on the Edge. Much better than the standard Eley box. But I quess you are paying for it at $17 per box (I paid $15). Though about the Eley Tenex ammo. But at closer to $30 per 50 box. I thought I'd give it a miss.

The other surprise packet could be the CCI suppressor ammo with a 45gr hollow point at $11 a box I thought it was worth a try!

Was playing on doing the testing today. But the rain doesn't look like it's going to disappear today :(
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 10 Jun 2018, 7:30 pm

Haven't been doing much shooting. Too busy at work and other stuff. But I have bought a standard 10 round magazine BX 1.
As I thought I'd try a different magazine and see if it smoothed out the feeding of some rounds. The BX 1 magazine seemed to fit perfectly and drops out easily when the magazine release is pressed. Seem to feed rounds much better than the standard BX15 magazine.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 20 Jun 2018, 5:49 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (725.84 KiB) Viewed 6649 times

Bought some Eley standard and Club to try. Got home from work just in time before it got dark. Set the target out at 63 metres. Put 5 shots of the standard on the bottom left target. Didn't expect much. Usually takes a few shots to settle down.

The I shot two 5 shot groups of the Club. The first top right target I experienced my first fail to fire with Eley ammunition. I took it out put it back in and it fired. Considering to interruption to the the group. I'm pretty pleased with it. The feathering of The Hornady splatter target probably doesn't do it justice. The small squares on the target are I/2 inch. The holes aren't that clear and considering it at 63 metres. I'll do some more testing at 50 on some plain paper target.

The standard was $73 for 500
The club $12 for 50
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 21 Jun 2018, 12:29 am

Unrelated...but in this thread i just again read the funniest comment i can immediately recall seeing on this forum...
Just cracks me up...!!!

Bigjobss wrote:
Chinballs wrote:

:clap: :lol: :lol:

Nothing against you chinballs... :drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 21 Jun 2018, 12:31 am

Nice shootn' Cooper...
Gotta be happy with that...!! :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Diddums » 31 Jan 2019, 6:06 pm

Any more updates on this rifle.
I've put a deposit on one but starting to get cold feet regarding the accuracy
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Feb 2019, 5:30 am

Diddums wrote:Any more updates on this rifle.
I've put a deposit on one but starting to get cold feet regarding the accuracy

How can you be worried about how it shoots when you haven't even got it yet? :lol: :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 01 Feb 2019, 5:52 am

He read some reviews that said good stuff about it...so he put deposit. Then he read reviews from others that were so so....no idea if they were good shots or bad shooters... so now he's worried
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by wooosaah » 01 Feb 2019, 8:03 am

There's been a while since the initial post testing ammo on these. What do you see as the best or top 3 ammo's now?
I have this rifle too and the LGS told me I should use high velocity in it so mostly been using CCI mini mags, have you tested with those? It's interesting that you were having success with standard and sub.
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles