500 rounds to break in a 22LR?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: 500 rounds to break in a 22LR?

Post by wade06 » 07 Aug 2016, 7:16 pm

Thanks Gwion, that link was great but i have only read half of it so far.

Its a pretty strong argument that not cleaning a 22 can do damage to your barrel.
Secondly, when you clean it it may take 20 shots or so to replace the wax and get the accuracy back up.

Cheers
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Nalla Rehctelf » 07 Aug 2016, 7:40 pm

Does any one have a stainless Marlin XT 22 TSR.
If at 50M what is the accuracy ?
Nalla Rehctelf
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Aug 2016, 7:18 am

Get out hunting mate, don't waste ya time and money at ranges putting up with ****** who know everything - the SSAA is full of those types and every range I've been too has more than it's fair share of em - I'm glad if got rid of my membership :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wade06 » 08 Aug 2016, 8:12 am

Ha ha thanks bigfella. Will probably go to mum and dads farm to sight it in and test a few types of ammo ... Plus they have a heap of Indian mynas that give the native birds and koalas heaps... Might sort a few of them out :lol:
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Aug 2016, 11:16 am

wade06 wrote:Ha ha thanks bigfella. Will probably go to mum and dads farm to sight it in and test a few types of ammo ... Plus they have a heap of Indian mynas that give the native birds and koalas heaps... Might sort a few of them out :lol:

That's the way mate, get out there and sort them bloody myna birds out (destructive little buggers aren't they) f*** wastin ammo on paper, waste it on pests I say :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Aug 2016, 11:31 am

And don't worry about trying to get the tiniest little groups you can, you don't need it for hunting purposes - so long as they around the 1" group that should be good enough for most hunting situations, after all you aren't shooting groups on fur, only one decent shot is all that's needed 99% of the time. :thumbsup:

People get all caught up in getting the tiniest groups for hunting rifles, just ain't needed cos ya can't replicate that sort of shooting situation in the field anyway (ya got not lovely bench to shoot off, or fancy bench rest and sandbags and wind flags and measured consistent distance to shoot at so stop trying to achieve something that really isn't going to help in most hunting situations.

My advice would be find the ammo it shoots the most consistently, get out in the field and set up some small targets the size of say an apple or orange (spuds are nice and cheap to buy or grow your own (something rabbit head sized) and learn to shoot those at all sorts of diff ranges (unmeasured) and when you are consistently nailing them with good regularity be happy with that and get out rollin the fur.

One of my favourite things to shoot when I was younger was empty 22 cases whilst sitting around the campfire type thing, I got pretty good at after a while (20-30m was probably the max range) good fun always had targets too shoot at too, eggs were another fav, we used to put those out around 70m I guess (handy having chooks) :lol: bottle tops was another good one to practice on too (the little Mod 2 wasn't no benchrest rifle but it was good enough to hit those types of things with reasonably good consistency which helps one's confidence when it comes to rollin fur and was a cheap way to get some practice in too. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles