Win 22Lr Power point

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Win 22Lr Power point

Post by PaddyT » 11 May 2018, 9:58 am

Morning all, went down to the range at St Marys yesterday arvo for a plink and to fire off some of the ammo ive decided to not use through the LA101, up until now I havent been happy with the Win Powerpoints 42 grain , best group i could shoot was about 2 inches at 50M which was about double that of CCI minimags, velocitors and the Eley hollowpoints. So anyway im shooting away and all of a sudden ive shot a really nice 10 shot group at about 20mm- Im thinking WT? so I had a closer look and noticed that some rounds were completely hollow at the tips and some had red stuff which i assume is wax inside the tips. I had nearly shot the whole box by this point so couldnt tell how many had the red stuff and how many didnt- anyone else noticed this? Other users of the LA101 seem to be happy with the WIN ammo but up until now i havent been.Ive tried to upload a photo but it hasnt worked - will try again later.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Win 22Lr Power point

Post by Gaznazdiak » 11 May 2018, 10:24 am

I mainly use Powerpoints and have never had a problem or found any problem with consistency. Mind you, I am now only firing them through a 100yo Winchester Model 04, which shoots nice and straight, just not always in the same direction :lol:
My LA101, when I had it, seemed to like them.
Still kicking myself for trading it on a 17WSM. The Bmag was a great rifle and the WSM is a great round. As long as it doesn't encounter any breeze stronger than a bee fart on the way to it's target.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 11 May 2018, 5:09 pm

Yeah its a funny one, had this rifle for about a month and ive put about 1000 rounds through it , it seems to like just about everything BUT the Wins but the last group I shot was really good- the other one that wasnt so good was RWS HP's . Anyway as soon as i figure out how to resize the photo I will post it and you can clearly seee the difference in the rounds out of the same box
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 11 May 2018, 5:42 pm

try imgur for your photo
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 12 May 2018, 7:40 am

Photo
Attachments
Win PPT.png
Win PPT.png (55.65 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 12 May 2018, 8:14 am

Might be wrong here. But my understanding is that sometimes if you are trying different ammo you need to shoot about 20 rounds before you get best accuracy out of a 22lr.

To do with the wax build up in the barrel.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 12 May 2018, 10:05 am

Have you tried the 40gr version of the Power point as well? Had a look at some of my 42s and 40s and didn't notice anything like red wax. But the hollow point holes are not very uniform! Some you can see copper colour and others are just black holes.

Did you originally try the power points when the barrel was new? Maybe they are getting better now the barrel is slightly worn in and maybe a bit dirty?
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 May 2018, 11:17 am

Someone slap me down if I'm wrong, but don't .22s have a waxy lubricant on them?
Perhaps you were the "lucky" one who got some from a production mishap.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 12 May 2018, 1:49 pm

seems like WIN power point can shot very well just after shooting some other ammo such as SK, 5 to 10 shot group really good, but after about 10 to 20 round it spreads, I've tried about 5 rifles but haven't found single one likes it
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 12 May 2018, 3:06 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Someone slap me down if I'm wrong, but don't .22s have a waxy lubricant on them?
Perhaps you were the "lucky" one who got some from a production mishap.

Kind of. I mean yes. But the lubricant varies from different manufacturers. From a dry wax to slippery like oil lubricant like on RWS subs. The Winchester power points are also cooper washed. Maybe the red wax like stuff is lubricant. Maybe it’s got something on their during the production process. Given the power point stuff is assembled in Australia. Might be worth an email to see if the answer can be found
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles