New air rifle

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: New air rifle

Post by Daddybang » 29 May 2018, 3:55 pm

Thanks fellas :thumbsup: :drinks:
I'm heading down to cairns for the PBR on Saturday now I've got a legit reason to visit the gunshop while I'm there!!!! :D :D :D :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 29 May 2018, 5:54 pm

Since when does any bloke need a ''legit'' reason to visit a gun shop????? Visiting gun shops [and Bunnings] is male therapy. Women buy [mostly useless] shoes for therapy.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 29 May 2018, 6:35 pm

NTSOG wrote:Since when does any bloke need a ''legit'' reason to visit a gun shop????? Visiting gun shops [and Bunnings] is male therapy. Women buy [mostly useless] shoes for therapy.

Jim

Normally the missus is dragging me into our lgs but this weekend is supposed to be a "got rid of the girl spawnn for the first time, in christ only knows how long" kinda getaway but she reckons it's OK cause its walking distance from the hotel!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 29 May 2018, 11:00 pm

And they do loosen stock screws !
As far as fitting a scope goes, you will have an adventure, springer air rifles will beat most scopes to death in a short time and mounts are also a big issue.
Cannot see the top of the receiver in your photo but if it is 3/8" grooved rather than drilled and tapped for a rail you are basically buggered.
Springer air rifles will move a scope with considerable force, this due to the heavy piston accelerating then bouncing back off the column of air in the cylinder whilst getting the pellet moving.
Initial rearward movement of the rifle as the piston accelerates is then followed by forward movement as the piston bounces, then abrupt forward movement as the piston comes to rest at the breech end of the cylinder.
Springers quickly kill scopes that would last forever on lightweight hotrod centerfire rifles and mounts just get bulldozed back.
I have a Wheirauch 97 in .22 now, using a USA manufactured B-Square mount with a Hawke 12X air-rifle rated scope, previously the mount was on a Diana [RWS in the USA] mod 52 in .22 with a Bushnell Trophy 4x12-40.
The above Bushnell was / is regarded as the workhorse air-rifle scope, bloody indestructible but heavy and the only mount that would keep it in place was the B-Square.
Last I heard B-Square are now ex China and quality not so good.
I have seen blokes fit three good quality steel rings to a springer and torque up tight and they still crept back.
Another embuggerence is "droop" google Pyramid Air [a good bloke] for an explanation but you will basically have a ****** of elevation dialled into your scope to compensate and a scope adjusted that far off centre will assist in the killing of the scope.
The B-Square mount is "droop compensating" which means I can adjust the rear of the mount up by a considerable amount, I have not had to measure but a wild guess would be 40 MOA.
I rarely try to discourage people but you seem like a nice bloke and in this instance I reckon discouragement is a kindness, would hate to see you bugger an otherwise good scope.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 30 May 2018, 6:15 am

Tiger650 wrote: "Cannot see the top of the receiver in your photo but if it is 3/8" grooved rather than drilled and tapped for a rail you are basically buggered."

Yes, unless he gets a BKL-260 4" Long Unitized Dovetail Mount: http://www.bkltech.com/BKl-1-6-Screw-Un ... kl-260.htm

I have them on a Webley-Scott Patriot [.25], Diana 350 magnum [.177], two HW 90s [.20] and an HW 80 [.177]. [All these rifles are shooting at very high power, especially the Patriot - about 28 ft.pds.] Done up correctly they do not move as they have 6 screws and clamp from both sides.

Several Australian companies are now selling BKL mounts, Gun Emporium in Melbourne being one.

My wife is a Yank and brings such toys home from the USA every time she goes to visit her family.

Tiger650 is right about scopes. Having had one Bushnell Banner disintegrate completely and two Hawkes and another Bushnell develop problems with reticles from the recoil I now use cheaper Artic Foxes and/or BSA scopes rather than waste money on fancier ones. Leapers scopes seem pretty strong though.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 30 May 2018, 6:47 am

Yeah fellas that's why its a might. :lol: :drinks:
Gotta do a bit of research and see if it's viable option without spending a ****** on what is basically a plinker to teach the girlspawn with later on down the track!! :lol: :drinks:
Thanks again for all the advice it really is appreciated :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 21 Jun 2018, 10:26 am

So I think that I got this thing shooting straight!!! :thumbsup:
Seven shots. First two slightly high(ya can see the crimped edge of the can)
Taken offhand(seated) @ 25mt with open sights :drinks:

20180620_162619.jpg
20180620_162619.jpg (809.88 KiB) Viewed 5586 times

20180620_162553.jpg
20180620_162553.jpg (785.98 KiB) Viewed 5586 times
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 21 Jun 2018, 12:42 pm

That's pretty good. I can barely see a can at that range with my old eyes so I stick to shorter ranges with my 10M target rifles and diopter sights. Otherwise it's 4x scopes. You'll be very dangerous to sparrows and starlings before you know it.

Well done,

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 22 Jun 2018, 8:17 am

Thanks NT :thumbsup:
I don't do a lot of open sight shooting so I'm pretty happy with it!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 22 Jun 2018, 10:21 am

Well you cant complain with that...!!
I guess thats why you're braggin... :lol: :sarcasm:

Gees i cant see the end of the barrel let alone the front sight...i need glass regardless...thats a nice little toad toaster you have there then...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 23 Jun 2018, 7:00 am

Stix wrote:Well you cant complain with that...!!
I guess thats why you're braggin... :lol: :sarcasm:

Gees i cant see the end of the barrel let alone the front sight...i need glass regardless...thats a nice little toad toaster you have there then...!

I've only got one eye that works but it seems to work well!!! :lol: :drinks:
Should add it's taken around 400 pellets to get the sights set right and to get used to the rifle!!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 23 Jun 2018, 12:19 pm

'' … it's taken around 400 pellets to get the sights set right and to get used to the rifle!!!"

Only 400! You're boasting - most air rifle shooters spray a lot more pellets than that before they start to get decent groups. Then the damn things change their point of aim overnight and you go straight back to the beginning and start tightening screws, bolts and whatever.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles