Recommendations for nice, classic .22 LR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Recommendations for nice, classic .22 LR

Post by wolfthomas » 27 May 2018, 7:29 pm

Henry Golden Boy. So much fun.
wolfthomas
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 27 May 2018, 7:38 pm

I have brno model 2's and they are very good but a brno model 1 in good nick and original is what I would recommend :thumbsup:
this one is a 1951 brno model 1 but the timber has been refinished

Last edited by marksman on 27 May 2018, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 27 May 2018, 7:44 pm

Again a totally personal taste, I am not a big fan of the fiddle back in wood so much. Like your Brno has the tiger stripes. I prefer the plainer but distinct wood grain pattern though the stock. The fiddle back is apparently more desired by most and more expensive.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 27 May 2018, 8:04 pm

sungazer wrote:Again a totally personal taste, I am not a big fan of the fiddle back in wood so much. Like your Brno has the tiger stripes. I prefer the plainer but distinct wood grain pattern though the stock. The fiddle back is apparently more desired by most and more expensive.

it is a personal taste, some people like synthetic over fiddle back
but not me :thumbsup:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 27 May 2018, 8:14 pm

Wow that is cool. Is that maple fiddleback?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 27 May 2018, 8:22 pm

it does look like curly maple fiddleback in the photo (not a good photo) but the stock is walnut with a red tinge and a bit of black marbling, it is the factory stock
it was my bunny rifle for many years, it shoots stingers very well, it is a safe queen now, till my son is responsible enough to take it
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 27 May 2018, 8:27 pm

Brno 2
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 27 May 2018, 8:35 pm

I wish I still had my 1950s Brno 1, I got it in the late 90s as NOS, amazing condition :cry:
Bigjobss

Post by Supaduke » 27 May 2018, 11:51 pm

bentaz wrote:
Supaduke wrote:I have one, great plinker and looks cool.

I call it " The Chauser"
20180527_170655-1512x370.jpg

Actually I might have lied above. Did you bring that to plinkfest?

Yes I did and you seemed to like it a lot.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 28 May 2018, 12:03 am

Since I have to uphold my name on here,

Brno Model 1, 2, 2E or 5

The Brno Model 2 shown earlier is a 2E, BTW (unless the stock has been changed).

Just to be different - what about a BSA kadet (Martini action) - that should get the people slavering.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 28 May 2018, 7:23 am

BRNO_Bigot wrote:Since I have to uphold my name on here,

Brno Model 1, 2, 2E or 5

The Brno Model 2 shown earlier is a 2E, BTW (unless the stock has been changed).

Just to be different - what about a BSA kadet (Martini action) - that should get the people slavering.

No she's an all Original 2E mate.- Originally it has a dark brown stain on the stock, I decided to remove it and oil the stock and was surprised when I saw what was under it, much prefer it to the crap brown stain that was on it. I think the wood is Beech.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 28 May 2018, 7:59 am

I had a really nice CZ 452 2E SuperMatch. Factory bedding, adjustable trigger, 12 groove barrel. Bought a 1960 vintage Krico 300 for $350 that shot smaller groups. As nice a rifle as the Cz was I traded it in on a weihrauch hw 66 that’s outstanding quality , accuracy and value for the money
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 28 May 2018, 9:44 am

Stix wrote:
sungazer wrote:Looks like as many opinions as assholes type of question. Everybody has different tastes. lucky or we would all be fighting over the same girl.

:lol: :lol:

Im surprised the brno model 1 or a sportco hasnt been mentioned.

Personally i think any one of these fits your brief just nicely...

Sportco mod 63
Lithgow model 12
Brno mod 1 or 2.

Imagine how many pallets of lead were released from these 4 beauties...!!!

Beat me to the Sportco option. They made a number af veey nice models that shoot well.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Biggus63 » 28 May 2018, 11:54 am

If you can find one a Winchester Model 320 is a pretty nice rifle. They were based on Sportco actions and made in the '70s. First rifle I ever bought back in about 1976.
Biggus63
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 28 May 2018, 2:26 pm

Biggus63 wrote:If you can find one a Winchester Model 320 is a pretty nice rifle. They were based on Sportco actions and made in the '70s. First rifle I ever bought back in about 1976.

I thought it was the other way around...the Sportco's were based on the Wini's...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Biggus63 » 28 May 2018, 3:53 pm

Stix wrote:
Biggus63 wrote:If you can find one a Winchester Model 320 is a pretty nice rifle. They were based on Sportco actions and made in the '70s. First rifle I ever bought back in about 1976.

I thought it was the other way around...the Sportco's were based on the Wini's...?

Nah, Winchester took something like 25,000 Sportco actions and put their own barrels and stocks on them, that's the story I've heard over the years. Anyway, quite a nice rifle roughly comparable to something like a CZ 452 today. Was about 13 when I got it and I thought it was wonderful.

Edit:- Info at this site:- https://warnescopemounts.com/our-story/

Apparently based on the Sportco Model 62.

From the story linked:- "At Sporting Arms he designed a complete line of firearms which captured 30% of the total Australian market at that time. He designed an excellent bolt action .22 rifle sold as the Sportco Model 62. It was very successful in Australia. He later licensed the design to Winchester who sold it as their model 320. Sporting Arms made 25,000 of these for Winchester in the 60’s."

The actual dates are 1971-74 I think for the Winchester Model 320. I got mine new in '76 or '75 for $115 new with a fixed 4X scope and a gun bag. Might have been for Christmas '75 now that I think about it.
Biggus63
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Wombat » 28 May 2018, 6:49 pm

More info here on the Sportco - Winchester action - http://www.sportco.org.au/history.htm For some reason I had thought they were making 25000 per annum rather than total.

A Nice rare Vintage .22 would be a Fieldman in a thumbhole stock.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 May 2018, 6:52 pm

Wombat wrote:More info here on the Sportco - Winchester action - http://www.sportco.org.au/history.htm For some reason I had thought they were making 25000 per annum rather than total.

How does he go if he needs parts for it?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wombat » 28 May 2018, 6:58 pm

Looking :violin:

Practicality wasn't one of his criteria :D
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by fenderstrat » 28 May 2018, 7:07 pm

Thanks a lot for all your suggestion guys! So far the Brno mod 2 and the Sportco 63 are looking good. Will post pics once I get something,
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 28 May 2018, 7:12 pm

You can pick up new magazines for the Brno in 5 or 10 rounds metal or plastic OEM CZ or various aftermarket ones just about any Gunshop. As you are in QLD there are larger capacity magazines too. The Sportco magazine would be harder to find.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 28 May 2018, 7:17 pm

fenderstrat wrote:Thanks a lot for all your suggestion guys! So far the Brno mod 2 and the Sportco 63 are looking good. Will post pics once I get something,

If your looking out for brno's i wouldnt discount the model 1 mate...they are a very nice rifle...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 28 May 2018, 10:51 pm

bentaz wrote:
BRNO_Bigot wrote:

Awesome idea, but it will need an extra 2 and an r added to the cartridge name. :thumbsup:

Nope, you're thinking of some thing else - we used to use them at school

Here's a youtube thingy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvK5onzTL6k
Last edited by BRNO_Bigot on 29 May 2018, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Wombat » 29 May 2018, 8:06 am

Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 29 May 2018, 8:10 am

And one in QLD - https://www.buyusedguns.com.au/22-brno- ... -9528.html another- https://www.buyusedguns.com.au/1957-brn ... 10277.html
I'd be looking at that 1957 one, nice looking timber.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 29 May 2018, 8:31 am

Stix wrote:

Lithgows were based on Winchester’s, but sportco was the basis for that one Winchester model.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 29 May 2018, 8:33 am

Wombat wrote:More info here on the Sportco - Winchester action - http://www.sportco.org.au/history.htm For some reason I had thought they were making 25000 per annum rather than total.

I left the fieldman of my list because yes they are historic and Australian but basically they are crap. I have two and won’t buy another.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 29 May 2018, 9:38 am

Wombat wrote:You can pick up new magazines for the Brno in 5 or 10 rounds metal or plastic OEM CZ or various aftermarket ones just about any Gunshop. As you are in QLD there are larger capacity magazines too. The Sportco magazine would be harder to find.

There are re-pro Sportco mags available. Can't remember where but i did find them online at one stage but then decided i didn't need an extra mag...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 29 May 2018, 10:53 am

bentaz wrote:Found a good deal on a Brno for you https://www.buyusedguns.com.au/jw15--9244.html
:drinks:

The ol chinese brno hey :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by NTSOG » 29 May 2018, 12:50 pm

G'day,

Then there is this Model 5 in SA for a bit of BRNO variation from ''boring'' Model ones and twos:

https://www.adelaidegunshop.com.au/seco ... p-no-av032

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles