After-market trigger for 1987 CZ Model 2 in .22LR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

After-market trigger for 1987 CZ Model 2 in .22LR

Post by NTSOG » 27 May 2018, 11:08 am

G'day,

I am new to rimfire and centre-fire shooting coming from bow-hunting and air rifles. I have just bought a pristine CZ Model 2 [1987] which clearly has sat in its safe for years and rarely been used. It is already very accurate, but the trigger, after being used to the triggers on my various 10M target air-rifles and even some of my heavier springer air rifles, e.g. Theoben HW 90s, is a bit heavy. I know that Lowey's make a spring kit and Basix make a drop in trigger for the CZ 452, but is there a replacement trigger specifically for the older Model 2?

Any help would be appreciated,

Jim
via Ballarat
Victoria
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: After-market trigger for 1987 CZ Model 2 in .22LR

Post by Daddybang » 28 May 2018, 8:50 am

Gday NTSOG :welcome: :drinks:
Mate does the model 2 have an adjustable trigger?
If so ya maybe able to get what ya want without spending dollars. :thumbsup:
Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members can chime in. ..yep I'm thinking of you Brnobigot!!!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 28 May 2018, 9:04 am

G'day Daddybang,

I have not had the action out of the stock and am looking for an exploded diagram of the type before I go fiddling lest I 'improve' it so it shoots less accurately. From general reading I believe some adjustment is possible with this model without adding new 'bits', but I need to know more from those who have experience with this model.

Thank you for your interest - I gathered there are some very serious Brno/CZ enthusiasts on this site.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 28 May 2018, 9:25 am

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

I am new to rimfire and centre-fire shooting coming from bow-hunting and air rifles. I have just bought a pristine CZ Model 2 [1987] which clearly has sat in its safe for years and rarely been used. It is already very accurate, but the trigger, after being used to the triggers on my various 10M target air-rifles and even some of my heavier springer air rifles, e.g. Theoben HW 90s, is a bit heavy. I know that Lowey's make a spring kit and Basix make a drop in trigger for the CZ 452, but is there a replacement trigger specifically for the older Model 2?

Any help would be appreciated,

Jim
via Ballarat
Victoria

Try the Lowey trigger spring kit first, I'm sure you will find it makes a big difference, it certainly did to mine and saved me a lot of $$$. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by NTSOG » 28 May 2018, 11:15 am

The Lowey kit is far cheaper than the full trigger kits and I'm not interested in target shooting per se, but just practising shooting so I can shoot my .222s better. OK the Lowey kit it is.

Many thanks for your advice,

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 28 May 2018, 10:59 pm

You can turn a nut up and down on the trigger strut to control pull weight (slightly), but you can't do anything for creep.

The Lowey kits contain replacement springs for pull weight as well as little shime (if circular tubular gadgets are called shims) and they will help control creep.

Just make sure the trigger is still safe after adjusting. You don't want an unsafe trigger - but you knew that.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by NTSOG » 29 May 2018, 6:13 am

"Just make sure the trigger is still safe after adjusting. You don't want an unsafe trigger - but you knew that." Damn right!

I've never liked super light triggers except on my 10M target air rifles which are shot very deliberately in controlled situations. My 1532 Anschutz [.222] has double triggers, but when ''set'' the front trigger is so light as to have no feel so my groups using the set trigger at 100 yards are not as good as shooting conventionally with normal trigger weight. I don't seem to be able to relax when shooting using the set trigger as I don't know when it will release. My shooting ''rhythm'' is disrupted.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 29 May 2018, 6:33 am

I won't use the set trigger on the 527 unless I'm sitting down checking the zero. .too much chance of stumbling ovr tree roots or little ant mounds etc to take the risk of an ad occurring!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 29 May 2018, 7:11 am

I was sitting at my shooting bench aiming off a steady rest and I still could not control my touch on the set trigger finely enough to release shots smoothly. To be fair to Anschutz and this 1532 I have had 10 operations on my elderly hands and my manual dexterity is deteriorating. Add a bit of arthritis and I will not try the set trigger again. In fact - and my wife likes this - I insist on washing the dishes each morning as the activity of handling the items being washed and the warm water gets my hands and fingers operating more freely!

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles