What ammo works in your CZ 452?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

What ammo works in your CZ 452?

Post by MJW380 » 30 May 2018, 12:12 pm

Hi all, had the first rifle I’ve brought, a CZ 452 22 LR for a bit over 3 years now and it’s never shot particularly well with any ammo I’ve tried, Winchester, federal, any type of CCI I could get my hands on, anyways I was seriously considering moving it along, especially after the CCI standard did no better than anything else after reading how this is the go to round for a lot of CZ owners. Weekend just past I thought I’d give it one more try, had a scrounge thru my ammo boxes and found a forgotten pack of SK rifle match, packed it in, tried the usual susyto no avail, then loaded up the SK, first 5 shots were the best group it’s put out, second was better, and by the third it was one jagged hole at 50 yards. All of a suddden I’m in love with the rifle, I’d be interested to hear from other 452 owners what works for them, Mark.
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: What ammo works in your CZ 452?

Post by juststarting » 30 May 2018, 12:36 pm

Maybe it's just you lol
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 30 May 2018, 1:02 pm

My CZ452 likes CCI standard. I have tried Sk rifle match in it. It was pretty good. But I bought the CCi in bulk and it works out a less than $5 a pack of 50 where as the SK rifle match is $12 per 50.

My CZ 452 is my hunting 22. So I mainly use the cheap Winchester 555 stuff which shoots pretty good.

I also have a cz455 (has a 17hmr barrel in at the moment) but when I tested the 22 barrel it preferred whichester 40gr subsonics. I haven't tried the SK rifke match in it yet. But I will.

Every 22 seems to be a bit different. But CCI standard is probably one of the first I'd try for generally plinking and target shooting. As it seems to be pretty good in everything I've tried. The stand out for my Ruger Rimfire precision so far has been Eley Subsonic HP. Just need to try everything and see what works and hope it likes something fairly cheap and readily available.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MJW380 » 30 May 2018, 1:29 pm

Hey juststarting, mate I was beginning to think that two!!! Then the SK did the trick, but like you said Cooper, it’s double the cost....
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 30 May 2018, 1:41 pm

MJW380 wrote:Hey juststarting, mate I was beginning to think that two!!! Then the SK did the trick, but like you said Cooper, it’s double the cost....

:drinks:
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by knowsnothin » 30 May 2018, 2:06 pm

winchester powerpoints 40g.
will go into a 20 cent coin all day long. thousands of rounds. 1 failure to eject. thats it.

SK match (red stuff) for the range

fixing the rubbish trigger makes a huge difference.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 30 May 2018, 2:33 pm

Im no expert but how many rounds have you put through it...(im assuming it was new when you got it...?)?

I broke one in last year...it was very inconsistant at first, then shot like shyte, then the POI started shifting around.
It was so bad i would sight it in bang on at 50, then miss bunnies <20yds, & i mean entirely miss. :crazy:
I too thought it was me or the scope & was about to send it back to winchester...but after a good 500-700 rounds it settled down.

It mostly gets fed wini sub hp's on bunnies, but will shoot half inch @100m with RWS sub hp's in no wind.. :thumbsup:

If you've not put a brick through it, id suggest buy a cheap brick or 2 of ammo & have a plink fest weekend or 2...giving it a half decent clean here n there... : :)

Im not experienced enough to suggest a barrel polish with an abraisive as was suggested to me.

Im keen to hear how you go so keep updated on here... :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Flyer » 30 May 2018, 2:51 pm

knowsnothin wrote:winchester powerpoints 40g.
will go into a 20 cent coin all day long. thousands of rounds. 1 failure to eject. thats it.

SK match (red stuff) for the range

fixing the rubbish trigger makes a huge difference.

Agree with all the above. My old 452 liked just about anything, but Winnie 40-gr Power Points were my go-to ammo for a long time until I started using match ammo. Elley Club was good, but SK Match worked best.

It's probably worth mentioning that different 22 ammo has different coatings (wax, paraffin, oil etc) and that you won't get best accuracy out of your rifle until you have shot up to a pack or more of new ammo through it. Sometimes you can speed things up by cleaning your barrel between new batches of ammo to remove the old residue.

As you shoot the new ammo, you'll see your groups tighten up as they coat the inside of the barrel. I don't usually assess new ammo until I've fired at least a 50-round box of it in one sitting.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by MJW380 » 30 May 2018, 3:07 pm

Hey, she’s probably had 1000-1200 rounds thru it, I’ll give some of the ones suggested a try. A trigger job is definitely on the cards, got a fair bit of creep in it.
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 May 2018, 3:10 pm

I am a noob. But I find the best is eley standard and eley high velocity
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 30 May 2018, 6:09 pm

Mine loved cci standard but Eley club really set it alight. Will stick with cci standard
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 May 2018, 6:10 pm

try winchester 40 gr lead hp subsonics. in a couple of my rifles i found the eley sport (green box ) shot better than the club :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 30 May 2018, 6:47 pm

Mines loves RWS high velocity HP, ragged groups all day, especially after I had the creep smithed out of the trigger. Great hunting ammo too so I am pretty happy with that.

CCI standard was alright but the HP was horrible, worse than federal champion which isnt that bad considering the value, my go to plinking ammo.
Bigjobss

Post by axio » 01 Jun 2018, 6:45 pm

Ive tried quite a few in my 452, in the end CCI standard was the most consistent
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Barrettmr » 03 Jun 2018, 8:02 am

Mine will do cci standard 5 shots under a 5c at 50m and under a 10 at 75m if I do my part. I did lighten the trigger, and I had to open out one side of the barrel channel, and I ended up putting a single sheet of copy paper under the action. Those three things took it from average to outstanding. It would probably be better if bedded properly, but as it's really only a practice rifle, does what I need it to do.
Cz 452 22 Redfield 2-7 x 32
Howa 1500 blue varmint 223 thumbhole vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue sporter 22/250 vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue ultralite 308 vx1 3-9x40
Howa Mini Action 7.62 x 39 Hawke 2-7
Barrettmr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 04 Jun 2018, 5:59 pm

The question of “what shoots best in your 22?” comes up time after time after time, ad nauseum, on probably every shooting related forum world-wide. There is ONE answer, which should perhaps be copied/pasted every time that question is asked, on any forum.

If we deviate our train of thought for a while, it will be realised that for those of us who also shoot centrefire, we work up a load that works in MY rifle. The variables will be: - projectile, powder type, powder charge weight, primer, seating depth/distance to lands, case make, case preparation procedures, to name but a few. We will finally arrive at a “recipe” that works well in MY rifle. That same combination could shoot like sh-t in my buddy’s rifle; it could even be dangerous.

Extending this philosophy to rimfire poses a problem. The only thing we can do is purchase manufactured / unalterable ammo’. Where does that leave us? Go and buy a box of ammo and try it. If you’re happy, buy a brick or two and continue with your happiness. But, if you are ultimately looking for the most accuracy that YOUR rifle can deliver there is only ONE WAY to find out. Find a friendly dealer who is willing to sell you a brick of every type of ammo that is available to him, with this caveat; if you find a “recipe” that works in YOUR rifle, he must be able to supply you with maybe 5 – 10,000 rounds FROM THE SAME BATCH. You then buy them – all that you can afford. Which presents you with another possible fly in the ointment. The stuff that really turns you on might cost $15 a box, so you might have to settle for second or third best. But, you might strike it lucky and find SK/Lapua 500 Magazine does the job. But you have to test, test, test.

That’s the approach I had to take to find something the way I wanted it to work at extended ranges. I probably ended up with about 3,000 rounds that will eventually be used for plinking, but amongst it all was a winner. I bought a few cases.

It all comes down to how precise you want YOUR rifle to be and how much effort you will put into finding that goal.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 04 Jun 2018, 11:31 pm

In general SK seems to work really well.

I like SK Magazine for a cheap ammo - it's the rounds in the Pringles can. Fairly cheap, too.

In general, mine like CCI Std as well.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by ausbushman » 05 Jun 2018, 7:13 am

Aussie made Winchester Powerpoints 40 gr, and the subsonic with slight drop, both clover leaf off the bench with my 2 brno mod 2's, excellent accuracy for hunting
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Homer » 07 Jun 2018, 6:34 pm

G'Day Fella's,

MJW380, here are a couple of groups I shot with my CZ 452, with SK Magaizine ammo.
CZ 452-2E .22LR.JPG
CZ 452-2E .22LR.JPG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 5783 times

DSCN1175.JPG
DSCN1175.JPG (1011.71 KiB) Viewed 5782 times

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MJW380 » 08 Jun 2018, 9:54 pm

Hey Homer, is that an Atlasworx trigger guard? What’s it like?
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Homer » 09 Jun 2018, 6:36 pm

I can't remember MJW380 but iirc it was made by a bloke in Queensland.

D'oh!
Hometr
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Post by deanp100 » 09 Jun 2018, 7:36 pm

Wasn’t happy with my trigger so I changed up a spring strength I tightened up the action screws so they all lined up and now my groups have doubled. Time to look at bedding and barrel floating.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 09 Jun 2018, 9:57 pm

Hmm I have' a 2nd hand cz...I always wonder if it's factory standard or modified.. maybe I need to chuck up a picture
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles