New Ruger American Rimfire compact in 22WMR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

New Ruger American Rimfire compact in 22WMR

Post by Diddums » 30 May 2018, 4:06 pm

Just picked up my new Ruger American Rimfire compact in 22WMR today, hopefully going to get a chance fire a few shots this afternoon.
I opted for iron sights but i may end up putting a scope on it down the track.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Another new toy

Post by marksman » 30 May 2018, 4:46 pm

you have to much money :sarcasm:

good for you :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by winton » 30 May 2018, 5:12 pm

We need an accuracy report on this. :)
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 30 May 2018, 10:56 pm

Looking forward to hearing how it performed and what ammo it liked.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Diddums » 31 May 2018, 11:37 am

I've put one box of Hornady 30g V-max though it and half a box of rat shot and I've only had one failure to extract and a couple of feed issue that I hope will sort themselves out as it wears in.

Just using iron sights at the moment and I can hit larger objects but small stuff is an effort, but that's more related to myself than the rifle.

A friend has an old 3-9x40 scope that I'm going to put on it and see how it goes then.

But overall it's a cool little gun.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 15 Jun 2018, 4:44 pm

just picked this up this arvo, CVA scout in 45-70. gunna try a few rounds at ripley tomorrow morning hopefully. gunna give federal 300ge hollow points a try. it's heavier than it looks, 8 pound without a scope and mounts, so recoil should be ok :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_0089[1].JPG
the new toy.
IMG_0089[1].JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 6111 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Jun 2018, 4:53 pm

bigrich wrote:just picked this up this arvo, CVA scout in 45-70. gunna try a few rounds at ripley tomorrow morning hopefully. gunna give federal 300ge hollow points a try. it's heavier than it looks, 8 pound without a scope and mounts, so recoil should be ok :thumbsup:

Looking forward to reading a review bigrich.
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 15 Jun 2018, 5:02 pm

coming right up mate :thumbsup: gunna crack a beer and bore sight it while i still got a bit of light :thumbsup: :drinks: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 15 Jun 2018, 6:03 pm

Diddums wrote:I've put one box of Hornady 30g V-max though it and half a box of rat shot

Just be aware putting rat shot thru on a regular basis will F@#K the barrel real quick!!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Jun 2018, 6:33 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:
bigrich wrote:just picked this up this arvo, CVA scout in 45-70. gunna try a few rounds at ripley tomorrow morning hopefully. gunna give federal 300ge hollow points a try. it's heavier than it looks, 8 pound without a scope and mounts, so recoil should be ok :thumbsup:

Looking forward to reading a review bigrich.

well here's the review on my CVA scout 45-70 new toy. recoil was slightly more than my 12g shooting clay loads, the scout has a good recoil pad on it but. the weight of it is listed as 8 pound without scope and mounts, length of pull 14" , 22" barrel. the trigger,as i've read in other reviews, is adjustable, has no creep and crisp on let off. i fitted up a "cheap" leupold vx freedom 1.5-4x20 with a duplex recticle. vision qaulity for a $325 scope was quite good (supposed to be vx2 glass, i believe it, i own vx-2's and 3's to make the comparison ) only went through 12 rounds of federal 300 gr hp's to get it sighted in for 100 yards. These are around $700. i'm impressed with these rifles. i bought mine second hand from pine rivers gunshop for $500 with the factory "non-slip" one piece scope mounts. the following group at 100 speaks for itself. and no, that's not a fly on the right of the target, i was checking point of aim of my 22 hornet :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_0091[1].JPG
45-70 at 100. are marlin's this accurate ?
IMG_0091[1].JPG (1.6 MiB) Viewed 6035 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Jun 2018, 9:01 pm

off to the range again tomorrow arvo, gunna try to get some 325gr hornady LE to try
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2018, 9:14 pm

Mate...seriously :shock: , you need to learn the truth about these hornets :unknown: ...& given the look of what your hornet does, its no good i tell ya...!! :cry:

Send it on down mate, you know ill help you out... :friends: :thumbsup: ...a good a queenslander like yourself doesnt need that kinda crap in your life...!! :clap:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2018, 9:18 pm

Good review & nice looking gun mate...
& an especially good gtoup for 100m we ith a 4X scope... :thumbsup:

Bring it with you next time you're down this way & we'll go get a fox...& a bunny...& a carton of the green labelled ale...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 16 Jun 2018, 9:35 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good on ya stix. have a scotch for me mate. i used to be partial to glenfiddich and jameson's special reserve 12 yr irish whiskey :crazy: . the ole 45-70 would make a good wabbit vaporizer with groups like that ay ? got it 'cause of some big pigs in high timber country in tenterfield. going back down in a couple of weeks. it's 1600 feet above sea level where i go apparently. telling my hunting buddy with the likelyhood of snow we will be hunting "pigcicles" :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jun 2018, 9:08 am

Damn it man, I just lodged a PTA for a .308. Now I am going to have to persuade the Minister for War & Finance there's room in the budget for one of these.
Nice review bigrich and a nice group - what is that, about an inch and a half? How is the general fit and finish? As it is a shotgun-like break action, any signs it might get rattly with extended use / heavier loads?
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 17 Jun 2018, 3:20 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:Damn it man, I just lodged a PTA for a .308. Now I am going to have to persuade the Minister for War & Finance there's room in the budget for one of these.
Nice review bigrich and a nice group - what is that, about an inch and a half? How is the general fit and finish? As it is a shotgun-like break action, any signs it might get rattly with extended use / heavier loads?

fit and finish seem quite good, plastic fore stock has a little wiggle in it, but the build qaulity is better than some turkish shotguns i've seen, and a lot better than zastava mini mausers i've looked at. and it breaks down just like a shotty. do a google search on chuck hawks reveiw of "CVA 45-70 APEX " same gun , just a earlier model. didn't get a chance to try hornady 325gr LE's this arvo, had to help a mate do some work on his truck. the federal 300gr hp's in that group have a advertised FPS of 1880, and muzzle energy around 2354 ft lbs. the hornady 325's figures are 2050 FPS, and 3032 ft lbs ! woohoo ! and usefull range is increased to around 200 yards from around 150 yards .handloading could prove interesting, the action strength is suppossed to be on par with marlin 1895 lever guns. i'm really glad i could be a bad influence on you to buy another gun. isn't that what this forums for ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_0094[1].JPG
cant wait to see what i can get with more practice
IMG_0094[1].JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 5974 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 13 Aug 2018, 3:54 pm

yeh well, was surfing oz gun sales and found something i just had to have. a new/old 70 xtr winchester in 222 rem . 1975 vintage, i love the build qaulity on older firearms. after giving it a good clean when i got it, it turned out to be in much better condition than i anticipated . it came with a old weaver fixed 6 power scope, which i fitted onto my m38 swede to make a ww2 style sniper mock up. i took the 222 out to the range and with federal factory 50 gr ammo , it shot some groups under a inch. not bad, so i pulled it out of the stock to get the trigger adjustment lighter, and did up a batch of reloads with 40 gr vmax projectiles. was pretty chuffed with the results, and cant wait to do some reloads with 50 gr ballistic tips. can anyone recommend a good powder ? was going to use ar2207 or bench mark 2 . ar2205 worked good for the 40 gr. :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup: dunno why my iphone turns the photo's around :unknown:
Attachments
IMG_0124[1].JPG
222 winchester.
IMG_0124[1].JPG (777.35 KiB) Viewed 5827 times
IMG_0125[1].JPG
ar2205 with 40 vmax @100 . 222 rem
IMG_0125[1].JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 5827 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 13 Aug 2018, 6:18 pm

That'll be enough outa you bigrich... (posting bludy rubbish like that)

Throw it in the bin with the hornet ya bum..!
Then go home...!

:sarcasm: :D :drinks:

2206 was the powder i used to get results with in the ol' .222, but cant get it any more.

For the heavier bullets (over 40gr) you could try slower powders like 2206h...
Mine actually doesnt like 2206h, but does like BM2-so try that one as well/or.
-& i love loading with BM2...silk through the cheap thrower i have & nice n accurate to trickle.

I tried 2207 with 50gr once & got results below ADI min but nothing within the ADI spectrum.
Mine eats BM2.

And the pics come out like that because you are leaning too much to one side with your tongue out sideways...

(Targets like this is worthy of its own thread bigrich :thumbsup: )
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 13 Aug 2018, 6:56 pm

thanks for the info and compliments stix. the old girl is a real good shooter. it's not even bedded mate ! was thinking about 24gr of bm 2 with nosler 50gr bt's. ADI powder is hit and miss for me. seems to work well with the 40's but . the old weaver scope that came with it is a cracking bit of gear. looks and works great on my old swede mauser :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 13 Aug 2018, 8:59 pm

Shoot a ladder at 2 or 300 to find the load with BM2...(?)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 14 Aug 2018, 4:35 am

Will do Stix. I’m finding 222 to be one of the most accurate and easy to load for calibers. I reckon it’ll have a resurgence like the hornet has.not that it’s probably ever fallen out of favour with serious gun nuts anyway. 222 has it’s own dedicated forum now apparently. Go the 222 :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 14 Aug 2018, 12:16 pm

Yes 222 its a nice little round rich...it was big with the benchresters in its day...but with the cost & availability of 223 for average hunting rifles, id safely say the 222 has seen its peak mate... :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 14 Aug 2018, 12:29 pm

Yeh Stix , thanks to American obsessions with ar15’s . 223 ammo is dirt cheap. From a reloading, easy accuracy point of view 222 is awesome. I’m won over on it . But I like all the old stuff. Me old mate stoney reckons he wouldn’t be supprised to see me hunt with a muzzle loader :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 14 Aug 2018, 2:11 pm

bigrich wrote:Will do Stix. I’m finding 222 to be one of the most accurate and easy to load for calibers. I reckon it’ll have a resurgence like the hornet has.not that it’s probably ever fallen out of favour with serious gun nuts anyway. 222 has it’s own dedicated forum now apparently. Go the 222 :thumbsup:

+1 :drinks: its a great little round
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Aug 2018, 3:46 pm

marksman wrote:
bigrich wrote:Will do Stix. I’m finding 222 to be one of the most accurate and easy to load for calibers. I reckon it’ll have a resurgence like the hornet has.not that it’s probably ever fallen out of favour with serious gun nuts anyway. 222 has it’s own dedicated forum now apparently. Go the 222 :thumbsup:

+1 :drinks: its a great little round

any preference for powder and projectiles MM ? i'm looking at general use as a walk around ,foxes,dogs,cats, goats. just have too really pick my shots with the dogs and goats. got some hornady 50 gr sp's, was gunna get some bench mark 2 like stix suggested . :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 14 Aug 2018, 6:41 pm

I know you didnt ask me, but If you're including goats in the game range for the 222 id stick to the heavier end...from 55's.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 14 Aug 2018, 8:15 pm

will test to see how 55's work in my rifle stix ole mate. if 50's are more accurate i would stick with those .have heard some 55's work in 222, some don't. you got a brand recommendation for 55's stix ? would be really picking my shots with 50's in that instance but. head/neck at reasonable range. goats are like fish in a barrel at times where i go. don't really cull them out, more just a nice day out in the high country to get some good meat for the freezer. bit like my attitude to fishing, i only take what i can use/need. unless it's a nasty feral, cat ,fox dog etc :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 Sep 2018, 8:19 pm

well i couldn't help myself. i bought another toy :P iv'e bin searching for a scrub/ute gun, something compact , quick to point with good firepower.i've tried lever guns by marlin and winchester in 30-30, a CVA break-action scout in 45-70 and they weren't quite the versatile all-rounder i was looking for (i still regret selling my 1974 made model '94 but ), but i think i've finally found it. i got a second hand ruger gunsite in 308 win. straight up it reminds me of a 303 jungle carbine. mine has the 18 inch barrel (no flash hider ), after removing the front site (it's held in place by a roll pin) it seems to shoot a bit tighter. i bought a 5 shot poly mag in place of the steel 10 round mag. the main reason i did this is remembering 10 shot mags on 22's i had years ago used to catch on stuff, branches seat belts and such. as it's 308 win, i didn't want to under scope it with the 1.5-4x20 scope i had off my 45-70, so i did some trading for a 2-7x33 leupold. at 4 power the feild of vision is the same as the smaller scope. if i go that low in magnification in a scope again i'll get a leupold vx-5 with a red dot in it. the trigger on this rifle has already been tweaked and the scout scope rail removed and screw holes plugged. i got some ammo in the deal with my local gun shop, federal 130 gr eagle hp's. at the range this rifle had great trigger feel and good accuracy as the pics show. it's very pointable , the laminate stock is heavier than a plastic one,although it's 6.6 pound without scope, but in combination with the good recoil pad, it's got pleasant kick for what it is. i had the gun shop add a spacer to increase length of pull for me. this is a great feature on this rifle. with the solid s/steel ruger made controled feed mauser action and barrel, i reckon i've got the "one rifle" for just about every situation. reloads with 180 gr could prove interesting ;) :thumbsup: would absolutely recommend one of these rugers :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_0134[1].JPG
the gunsite ruger
IMG_0134[1].JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 5308 times
IMG_0135[1].JPG
100 yards with federal 130gr hp's
IMG_0135[1].JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 5308 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: New Ruger American Rimfire compact in 22WMR

Post by bigrich » 04 Sep 2018, 11:47 am

Damn. Clicked on the wrong thing for the post above. :wtf: must’ve just seen “ruger “. Let that be a lesson to the rest of youse, don’t drink and post :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles