Just starting- recommendations on a 22 rifle

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Just starting- recommendations on a 22 rifle

Post by PaddyT » 07 Jun 2018, 2:02 pm

By once,cry once
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pappaszx9 » 25 Jun 2018, 2:44 am

Thanks for everyone's recommendations! I went to the Shot Expo over the weekend and ended up buying a Tikka T1x. I ended up narrowing it down to the Lithgow LA101 and the Tikka. The Lithgow looks and feels like a great gun but the T1X I liked just that bit more.
pappaszx9
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 25 Jun 2018, 6:35 am

:thumbsup:
Let us know how its shoots...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 25 Jun 2018, 10:58 am

pappaszx9 wrote:Thanks for everyone's recommendations! I went to the Shot Expo over the weekend and ended up buying a Tikka T1x. I ended up narrowing it down to the Lithgow LA101 and the Tikka. The Lithgow looks and feels like a great gun but the T1X I liked just that bit more.

pappa did yu get to handle both of them at the show?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by green_comet » 25 Jun 2018, 1:30 pm

pappaszx9 wrote:The Lithgow looks and feels like a great gun but the T1X I liked just that bit more.

What was it about the Tikka that you liked? I'm currently looking to get my first gun (a 22LR) and I've been looking at both of these and the CZ455.
green_comet
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by winton » 29 Jun 2018, 2:36 pm

I've seen the Steyr zepher 2. Its a CZ clone, but it oozes quality. Has anyone shot these yet?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pappaszx9 » 03 Jul 2018, 3:39 pm

in2anity wrote:
pappaszx9 wrote:Thanks for everyone's recommendations! I went to the Shot Expo over the weekend and ended up buying a Tikka T1x. I ended up narrowing it down to the Lithgow LA101 and the Tikka. The Lithgow looks and feels like a great gun but the T1X I liked just that bit more.

Yes mate got to hold both, they had a good deal on the Tikka. I also liked the bolt on the Tikka better. You could hear that the Lithgow had grooves in the bolt left from when they machined it. I think this would bother me after a while. I know it's being picky but it didn't feel as smooth as the Tikka.
pappaszx9
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pappaszx9 » 03 Jul 2018, 3:45 pm

Stix wrote::thumbsup:
Let us know how its shoots...

Could be the end of the month before I get it. . One of the guys showing the guns told me they had 1400 pre-orders?!?! Not sure how true that is though?

My cousin has the Lithgow, so will try and test them side by side, not that I will really be a good judge of quality as I've only shot a handful of guns.
pappaszx9
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pappaszx9 » 03 Jul 2018, 3:52 pm

green_comet wrote:
pappaszx9 wrote:The Lithgow looks and feels like a great gun but the T1X I liked just that bit more.

What was it about the Tikka that you liked? I'm currently looking to get my first gun (a 22LR) and I've been looking at both of these and the CZ455.

As above mate, I liked the bolt on the Tikka better. Also They had a show special on the T1X that came with scope, torch, bipod, bag, bolt knob and sling, whereas the Lithgow didn't have any specials. To be honest I didn't look too hard at the CZ as I think I decided prior that I wanted the Lithgow or Tikka.
pappaszx9
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 03 Jul 2018, 3:55 pm

pappaszx9 wrote:
in2anity wrote:

You could hear that the Lithgow had grooves in the bolt left from when they machined it. I think this would bother me after a while. I know it's being picky but it didn't feel as smooth as the Tikka.

For the record, I can tell you with 100% certainty that "grittiness" slicks up with time - my buddy and I regularly shoot LA101s in comp, and after a couple of thousand rounds, they become silky smooth. In a way I was kind of sad, as it meant she wasn't brand spanking new anymore! Also for the record, the LA101's accuracy only improves with age...

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of the t1x - I have a t3 CTR centerfire (which I also use for comp), and I absolutely adore it. The thing is insanely accurate, buttery smooth and 100% reliable. I'd be very surprised if the t1x does not follow suit.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jul 2018, 6:57 pm

In what sort of competition do you use your Tikka CTR? What caliber is that chambered in?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 03 Jul 2018, 7:20 pm

SCJ429 wrote:In what sort of competition do you use your Tikka CTR? What caliber is that chambered in?

It’s a silhouette build chambered in 308, which I’ve also shot a bit of invitational 3p with. Anyways point is, from what I’ve gathered, the t1x is the same stock as the t3x, so the feel of the tikkas is one-in-same (which is a damn good thing!)
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Nigel » 08 Jul 2018, 10:28 pm

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the rifle.

Did they give you any undertakings on timing? Rumour on the internet is that there was some sort of issue with the first T1Xs that caused the long delivery delay. Apparently the first rifles they delivered in Finland had to be recalled and the buyers are only getting them back now. It seems Tikka is being very tight lipped but estimates for delivery in the US range from July to October. I would be surprised if we got deliveries before the US.
Nigel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by pappaszx9 » 05 Sep 2018, 2:43 pm

Nigel wrote:

Did they give you any undertakings on timing? Rumour on the internet is that there was some sort of issue with the first T1Xs that caused the long delivery delay. Apparently the first rifles they delivered in Finland had to be recalled and the buyers are only getting them back now. It seems Tikka is being very tight lipped but estimates for delivery in the US range from July to October. I would be surprised if we got deliveries before the US.

Mate I am still waiting for it to arrive!! I've messaged beretta on facebook and they didn't give me any indication of timing. Pretty poor effort!!
pappaszx9
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 05 Sep 2018, 5:23 pm

Yes mate I expected this would happen. I tossed up between the Tikka and Lithgow however I am sceptical about purchasing a rifle that isn’t in country yet.
Hope they pull their finger out mate. I am sure it will be a quality bit of kit and worth the wait anyways.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sawyers » 06 Sep 2018, 11:37 am

pappaszx9 wrote:
Nigel wrote:

Mate I am still waiting for it to arrive!! I've messaged beretta on facebook and they didn't give me any indication of timing. Pretty poor effort!!

I think you'll be waiting awhil, Berreta just released a statement saying the 22lr version wont land in Australia for another 4 to 6 weeks then they have to pass customs and all the rest of that political s**t before distribution and there in very limited numbers.
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Nigel » 06 Sep 2018, 11:58 am

pappaszx9 wrote:Mate I am still waiting for it to arrive!! I've messaged beretta on facebook and they didn't give me any indication of timing. Pretty poor effort!!

Beretta Australia posted this on their facebook page on Tuesday:
Good news! We have received the first (limited) shipment of the Tikka T1x in .17HMR and they will be sent out to shops over the next week. There are not enough rifles to cover existing back-orders so we cannot guarantee everyone waiting will get one in this round but more are on the way!
We have been getting a lot of questions about delivery times for the T1x. Unfortunately, due to unexpectedly large demand, there have been significant delays, causing our original June estimate to go out the window.
We promise to do a better job of communicating delays through our social media channels so that you guys can stay up-to-date on when we expect to receive these hotly anticipated products in Australia.
For those waiting on the .22LR, we expect to receive the first shipment in about 4-8 weeks. Unfortunately we cannot pinpoint this date due to external delays that may be caused due to paperwork and associated bureaucracy!

Stay tuned for more updates!

Given the history of this, I wouldn't be shocked if people are still waiting at Christmas.

I think most of the blame for this lies with Tikka. It seems like they are giving importers and distributors around the world very poor information. On the other hand, Beretta Australia knew that there was a lot of uncertainty around delivery timing and should have told you this before they took your money. I went to Shot Expo in Sydney and, when I pressed the Beretta rep on this, he admitted that they had no idea when the rifles would arrive.

I think it's highly likely that when you do eventually receive your rifle you will be very happy with it and will think the wait was worthwhile. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the gun.
Nigel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ClaytonT88 » 06 Sep 2018, 2:12 pm

I'm still 4-6 weeks away from getting my licence so hopefully the 22LR's are here by then but I have a feeling it won't be til the new year...
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by pappaszx9 » 12 Sep 2018, 8:15 am

Yes, I've been contemplating getting a refund and going with the lithgow or CZ, but I've waited this long so what's another month or two? I'm really hoping it will be worth the wait and I haven't got the first batch that may be riddled with problems.

I was actually told by a Beretta rep at the gun show that they would be delivered in August (about a month from the show). The main thing that gets me is that Beretta haven't communicated anything to people that purchased the gun or even the store as to the delays up until now? I think if I was told they have some teething issues they are sorting out I would be happy they were sorted before they send me the gun, but they have been pretty tight lipped about the reasons it's been so drawn out.
pappaszx9
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 12 Sep 2018, 9:14 am

pappaszx9 wrote:Yes, I've been contemplating getting a refund and going with the lithgow or CZ, but I've waited this long so what's another month or two? I'm really hoping it will be worth the wait and I haven't got the first batch that may be riddled with problems.

I was actually told by a Beretta rep at the gun show that they would be delivered in August (about a month from the show). The main thing that gets me is that Beretta haven't communicated anything to people that purchased the gun or even the store as to the delays up until now? I think if I was told they have some teething issues they are sorting out I would be happy they were sorted before they send me the gun, but they have been pretty tight lipped about the reasons it's been so drawn out.

It could be more than a couple months away mate - especially as we encroach on Chrissy.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pappaszx9 » 05 Oct 2018, 9:59 am

So, just been told that it will more than likely be late this year early next year........gee I hope it's worth the wait!
pappaszx9
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 05 Oct 2018, 5:22 pm

I have a CZ 452 American and couldn't be happier
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by duncan61 » 05 Oct 2018, 11:33 pm

Your a better man than me pappa.get a refund and try again
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 12 Oct 2018, 1:43 am

If I was buying a new rifle today it would be a CZ and I'd expect my grandchildren to be shooting it in 50 years. I own three in both rimfire and centrefire and would not hesitate to buy another if I had the need. One proviso - if you want a walk around rifle don't go for the Varmint model. I did and it's a great shooter but heavy to lug about and shoot offhand. The Classic, Lux etc are just as accurate and much more carry friendly. If spotlighting from a vehicle my Varmint is a laser.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 12 Oct 2018, 5:15 am

Diamond Jim wrote:If I was buying a new rifle today it would be a CZ and I'd expect my grandchildren to be shooting it in 50 years. I own three in both rimfire and centrefire and would not hesitate to buy another if I had the need. One proviso - if you want a walk around rifle don't go for the Varmint model. I did and it's a great shooter but heavy to lug about and shoot offhand. The Classic, Lux etc are just as accurate and much more carry friendly. If spotlighting from a vehicle my Varmint is a laser.

Actually weight is good for shooting offhand
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 15 Oct 2018, 1:50 am

YMMV. An extra 500g or so is significant to me.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by pappaszx9 » 20 Nov 2018, 7:06 pm

I was just sitting here thinking my gun should be here in the next few weeks...... Hopefully! It dawned on me that the pta I had would have expired by now! Will I have to wait another 28 days as I let the pta lapse, due to waiting for the gun for so long? Or will it be a standard 7-10 days?
pappaszx9
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles