The fox pages

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: The fox pages

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Mar 2019, 5:44 pm

You did hin a great favour AJB.

what was the cartridge.?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Mar 2019, 5:55 pm

Nice one AJB, she/he looks like they have been doing it real tuff, I don't often see them like that out this way (most of em seem to be in pretty good nick for the most part) I do remember shooting one like that yrs and yrs ago no, it was that hungry it kept raiding our rubbish pit we had going out camping and wasn't scared of us at all it just stayed there and scrounged for food, I ended up putting it down as it really smelt bad and looked like it was on it's last legs really.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AJB » 16 Mar 2019, 6:06 pm

Thanx I use a 22 magnum by Savage for close calling but I Also have a savage 204 ruger for when the little buggers don't budge at long range it has to be one of the best fox guns ever never let's me down
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 16 Mar 2019, 6:15 pm

This is one I got up right next to it they seem to be very disorientated and don't bother running off I didn't have my riffle with me and your right big fellas it stunk real bad I think they get it from wombat holes the pic ain't the best but ya can see it's not healthy the one I shot today was a dog
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-09-17-18-11-50.png
Screenshot_2018-09-17-18-11-50.png (692.96 KiB) Viewed 5723 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Mar 2019, 6:22 pm

AJB wrote:This is one I got up right next to it they seem to be very disorientated and don't bother running off I didn't have my riffle with me and your right big fellas it stunk real bad I think they get it from wombat holes the pic ain't the best but ya can see it's not healthy the one I shot today was a dog

Yeah it's in poor condition too hey, I hate seeing em like that, it's a shame you didn't have something to put it down with hey. Yeah I don't know why they get like that (ever bothered trying to find out to be honest) so can't say why it's so, I know the females can get a bit mangy after having pups but I put that down to being down a hole with em for a fair bit of time and of course sustaining them during that time. :drinks:

keep up the great work mate :thumbsup:

P.S. I agree re the 204 - it's a great cal for nailing foxes at long distances :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AJB » 16 Mar 2019, 6:52 pm

Got this pup a few months back 204 to the head at around 250 mtrs dropped on the spot it was sitting on a rock with another pup it dropped and the other pup went like a bat out of hell thew long grass I couldn't line it up it was that fast :lol:
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-03-14-16-27-25.png
Screenshot_2019-03-14-16-27-25.png (449.06 KiB) Viewed 5716 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 03 Apr 2019, 8:41 pm

I took the opportunity last night (Tuesday) to do some spotlighting. The property was reasonably close to home so it wasn’t a major mission to get there. The property is easy to get around and the owner has seen a few foxes recently. I saw one fox almost straight away, but he was a long way off and wouldn’t come into the caller. The swine! So I drove around and tried different calls with plenty of nothing to show for my efforts. I then decided to switch to a “fox pup distress call”. The paddock was flat clear and bounded by trees. A flock of sheep were off to one side being the dimwitted quadrupeds I love so much at a barbecue.

I set up the call. Sat in the car and waited. When I switched the spotlight on a few minutes later, there sitting in the paddock was a quizzical fox. I managed to satisfy its’ curiosity about the noise with my .204. It was a formerly very healthy looking vixen. This fox has taken my tally for this year to 22. I also bowled over a couple of Roos. So in all it was an enjoyable mid week trip. Much better than sitting at home watching telly.

9A8C6C76-6DFA-47CE-82F1-6A57F083DAAC.jpeg
9A8C6C76-6DFA-47CE-82F1-6A57F083DAAC.jpeg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 5911 times
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by AJB » 04 Apr 2019, 11:58 am

Nice one bruiser you had better luck than me went out to a property last Saturday around lunch time called 3 to the whistle and stuffed up every shot but still better then watching TV
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 04 Apr 2019, 5:48 pm

Nice work Bruiser.
I'm just out sniping a few bunnies at the moment before dark then I'll have a look for a few foxes . Nothing to hectic be in bed by eleven ! :-)
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Apr 2019, 5:58 pm

Bludy hell bruiser...all my foxes moved over your way... :unknown:
This time last year id had around your amount...
Not telling how many ive nailed so far this year...bloody embarrasing not to mention annoying.

And you're a tease SthWst...a bloody tease...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 04 Apr 2019, 9:52 pm

Thanks for the comments fellas. We certainly seem to have a lot of foxes here along the south coast of WA. I think the fact we are relatively sparsely populated and isolated contributes to the numbers. What l have found is time out in the paddocks helps build up the numbers shot. I also get to shoot on several different properties so I am learning what works and what doesn’t. Here are a couple of extra foxes I shot two weeks ago on another property

B49CAD2F-6231-4461-B7F4-8904E2238DC3.jpeg
B49CAD2F-6231-4461-B7F4-8904E2238DC3.jpeg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 5870 times

I went out with a mate of mine on that evening and we saw at least half a dozen foxes. I am sure I shot one extra fox. It was in a very tussocky area and we couldn’t find it.
Attachments
1349405A-3E30-40D3-BF77-693594767D8E.jpeg
1349405A-3E30-40D3-BF77-693594767D8E.jpeg (648.07 KiB) Viewed 5870 times
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 05 Apr 2019, 10:00 am

Same here bruiser , shot three last night .
Solid hits , all went down but surprisingly two had enough energy to drag themselves down into the tussocky creek flats ! Big blood trails so I don't think they'd live long .
Tough buggers , shot with 223 rem Winchester super x 55 gr sp ammo .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Apr 2019, 5:21 pm

southwest shooter wrote:Same here bruiser , shot three last night .
Solid hits , all went down but surprisingly two had enough energy to drag themselves down into the tussocky creek flats ! Big blood trails so I don't think they'd live long .

Not having a go. I have shot a fair few with a 223. Yet to have a chest shot one not be a bang flop. If i had 2 run off i would be checking my zero.

Other wise, bloody well done.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 05 Apr 2019, 6:17 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
southwest shooter wrote:Same here bruiser , shot three last night .

Not having a go. I have shot a fair few with a 223. Yet to have a chest shot one not be a bang flop. If i had 2 run off i would be checking my zero.

Other wise, bloody well done.

Yes good point I'm going to do it over the weekend .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 07 Apr 2019, 3:46 pm

I though I was doing well with my fox shooting until I spoke to a bloke at work. I was speaking o him about an upcoming Red Card For Foxes shoot. They run it as a competition. He tells he was in a team that won it several years with 70 foxes in one night!! Oh my gawd! He said they lined up several properties for the night and just went from each one quite quickly. I am going to have a crack at the upcoming event. Hard to see us getting close to those numbers.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 07 Apr 2019, 4:19 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:I though I was doing well with my fox shooting until I spoke to a bloke at work. I was speaking o him about an upcoming Red Card For Foxes shoot. They run it as a competition. He tells he was in a team that won it several years ago with 70 foxes in one night!! Oh my gawd! He said they lined up several properties for the night and just went from each one quite quickly. I am going to have a crack at the upcoming event. Hard to see us getting close to those numbers.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Jon79 » 16 Apr 2019, 8:01 pm

Went for a shot tonight only had the .308 and 165gr gamekings wasn’t looking for foxes but this fella sat up 100m away..... think it might have been over kill
Attachments
BBBB1B48-0CDB-406A-BFA4-7DF15AE39BE9.jpeg
BBBB1B48-0CDB-406A-BFA4-7DF15AE39BE9.jpeg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 5759 times
D197AC62-827B-4015-B8DA-AC8E10324868.jpeg
D197AC62-827B-4015-B8DA-AC8E10324868.jpeg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 5759 times
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 16 Apr 2019, 8:16 pm

Jon79 wrote:Went for a shot tonight only had the .308 and 165gr gamekings wasn’t looking for foxes but this fella sat up 100m away..... think it might have been over kill

No Jon. I’m not seeing it. You just didn’t want to risk a flesh wound, that’s all. Mind you, not really a lot of point checking for a pulse.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by ClaytonT88 » 16 Apr 2019, 10:04 pm

That's some serious hydraulic compression!
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by AJB » 20 Apr 2019, 1:04 pm

:violin: :violin: Got these two buggers out of the blackberries this morning came running to the apex whistle it works well out in the rolling hills
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-04-20-13-00-46.png
Screenshot_2019-04-20-13-00-46.png (816.76 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 20 Apr 2019, 1:08 pm

:violin: :violin:
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-04-20-13-06-42.png
Screenshot_2019-04-20-13-06-42.png (522.94 KiB) Viewed 5595 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AJB » 21 Apr 2019, 8:03 am

:violin: :violin:
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-04-21-08-02-25.png
Screenshot_2019-04-21-08-02-25.png (807.42 KiB) Viewed 5550 times
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 22 Apr 2019, 9:26 pm

I am back home having spent the Easter long weekend at my brother in laws farm. As a shooter, l was pretty keen to make the most of whatever opportunities came my way. On Friday just before dusk the brother in law and I decided to see if we could call in a fox. He’s never seen a fox get called in and I was keen to give it a crack. My .243 Tikka T3x Lite is the ducks nuts at his place because it gets pretty blowie there (even for WA). So at our first sit I got going with the shaker. After a few minutes I spotted a fox ambling towards us. It sat off about 150 yards so I switched over to my new Best Fox Call Original Caller. It came trotting in again and sat out at around 70 yards. With a squeeze on the trigger, down she went.

E7C6079F-556A-44BC-8977-4B65E21E6F6F.jpeg
E7C6079F-556A-44BC-8977-4B65E21E6F6F.jpeg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 5512 times

We had another couple of sits but didn’t see another fox. So we headed back to the house for dinner. We went out after dinner to do some spotlighting, but we didn’t see any more foxes. We got a couple of Roos for dog feed. So it wasn’t a bad start to the long weekend.

I managed to persuade the brother in law to go out the next night. He wanted to target a few rabbits on the property. He tells me that in the past rabbits were apparently a huge problem and he was keen to get on top of the small patches that are there now. I decided to take the 204 and use the red filter on my spotlight. We started on a big paddock and saw a fox dart across in the distance. I got the Best Original Fox Caller going. In he came trotting along the fence line. A caress of the trigger and it was lights out for a well conditioned dog fox. We kept going and picked up about 6 rabbits and a few more Roos. The red light worked well. The bunnies were more settled under the red light. Normally they are pretty restless when the white light hits them. I managed to shoot 3 in quick succession, which was satisfying.

F946F02F-77EE-4CEB-9F97-DC674A62069F.jpeg
F946F02F-77EE-4CEB-9F97-DC674A62069F.jpeg (665.68 KiB) Viewed 5512 times

On night 3 I went out on my own. Two nights in a row was plenty for the brother in law. I wanted to have a final crack at the foxes. I went out into the big paddock I shot the dog fox the previous night. I got the shaker caller going. I would turn the light on, sweep the paddock. See nothing and then call again. After doing this for about 10 minutes I switched the light on again. There sitting about 50 yards from the car was a quizzical fox wondering about the noise. Clearly it didn’t have to spend too long guessing. Down went fox number 3 for the weekend.

BDB3041D-2059-4A84-8493-84404590A95A.jpeg
BDB3041D-2059-4A84-8493-84404590A95A.jpeg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 5512 times

I drove around for another hour or so. I saw another couple of foxes, but couldn’t get a ping at them. I did get another bunny, so that was ok. In summary it was an enjoyable weekend of shooting. I learned more about foxing. I also learned I need to modify my shooting setup from the vehicle as I missed an opportunity at a fox by a poor setup choice. It’s all about enjoying the experience and thinning out the fox numbers. I am now up to 25 for this calendar year.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 23 Apr 2019, 1:11 am

good story bruiser64
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by AJB » 23 Apr 2019, 9:13 am

Cool story bruiser they look to be in good condition
AJB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Apr 2019, 2:33 pm

Nice job Bruiser, good to see someone out cleaning up the red coats.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bruiser64 » 23 Apr 2019, 8:32 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Nice job Bruiser, good to see someone out cleaning up the red coats.

Thanks Bigfella. There’s a Redcard For Foxes event this Saturday night. So hopefully we will get a few more. I am finding the fox shooting quite addictive. It’s a bit like the enjoyment I got Barra fishing when I lived in Kununurra years ago. Learning how to do it and building up a little bit of skill is quite satisfying. Still a pretty steep learning curve ahead of me though.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 23 Apr 2019, 8:37 pm

AJB wrote::violin: :violin:

That’s a nice haul AJB. What rifle are you using? It looks an effective bit of kit.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Apr 2019, 8:40 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Nice job Bruiser, good to see someone out cleaning up the red coats.

Thanks Bigfella. There’s a Redcard For Foxes event this Saturday night. So hopefully we will get a few more. I am finding the fox shooting quite addictive. It’s a bit like the enjoyment I got Barra fishing when I lived in Kununurra years ago. Learning how to do it and building up a little bit of skill is quite satisfying. Still a pretty steep learning curve ahead of me though.

Very addictive mate - I used to get right into it but have lost a bit of interest in it over the last few yrs but trying to find my mojo again.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bruiser64 » 23 Apr 2019, 10:15 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:

Very addictive mate - I used to get right into it but have lost a bit of interest in it over the last few yrs but trying to find my mojo again.

It’s funny how things like that happen. Over the years I’ve gotten right into my motorcycling, fishing and golf. At the moment it’s the shooting that has taken hold again. My wife worries whenever I express an interest in a new hobby. She reckons I have plenty to be going on with.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control