Go find your own patch.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Go find your own patch.

Post by deye243 » 02 Dec 2019, 3:35 am

grandadbushy wrote:I find even up here some farmers don't treasure the shooter doing it for them free I had one place where I had shot many wild dogs over the years and chased them all hours of the night all of a sudden there is a camp on the creek full of piss heads so I ask what's going on the info was farmers son was mates with them and gave them permission for future shoots as well I asked the farmer and his answer was there's plenty of land for everybody my answer was they could have it to them selves then one year later he has been in contact with me dogs are increasing there now because the others were too useless to get any so my answer to the farmer $170 per dog nobody on the place while i'm there he refuses to pay for the dogs but will keep the people out but bite me once and that's it I told him there's plenty of land for all and I've found some elsewhere sorry , all the other farmers have been watching and listening to this saga with him and have taken notice from it and tightened up their act as well mind you there was only a couple I have found that let others on but it has since stopped following my episode with that other farmer I won't shoot dogs for farmers if others are shooting there also if something gets shot accidently then it was me but I won't be blamed for some others stupidity as I would never accidently shoot anything I don't shoot unless it clear and safe to do so. I feel your pain Elmer and you do some awesome posting hope you have other properties if not just show them some of the videos you do and I don't think you'll be looking for long Cheers :thumbsup:

Could not have said it better myself ...... I won't shoot on a property unless I have exclusive access, l have my reasons and when they see the job I can do they have no trouble agreeing ......
deye243
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by siddeeky » 02 Dec 2019, 5:35 am

Diamond Jim wrote:My take is that I'm privileged to be permitted to shoot on any land I don't actually own. That includes farms that have been my family for over 50 years - but I don't actually own them. I'd never criticise a landowner for permitting others to shoot on their land. Disappointed, yes, but it's their property, their decision. Unauthorised shooters are a completely different matter.

I'm in the same boat mate. I'd never expect payment or ammo, because let's be honest, whilst farmers get a benefit from having rabbits/pigs/foxes shot, for most shooters just being there is a huge upside. Farming land is a livelihood for farmers, and in most cases also a family asset with strong sense of generational belonging. Being allowed there unsupervised is a huge gesture of trust by a farmer, and they owe me nothing further, not do I expect or ask for it.
siddeeky
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 02 Dec 2019, 8:29 am

Sounds like you had a good run :drinks:

but as usually these thing always come to an end.

Time to get off ya butt, be more proactive, make new friends or buy ya own ranch :lol:
Bill
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 02 Dec 2019, 9:47 am

hate white ants, sad to say a lot of people I could take shooting I don't purely as they will definitely white ant/termite their way in to the place and then next thing the floodgate will be opened resulting in no one either enjoying the property and or no one being allowed after one or more do the wrong thing. had it happen too many times before and a whole generation of blokes and blokettes saying the same thing arent wrong. sadly there is a habit in aussie culture where the old overkill bill adage rings very true.
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by grandadbushy » 02 Dec 2019, 10:36 am

I can understand Diamond Jim what you're saying but it all depends on the situation if you have a verbal contract with the farmer then both sides have to work to an understanding either way yes the owner has the final say then you decide whether you are going to do the job but if you are chasing a troublesome dog the last thing you need is strangers galloping all over the country side I to shoot for nothing at times and don't want my time wasted by others especially when I've invested weeks to nail this dog for zero $ a farmer has every right to let others in to shoot but that depends on how serious he is on removing problem dogs or ferals nobody has suggested that the farmer should only let one person in by all means let people in but it is a well known fact that if one person is doing the job properly then its best left at that because dogs and ferals will spook and become skitty the killing doesn't stop but the catches do and that's bad for a farmer this is why I don't shoot dogs or ferals on properties that let others in it turns out to only be a camping trip not a life saver for the farmer there are many different opinions out there and mostly the ones that say others should be let on are those that mostly want some where to shoot or owners not a shooter dedicated to their job but all up if all is serious about culling ferals then I can safely say 95% of serious feral cullers would want to be the only ones allowed on that property but on saying that the shooter has to keep up their end of the bargain or loose the property to others :thumbsup:
grandadbushy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 02 Dec 2019, 4:31 pm

when it comes to access, ya gotta take what ya can get , when ya can get it ;) as stated by others , it's at the owners discretion . their block , their rules . when i'm a guest on someones property, i consider myself lucky to be there .

when i win the lotto and buy 10 000 hectres, your all invited :D

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major
Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 02 Dec 2019, 4:35 pm

flutch wrote:hate white ants, sad to say a lot of people I could take shooting I don't purely as they will definitely white ant/termite their way in to the place and then next thing the floodgate will be opened resulting in no one either enjoying the property and or no one being allowed after one or more do the wrong thing. had it happen too many times before and a whole generation of blokes and blokettes saying the same thing arent wrong. sadly there is a habit in aussie culture where the old overkill bill adage rings very true.

i've heard that story before , a fella i know let a fella go on his block down at deep water in NSW as a freindly gesture . weeks later he hears from the neihbours this guys bin back nearly every weekend with all his mates . that property is now locked to everyone ......... :cry:
bigrich
Major
Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Dec 2019, 6:54 pm

The only person I take to my hunting blocks is my dog. I trust him completely that he will never go back behind my back.......Have you ever seen a boxer staffy cross drive a hilux 600 k without being stopped by the cops ?
Blr243
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Dec 2019, 7:36 pm

While I do understand how it feels to loose the freedom of being the only shooter on the property because I've been there, and I also get annoyed at people who degrade patches of land with little on no care for it or the owner. One thing I always remind myself is that it's not my land. It's the very thing that drives me to keep investing to be able to own my own patch soon.

I've also done countless hours, loads of diesel, thousands of rounds, several spotlight globes, steaked tyres and gallons of beer in the pursuit of eradicating pests on other people's properties with little praise and no reward other than the joy of getting out for a shot... That's generally the name of the game unless your doing it for a profession.

All that said, I do have one property owner who has me as his only shooter, he has given me 2 pillow cases full of shotgun cartridges and quenches my thirst while telling how much he appreciates what I'm doing.

His contact details are in the following link.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand.

on_one_wheel LIVES LEFT: 3..BONUS POINTS: 8

Did my post offend you? If you answered yes, send me a PM and I'll direct you to the nearest safe space.
on_one_wheel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 03 Dec 2019, 9:54 am

grandadbushy wrote:I find even up here some farmers don't treasure the shooter doing it for them free I had one place where I had shot many wild dogs over the years and chased them all hours of the night all of a sudden there is a camp on the creek full of piss heads so I ask what's going on the info was farmers son was mates with them and gave them permission for future shoots as well I asked the farmer and his answer was there's plenty of land for everybody my answer was they could have it to them selves then one year later he has been in contact with me dogs are increasing there now because the others were too useless to get any so my answer to the farmer $170 per dog nobody on the place while i'm there he refuses to pay for the dogs but will keep the people out but bite me once and that's it I told him there's plenty of land for all and I've found some elsewhere sorry , all the other farmers have been watching and listening to this saga with him and have taken notice from it and tightened up their act as well mind you there was only a couple I have found that let others on but it has since stopped following my episode with that other farmer I won't shoot dogs for farmers if others are shooting there also if something gets shot accidently then it was me but I won't be blamed for some others stupidity as I would never accidently shoot anything I don't shoot unless it clear and safe to do so. I feel your pain Elmer and you do some awesome posting hope you have other properties if not just show them some of the videos you do and I don't think you'll be looking for long Cheers :thumbsup:

Thanks Bushy, yeah its annoying alright but I keep telling myself "its not my land", a little cash would be nice once in a while...I bet he regrets being so flippant with your help...perhaps he could start his own puppy farm :lol:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 03 Dec 2019, 10:00 am

sungazer wrote:Bit of a downer from your point of view Elmer nut I assume Mr Farmer doesn't see maintaining a sustainable mob of rabbits as the thing to do. He probably would like total eradication. The viruses have certainly been very effective in some climates/areas and not so in others. Where I am there are virtually none but I believe just 20km away they are at real problem levels. But now shooters are keeping info to themselves. I met one at the GS and when discussing them I asked innocently Oh where and I got the im not bloody telling you. like it was his sacred deer spot or something. In the end he told me roughly where which I had already heard of as it is near me.

True mate, a good property with free access is a little gold mine and like fishing holes they are to be guarded jealously....I havent seen calici where I go but the occasional outbreak of myxo happens but cos its so dry the viruses dont get a chance to take off.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 03 Dec 2019, 10:02 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Its hard mate i lost my patch when my mate broke up with his mrs. Seens as i was good mates with him I've been black listed too

Thats a s**t...good ol relationships :roll:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by grandadbushy » 03 Dec 2019, 10:11 am

Yes Elmer at the end of the day you have to respect the farmers wishes but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt loosing the property
grandadbushy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 03 Dec 2019, 10:19 am

on_one_wheel wrote:While I do understand how it feels to loose the freedom of being the only shooter on the property because I've been there, and I also get annoyed at people who degrade patches of land with little on no care for it or the owner. One thing I always remind myself is that it's not my land. It's the very thing that drives me to keep investing to be able to own my own patch soon.

I've also done countless hours, loads of diesel, thousands of rounds, several spotlight globes, steaked tyres and gallons of beer in the pursuit of eradicating pests on other people's properties with little praise and no reward other than the joy of getting out for a shot... That's generally the name of the game unless your doing it for a profession.

All that said, I do have one property owner who has me as his only shooter, he has given me 2 pillow cases full of shotgun cartridges and quenches my thirst while telling how much he appreciates what I'm doing.

His contact details are in the following link.

Thanks for the link mate, I have already contacted him and will be going up there this Saturday for an intro. :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 03 Dec 2019, 12:41 pm

Ferrisweil wrote:I find this topic interesting in that every property I go to, the owner will strictly forbid anyone else on there at the same time. I’m amazed they’d let multiple “shooters” on a block at once.
Poachers aside, seems like common sense to me. We use all NV and thermal so no torches. Makes me nervous sometimes even when you see spotlights on the neighboring blocks.

Thats common sense, the owner where I go wouldnt have a clue whos on there and leaves it up to his son.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 03 Dec 2019, 12:42 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Yes Elmer at the end of the day you have to respect the farmers wishes but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt loosing the property

Ya got that right Bushy.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 03 Dec 2019, 12:44 pm

Blr243 wrote:The only person I take to my hunting blocks is my dog. I trust him completely that he will never go back behind my back.......Have you ever seen a boxer staffy cross drive a hilux 600 k without being stopped by the cops ?

Mate thats funny.....the good ol four legged friend. :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 03 Dec 2019, 12:45 pm

Bill wrote:Sounds like you had a good run :drinks:

but as usually these thing always come to an end.

Time to get off ya butt, be more proactive, make new friends or buy ya own ranch :lol:

..I tried to mate but the Chinese got there before me :lol:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control