A few more bunnies.

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

A few more bunnies.

Post by Elmer » 14 Dec 2015, 3:06 pm

Well another roasting day on the sandhill at the same spot I took 8 bunnies over a month ago but this time their weren't many around due to a couple of foxes moving in (so the farmer told me).
Anyway, the first two shots were pretty straight forward with one at 245 and 235 yds all shot in the chest and turned into pudding.
The third was a 250 yd head shot, all I could see was his head (and thats all I needed :) ) with 2 clicks for elevation and the same for a gentle right to left breeze I touched off the shot and watched his head vanish with a nice sharp whock a second later.
cheers,
Sean.
https://youtu.be/WjBJw1Nub5E
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: A few more bunnies.

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Dec 2015, 5:22 pm

Keep pluggin those pests. Got 8 myself at the weekend. :D
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 14 Dec 2015, 9:08 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Keep pluggin those pests. Got 8 myself at the weekend. :D

no probs there mate ;)
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 14 Dec 2015, 9:29 pm

Deadly accurate as usual :) Been meaning to ask if you could share the load you use in the 22-250 shooting the 55Gr VMAX as I got a couple boxes the other day to test out.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 14 Dec 2015, 10:26 pm

Hi Brett, Im using the Hornady varmint express load in 55gn but before I use them I run every round through a concentricity gauge . The 0-1 thou runout rounds are used for testing and for ranges from 500-600yds , the 1-2 thou rounds are used for 400-500 yds and the rounds with greater than 2thou are used as barrel foulers and short range stuff.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by ebr love » 15 Dec 2015, 10:24 am

Out of curiosity how much in many of each runout do you get?

Roughly out of say 100 rounds?
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 15 Dec 2015, 11:45 am

Elmer wrote:Hi Brett, Im using the Hornady varmint express load in 55gn but before I use them I run every round through a concentricity gauge . The 0-1 thou runout rounds are used for testing and for ranges from 500-600yds , the 1-2 thou rounds are used for 400-500 yds and the rounds with greater than 2thou are used as barrel foulers and short range stuff.

Factory ammo, cool as I was expecting a meticulously prepared hand load. Hornady quote a M/V of 3253fps so ill aim for that and play with seating depth a bit. I wasn't overly concerned about concentricity with this round as I don't shoot it much past 200m but I'll start checking it just to be sure. Many Thanks :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 15 Dec 2015, 7:09 pm

ebr love wrote:Out of curiosity how much in many of each runout do you get?

Roughly out of say 100 rounds?

You would probably get about 25 of 0-1 , 45 of 1-2 , 20 of 2-3 and the rest over 3or more but that depends on the quality control of each batch. Hornady is pretty good and Winchester sometimes good, other times average. :roll:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 15 Dec 2015, 7:18 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Elmer wrote:Hi Brett, Im using the Hornady varmint express load in 55gn but before I use them I run every round through a concentricity gauge . The 0-1 thou runout rounds are used for testing and for ranges from 500-600yds , the 1-2 thou rounds are used for 400-500 yds and the rounds with greater than 2thou are used as barrel foulers and short range stuff.

Factory ammo, cool as I was expecting a meticulously prepared hand load. Hornady quote a M/V of 3253fps so ill aim for that and play with seating depth a bit. I wasn't overly concerned about concentricity with this round as I don't shoot it much past 200m but I'll start checking it just to be sure. Many Thanks :)

No worries mate.....just to let you know the Hornady varmint express with 55gn vmax the advertised m/v (being 22-250) from a 24" barrel is 3680fps.Even with 2-3 run-out you should have no probs tagging bunnies out to 300mts with chest shots.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bark » 04 Jan 2016, 2:06 pm

Elmer wrote:Winchester sometimes good, other times average. :roll:

That seems to be becoming almost a system for ammo over the last couple of years.

Someone gets a good rep then starts cutting corners (to save cash presumably) and things slide until enough people complain then they pick things up again to save the rep.

Then repeat :|
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supporter » 13 Jan 2016, 9:39 am

Elmer wrote:just to let you know the Hornady varmint express with 55gn vmax the advertised m/v (being 22-250) from a 24" barrel is 3680fps.Even with 2-3 run-out you should have no probs tagging bunnies out to 300mts with chest shots.

From a 22-250, still turning them to mist at that range :lol:
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control