Hunting Rabbits - Open Area or Bushy Area

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Hunting Rabbits - Open Area or Bushy Area

Post by Tomek » 18 Apr 2016, 7:40 pm

Hi,

While on a recent spotting trip to a state forest, I found a valley type area where one side is clear and grassy, while the other has quite a lot of bushes. I am planning on going there again one early morning before sunrise and setting up on one side and watching the other. Would I be better off watching the open area or the bushy area?

Also, would it be a good idea to use a fox whistle to also attract foxes, or is that likely to scare away rabbits?
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Hunting Rabbits - Open Area or Bushy Area

Post by brett1868 » 18 Apr 2016, 9:06 pm

Look around both sides and see if you can spot a warren then sit on the opposite side. Try and work out the range if possible so bullet drop can be calculated so the first shots a winner. Good luck and hope you nail some fur :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 18 Apr 2016, 10:26 pm

First check the scrub (bush) line for any sign of scratchings , dung piles and warrens. Bunnies tend to dig their burrows just inside the scrub line (this provides a quick retreat in case of predators ) and venture out into the open to feed etc.So set your gear up on the opposite side of the scrub line sit, wait and above all be patient.
They normally come out about 1-2 hours before dusk and just on first light , good luck :thumbsup:
Also , dont shoot the first one you see, Bunnies normally send the young ones out first (kind of a recon) to make sure there is no danger present , then if its safe, the rest will follow.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Apr 2016, 10:45 pm

Exactly what Brett said ...
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tomek » 18 Apr 2016, 11:08 pm

Hmm damn. I didn't end up checking for any warrens or rabbit poop in the area I plan to watch. Was tired.. and I was mainly looking for areas that I thought rabbits might be around (near water with grass). Still getting the hang of this. I'm only spotting as I don't have a license yet. However, I've learned that with rabbits, walking around means almost no chance of seeing any animals. Especially in thick forests. Still, it's hard to imagine rabbits being such a problem pest when it's so damn hard to see one haha. Wombat poop on the other hand.. dang.. it's everywhere!
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 18 Apr 2016, 11:19 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Exactly what Brett said ...

Maybe but not as eloquently...Elmer is all class and finesse. I'm a fan of his YouTube long range bunny busting videos, some great shots and advice in there.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 19 Apr 2016, 1:13 pm

...no, he forgot to mention dung piles :lol: :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 19 Apr 2016, 1:22 pm

brett1868 wrote:

Maybe but not as eloquently...Elmer is all class and finesse. I'm a fan of his YouTube long range bunny busting videos, some great shots and advice in there.

Cheers Brett Im glad you liked the vids, will be taking the 250 out in the next week to tag some varmints out to and a little beyond 600yds (if I do my bit) ,the winds are will be around the 10kmh range so with any luck I may get a few.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by chacka » 19 Apr 2016, 2:08 pm

Elmer wrote:Also , dont shoot the first one you see, Bunnies normally send the young ones out first (kind of a recon) to make sure there is no danger present , then if its safe, the rest will follow.

There is a "won't somebody think of the children" joke in that somewhere :lol:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 19 Apr 2016, 3:55 pm

They eventually have to surface to feed. Pick them off with a 22LR and subs. They are only rabbits FFS.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Elmer » 19 Apr 2016, 10:05 pm

happyhunter wrote:They eventually have to surface to feed. Pick them off with a 22LR and subs. They are only rabbits FFS.

Yup when it s too dark to see them and you dont have a spotlight :roll:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Wes » 20 Apr 2016, 3:23 pm

All part of the challenge :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria