Hunt Reports

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunt Reports

Post by RoginaJack » 30 May 2016, 9:28 am

Title_II wrote:I got a fox out in front of my house that one of my neighbors hit with a 1930mm Chevy Silverado. Took 'em right out.

Hmmm, could be a little bit over the top but "Silverado"; is that from the same mine that the Lone Ranger is rumoured to frequent? :lol: :lol: :roll:

Good one!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 22 Jun 2016, 9:00 pm

I was just going through a few pics and thought you mob might like to see a couple.. hope I'm posting it in the right place...

The first five pics was snapped by my hunting mate's trail cam just to test it out, get some snaps to show the kids and get a bit of an idea of what was getting around the general area.

Here he is preaching..

And it appears he is back again at the same location, later in the evening to make sure no challengers are preaching on his tree. Oh and before anyone asks, yes I believe he has his gear out... They always do have it out and urinate when entering a wallow too.... ;)

And a nice doe around the same area.

And a close up, she's certainly not camera shy..

A nice stag downed in a completely different area..

My mate showing off his new gun rack and rubbing in the fact I'm currently 3500 + km away, he always knows what buttons to push to get me down for a hunt..... :twisted:

A nice rub with the .458 leaning up against it... The 500gn projectiles allow you to shoot through small trees if needed.. :D

Hope you mob enjoy and get out there and walk a few up...

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by juststarting » 22 Jun 2016, 9:49 pm

Jealous
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 22 Jun 2016, 10:05 pm

juststarting wrote:Jealous

Don't be bro, just get out there at every opportunity and pay attention to your surroundings, hunt into the wind etc.. ;) Tip is take it slow, look for sign, and don't be disheartened if you go out and don't see anything on numerous occasions... Once you get the feel, you will find that your success stories will be more and more frequent.. Don't be afraid to squish a few droppings between your fingers to see how fresh they are on a trail either.. :thumbsup:

Wash hands before lunch though.. :lol:

Jeff

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by stockliman » 22 Jun 2016, 10:06 pm

I'm still filling in paperwork and sitting on the sideline waiting to play,but here are just a small group of what we have waiting to be cleaned up. This photo was taken from the drivers seat in the car on the road into out place. They were no more than 20m from the car and couldn't care what I did.
stockliman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 22 Jun 2016, 10:14 pm

Beautiful, I've often have success hunting on the fringe of the bush. Particularly around vineyards and other sources of an easy feed.... :thumbsup:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by juststarting » 22 Jun 2016, 10:18 pm

It was more of, damn it, I want to be hunting.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by stockliman » 22 Jun 2016, 10:21 pm

This photo is about a year old now,but they are still around (just fatter). Again,taken from the car about 300-400m from the house. This lot were 30-40m away.
stockliman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 22 Jun 2016, 10:27 pm

juststarting wrote:It was more of, damn it, I want to be hunting.

Sorry mate, I hear you on that one. your handle threw me, I forgot you been around the traps for a while. :oops: . Its better than, well I'll leave it there.. LOL

Jeff
Last edited by darwindingo on 22 Jun 2016, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by darwindingo » 22 Jun 2016, 10:30 pm

stockliman wrote:Image

This photo is about a year old now,but they are still around (just fatter). Again,taken from the car about 300-400m from the house. This lot were 30-40m away.

Damn, Its a plague... Need any help ?... Just let me know where you are :D ....

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by stockliman » 22 Jun 2016, 10:31 pm

darwindingo wrote:Beautiful, I've often have success hunting on the fringe of the bush. Particularly around vineyards and other sources of an easy feed.... :thumbsup:

Jeff

Yes. They seem to love to come out of the trees especially after prolonged rain,heavy frosts or snow. Sometimes they will sleep in the same place in the sun for half a day or so.
stockliman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 22 Jun 2016, 10:41 pm

stockliman wrote:
darwindingo wrote:Beautiful, I've often have success hunting on the fringe of the bush. Particularly around vineyards and other sources of an easy feed.... :thumbsup:

Jeff

Yes. They seem to love to come out of the trees especially after prolonged rain,heavy frosts or snow. Sometimes they will sleep in the same place in the sun for half a day or so.

Ohh Yeah, damn straight... I have found they will bed down in certain places dependent on the climatic conditions at the time. helps a lot when you are looking in the likely places... :thumbsup:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gamerancher » 23 Jun 2016, 4:07 pm

Here's a sample of my pests, they wreck fences and chew new crops down. Half grown ones taste nice and this size I used to shoot but at @ $75/head catching them now pays for toys.
Attachments
pests.jpg
pests.jpg (137.88 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 23 Jun 2016, 5:59 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Here's a sample of my pests, they wreck fences and chew new crops down. Half grown ones taste nice and this size I used to shoot but at @ $75/head catching them now pays for toys.

Nice catch, 75 gold coins ea, is pretty darn good :shock: !.. Yes they can be pretty destructive, I used to go to a property to hunt them in Hillston NSW, was a hell of a lot of them around there.. They are good eating.!

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by stockliman » 23 Jun 2016, 6:55 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Here's a sample of my pests, they wreck fences and chew new crops down. Half grown ones taste nice and this size I used to shoot but at @ $75/head catching them now pays for toys.

Making lemonade out of lemons.

I have a mate bordering the sacred national park who is having his oak/truffles destroyed. Says the deer are at absolute plague proportions. Hopefully once I'm setup we can help him out as well.

We are all on relatively small blocks so hosting hunters isn't a real option without upsetting our neighbours. But because the dept of parks and sparks are not interested in doing there job,we bare the brunt of "game" animals coming off their land once the snowline drops.
stockliman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 23 Jun 2016, 7:10 pm

I thought N.PW.S stood for Noxious Pests & Wildfire Starters?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 23 Jun 2016, 7:46 pm

LOL

Just see how interested they become if you have something on your land that they don't want in their parks !

Btw, here is a couple more pics..

He made several nice Venison Curry's..

The left eye hanging out was a result of a head shot with the 220gn projectile dispensed from the .300 win mag... ;)

Another rather tasty little bugger... :thumbsup:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gamerancher » 23 Jun 2016, 11:44 pm

Nice freezer fillers. :thumbsup: I lived on that stuff for a few months many moons ago. Beef steak was a bit bland after that.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 24 Jun 2016, 2:35 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Nice freezer fillers. :thumbsup: I lived on that stuff for a few months many moons ago. Beef steak was a bit bland after that.

Yeah, my mates daughters complain when they get beef :roll: When they get older, any guy they end up with better either be a hunter or be willing to buy loads of venison back strap etc. :lol:
Last edited by darwindingo on 24 Jun 2016, 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by WayneO » 24 Jun 2016, 2:50 pm

8 live goats; that's almost a new rifle :drinks:
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 24 Jun 2016, 5:02 pm

I know it don't look like it but there was actually 18 on there, they tend to climb on top of each-other. You got to be careful, lost a bunch to suffocation first time I loaded them in the back of the cattle truck.
Last edited by Gamerancher on 03 Jul 2016, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Jun 2016, 5:54 pm

Gamerancher wrote:I thought N.PW.S stood for Noxious Pests & Wildfire Starters?

:lol:
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Jun 2016, 5:57 pm

Australia is the worlds largest exporter of Goat meat, good to see you doing your bit.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 26 Jun 2016, 9:20 pm

Missed opportunity today, Doh :!: Sucks as I'm out of chilli buff snags atm so it is pretty darn disappointing :cry:.. :roll:

Not that my butcher will complain :roll: ( He admits that mine taste better :D , but he still wont buy me a slab of Devils Cut for the recipe :P ).... :roll:

I'm pretty sure he read my mind.. :lol:.. :thumbsdown:

Always happens when everything is all packed away and I'm on the way home to deal with other commitments.. :thumbsdown:
Next time though ! :allegedly:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jul 2016, 5:30 pm

Went for a spotlight last night in cold wet/sleeting/windy conditions (must have been mad to be out in it) anyway we only saw one fox who thought he was safe @280m but he was wrong - I jumped out using the bonnet as a rest put the xhairs on its chest and sent a 39gn Sierra BK on its way from the Howso 204 - that unmistakeable thump sound rang out and Ol mr fox hit the deck, job done and now the chooks can breath a little easier until the next one rolls up. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by juststarting » 02 Jul 2016, 6:13 pm

So this is about a week late, but... Bamby, the older years reunion.

---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jul 2016, 6:51 pm

Yummy!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by juststarting » 03 Jul 2016, 1:10 pm

Full report of my n00b status here: http://myshootingjourney.com/2016/07/03 ... mbar-deer/
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 04 Jul 2016, 5:29 pm

juststarting wrote:Full report of my n00b status here: http://myshootingjourney.com/2016/07/03 ... mbar-deer/

Congrats on your first deer.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 04 Jul 2016, 10:23 pm

Thanks, Baronvonrort. First one is luck, now I need to repeat the process.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control