Is it safe to eat Kangaroo meat?

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Is it safe to eat Kangaroo meat?

Post by Windston » 27 Jun 2018, 10:31 pm

Hi guys,

I cannot find any information anywhere that isn't on some useless greens website about this, so I figured I should ask here.

I have always heard from everyone that kangaroo and wallaby meat from the wild has all sorts of worms and disease, and shouldn't be eaten. So if I were to go through the trouble of getting a roo culling permit (or however it is done) and wanted to fill the freezer, hypothetically, are they ok to butcher and eat? Provided that the butchering is done correctly and they are cooked well?

Obviously it is done, as this is how the meat is harvested for stores, but people I know still seem to be advising against it.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Dan
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Is it safe to eat Kangaroo meat?

Post by Rod_outbak » 28 Jun 2018, 6:15 am

Dan,

There shouldnt be any health reason NOT to eat fresh-killed roo meat, provided you butcher it properly, and take a healthy animal to begin with.

Despite having A LOT of opportunities to eat roo meat every day, I avoid it. I'd probably like to be certain that someone with an experienced eye could look the meat over for disease, before I fire up the barby..
I know it used to be standard practice years ago, to boil any dog meat(roo) before feeding dogs with it, due to parasites.
I really have no idea on how right the parasite thing is, but I dont have the yearning for eating Skippy.

As far as the permits to do so, you might find that a lot of hassle for little gain. To the best of my knowledge, in QLD a cull permit allows someone to shoot the roos and leave them there, whereas a harvesting permit allows you to take the animals to the roo box. But I don't believe either allows you to harvest your own meat, and being caught with that meat would probably cause you a lot of hassle.
However, as you point out, there must be a way to do this, as plenty of people do 'roll their own' roo meat. If you had indigenous blood in you, or had a mate who did, you might be able to swing it as a 'traditional bush food', but I dont know any of the mechanics of doing that.

Roo meat from the roo box costs us around $5 per kilogram(based on what the local council pays for it when we do dog baiting programs), and it has been inspected and supposedly certified. All processed meat these days is for human consumption, and so is all HC certified. They did away with the 'Pet Food' certification about 5 years back. So processed roo meat you buy would have to be good enough to eat yourself(in theory).

Sorry; havent really answered your question properly, but thats about all I know about eating Skippy.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Jun 2018, 7:05 am

G'day Windston,
Kangaroo meat is cleaner than beef or lamb, less parasites and disease and superior in health benefits from much lower trans fats. Don't overcook, rare is best. Don't listen to the crap about Toxo either, only contact with cat faeces can give you Toxoplasmosis so unless you drag the carcass along the ground for a while or are the unluckiest man in history and field dress right on top of some cat poo you are safe. By the way, 'roo meat has never, ever, been identified as transmitting Toxo in this country. Forget the horror stories about massive gut worms too, less worms in 'roo than wild pork or wild goat. google "environment.gov.au/node/16678" Commercial Harvesting of Kangaroo by Pople & Grigg, University of Qld and have a read, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Joffa » 28 Jun 2018, 7:21 am

I’m a chef by trade. Any roo or wallaby meat sold in supermarkets etc are wild, as far as I’m aware there are no farmed wallabies or roo.

I’ve been eating wallaby since I was a child. Treat it properly, don’t cover it in its own guts, keep it cold and refrigerate or freeze ASAP.

Standard food quality control measures should be followed. Specifically the 2/4 hour rule.
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Bills Shed » 28 Jun 2018, 7:42 am

We do not have many kangaroos here but wallaby by the hundred. I have no issues taking the legs off a couple and putting them through the mincer for an slag bog or nice little steaks. Shoot them properly, keep it clean and treat it like a piece of meat you get from your butcher. It is lean so cook accordingly.

Once I have mine on the hook, I then shoot for the dogs. Never had any issues with parasites etc.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 28 Jun 2018, 8:08 am

Yes it is!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
As mentioned above make sure ya have the correct permits :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 28 Jun 2018, 8:36 am

In Victoria there is a Wallaby refered to as a swamp wallaby these are full of worms and yucky things. The Grey Kangaroos that are the common ones that we get permits for to cull. The permit allows you to use the animal on your property as you see fit. The normal process is a DPI officer come and visits you has a look at the property the problems caused by the roos has a look to see how many there are. Ask you a bit about your shooting capability and what you intend to do with the Roos. They dont want them left just on the ground They want them used if you are not going to use them they will only give you a permit to join the Kangaroo Pet food trial. This is a professional shooter that has to come and then takes the roos away to the processor.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigpete » 28 Jun 2018, 9:50 am

Eaten flipping heaps of it. Good tucker
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jon79 » 28 Jun 2018, 10:42 am

Had a mate who lived on the stuff...……..nothing clears a ute quicker than a kangaroo meat fart :wtf:
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 28 Jun 2018, 10:56 am

bigpete wrote:Eaten flipping heaps of it. Good tucker

If its still flipping, your'e not doing it right...
(couldn't resist :D :thumbsup: )
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 28 Jun 2018, 11:07 am

Da , it is vey good .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 28 Jun 2018, 11:08 am

Jon79 wrote:Had a mate who lived on the stuff...……..nothing clears a ute quicker than a kangaroo meat fart :wtf:

;) not just humans, dog farts after a day chewing on wallaby bones. Don't let them in the house.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 28 Jun 2018, 11:23 am

Jon79 wrote:Had a mate who lived on the stuff...……..nothing clears a ute quicker than a kangaroo meat fart :wtf:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

to true :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 28 Jun 2018, 11:59 am

Stix wrote:
bigpete wrote:Eaten flipping heaps of it. Good tucker

If its still flipping, your'e not doing it right...
(couldn't resist :D :thumbsup: )

Depends.
Don't you flip a burger ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 28 Jun 2018, 12:00 pm

So true
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Windston » 29 Jun 2018, 7:41 pm

Ok great, just the information I was after.

For me at the moment it is just gonna be dem waskly wabbits!
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 Jun 2018, 7:58 pm

Windston wrote:Ok great, just the information I was after.

For me at the moment it is just gonna be dem waskly wabbits!

Wabbits ya say...??!!!!
Mate they can carry disease like copper carries electricity...!!!!!
Ya wana watch out for worms with them mate...SERIOUSLY...!!!!

Ah just messin with ya... :lol:
But google hydatids/worms etc... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 29 Jun 2018, 8:03 pm

Nuthin 1 tablet wont fix and its something you should take on a sort of regular basis anyway. Roo meat is a high protien, low fat, high energy meat. My dog bulked out as soon as she started eating it. She eats it to the point of getting sick of it and wants some deer get sick of that and wants some canned food. bloody women can never make up her mind
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bigjobss » 29 Jun 2018, 10:57 pm

Rare backstraps and stewed tails, yum!
Bigjobss

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jun 2018, 11:30 pm

Bleed them good mate and gut them straight away, hang them in the chiller for a day or so and it will be one of the best meats you will eat
I've ate it all my life and i'm 64 now and I still knock one over to eat
Once you learn how you like it cooked then bob's your uncle
Member-Deleted

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control