What does cockatoo taste like

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: What does cockatoo taste like

Post by bigpete » 13 Jul 2018, 1:54 pm

Screenshot_2018-07-13-13-22-45.png
Screenshot_2018-07-13-13-22-45.png (81.54 KiB) Viewed 11564 times
For example,this is from the SA DEW site
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2018, 4:14 pm

Farmerpete wrote:Sorry im new here but now im confused as a farmer i would love to shoot a few theyre eating my peanuts as we speak but i was under the impression that was not on because both black and white cockatoos were protected being native and all

As far as I'm aware, cockatoos are protected in all states, although you could likely get a cull permit if they're a problem.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 13 Jul 2018, 6:01 pm

Thanks for the clarification most of the blokes round these parts shoot em anyways being a small country town
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 17 Aug 2018, 7:25 pm

I have partaken of Crimson Rosella, purely from a misunderstanding :shock:
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Aug 2018, 10:40 pm

What does cockatoo taste like ?????

Maybe a bit like a cross between Freckled Duck and Brolga ,,,,

:lol: :shock: :silent:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 24 Aug 2018, 6:52 am

Die Judicii wrote:What does cockatoo taste like ?????

Maybe a bit like a cross between Freckled Duck and Brolga ,,,,

:lol: :shock: :silent:

Nothing wrong with brolga :thumbsup:
Actually it was sarus but still good chewin.
Should also add it was provided by a murri elder :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 24 Aug 2018, 11:25 am

Farmerpete wrote:Sorry im new here but now im confused as a farmer i would love to shoot a few theyre eating my peanuts as we speak but i was under the impression that was not on because both black and white cockatoos were protected being native and all

They are protected but if you can prove they are causing damage to your business, you can apparently get a permit to cull within reason.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Aug 2018, 7:39 pm

You mean to say it's '' illegal'' to shoot cockatoo's :shock: :?
But I thought ''ill eagle'' was only a sick bird :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Gaznazdiak » 24 Aug 2018, 8:08 pm

I don't want to imagine what one tastes like, let alone two.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 24 Aug 2018, 8:21 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:I don't want to imagine what one tastes like, let alone two.

Reminds me of the bloke who walked in the bar & asked for a dozen double shots of Ardbeg Scotch Whisky...(a pretty ruff Scotch for the average punter).

The bartender lined them all up & the bloke slammed em all down, swishing & gargling each one like it was mouth wash...

The bartender asked him if he was celebrating something & the guy replied "yea, my first head job"...

The bartender said "congrats mate, let me shout you one"...

The guy ssid "nah dont bother, the last twelve didnt get tge taste outa my mouth so one more wont make any difference... :shock:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Aug 2018, 11:21 am

Stix wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:I don't want to imagine what one tastes like, let alone two.

Reminds me of the bloke who walked in the bar & asked for a dozen double shots of Ardbeg Scotch Whisky...(a pretty ruff Scotch for the average punter).

The bartender lined them all up & the bloke slammed em all down, swishing & gargling each one like it was mouth wash...

The bartender asked him if he was celebrating something & the guy replied "yea, my first head job"...

The bartender said "congrats mate, let me shout you one"...

The guy ssid "nah dont bother, the last twelve didnt get tge taste outa my mouth so one more wont make any difference... :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are a seriously disturbed individual.
I love it when I meet someone as twisted as me.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by black fox » 01 Sep 2018, 1:55 pm

My father ate pink and greys all his life ,he was born in 1904 , laws have changed over the years.he absolutely loved them to eat. I tried them ,but the meat was rubbery and grey looking and i did not like it at all.definately an aquired taste, my mother used to braise them .
black fox
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by justdave » 27 Mar 2021, 5:15 am

bigpete wrote:
Screenshot_2018-07-13-13-22-45.png
For example,this is from the SA DEW site

on a glance youd think the black fellahs eat anything that moves with enthusiasim.

As you get past Katherine they are pretty keen on feral cats even, but they seem to have some well defined preferences, (no dogs and humans hahaha).
honestly though parrots seem to be less liked.
id hazard a guess and even say some might be uninterested if you offered them a bunch or theyed unenthusiasticly accept them. but for any type of reptile they go nuts, turtle, lizards, snakes ect..
bush turkey, doves and geese they are very fond of too. but brulga or parrots for example several have told me thats a "less popular option" .. irbis too.. although that probably all changes by region. they seem to like the animals with fats or oils in the meat for the most part- like a magpie goose for example. parrots i dont have that much juicy fat on them i guess, ive eaten afew and different species taste very different, i think it also depends on what theyve been eating as cockatoos have a habit of bindge eating plentiful food stuffs till theyer exhausted, so if they got into something funky it might spoil them, i found them to be good enough to eat. better than some gamebirds they like in europe anyway. early settlers made them into pies and there is afew 1800s cookbooks with them being used.
justdave
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by NTSOG » 27 Mar 2021, 2:17 pm

G'day,

I understand plover were a popular game/eating bird some decades ago. Then there are snipe which I see around my front dam, though I believe they're protected now. As for shooting cockies [white] my neighbour shot a few that were into his oats a few years ago. The rest got the message.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 27 Mar 2021, 2:47 pm

Back in the Day Swan was the choice of bird for British Royalty .for Christmas dinner before Turkeys became plentiful. Apparently.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bill » 27 Mar 2021, 6:08 pm

Ive seen a Bustard taken on the run, apparently one of the better native birds to eat. Id have no problem eating a grain fed galah.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 27 Mar 2021, 6:38 pm

Bill wrote:Ive seen a Bustard taken on the run, apparently one of the better native birds to eat. Id have no problem eating a grain fed galah.

Ate a few of those when I was up North on the communities, one of their favorite bush tuckers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control