Eating wild rabbit

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Eating wild rabbit

Post by GLS_1956 » 11 Feb 2015, 8:47 am

Assuming no disease, the younger the rabbit the better.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by sally-bee » 12 Feb 2015, 9:35 am

Warrigul wrote:You should stop eating them straight away and send them to me for proper disposal. :twisted:

"proper disposal"

get_in_my_belly.gif
get_in_my_belly.gif (308.66 KiB) Viewed 7722 times
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Shadd » 25 Mar 2016, 1:11 am

O how I long for rabbit stew haven't had it in ages I know dad used soak it overnight with apples or something I'll have get the recipe off of him. Hey here a interesting fact rabbits have no nutritional value what so ever so eat them with other things stews casseroles what ever your fancy
Read it in al old British s.a.s book.
They let rabbits loose on an island for shipwrecked sailors and the like and the sailors would eat them but still die of starvation with a full belly.
'Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night and when you move,fall like the thunderbolt.' ~ Sun Tzu
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 25 Mar 2016, 11:16 am

Shadd wrote:O how I long for rabbit stew haven't had it in ages I know dad used soak it overnight with apples or something I'll have get the recipe off of him. Hey here a interesting fact rabbits have no nutritional value what so ever so eat them with other things stews casseroles what ever your fancy
Read it in al old British s.a.s book.
They let rabbits loose on an island for shipwrecked sailors and the like and the sailors would eat them but still die of starvation with a full belly.

I believe that. Rabbit flesh is lean, having little fat. Those sailors had protein but no fat for energy.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Mar 2016, 11:47 am

That rabbit has zero nutritional value.... is ridiculous. The meat has fat, protein, mineral etc.... its just leaner than most other meats, and has more or less the amount of protein.

The probably starved because that had to hunt and kill many rabbit to get their fill, or to spread the meat between the crew.
It was probably a case of eating rabbit only, nothing else to be found.... probably why pigs and goats were also release from ships.

Just as anything, your body need a variety of food sources as many foods, whether animal or vegetable might be healthy as a component in the diet, but on their own could cause issues due to either very high or very low quantities of certain compounds or minerals....

Give me rabbit any day (not every day though) :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Shadd » 25 Mar 2016, 12:26 pm

Hmm well it have some but we may use more nutrients digesting it then the rabbit is able to supply I dunno but if you can find the book
'The S.A.S survival handbook' by John Wiseman

You might have to really search for it but it's a hell of a read the author apparently was in the sas for 26 years tells you how to survive plane crashes and shipwrecks kinda like bear grylls but way before his show was even thought of tells how to make traps aswell but some can kill humans so they can't be left unattended what plants you can eat and which can kill you look for it if you can it's worth it.

Way more in depth to then the show.

Edit(did some reading):

Rabbit starvation, also referred to as protein poisoning or mal de caribou or fat starvation, is a rare form of acute malnutrition thought to be caused by a complete absence of dietary fat intake coupled with ad lib protein consumption.

Excess protein is sometimes cited as the cause of this issue; when meat and fat are consumed in the correct ratio, such as that found in pemmican, the diet is considered nutritionally complete, and can support humans for months or more. Other stressors, such as severe cold or dry environment, may intensify symptoms or decrease time to onset. Symptoms include diarrhea, headache, fatigue, low blood pressure and slow heart rate, and a vague discomfort and hunger (very similar to a food craving) that can be satisfied only by the consumption of fat.

Rabbit meat is very lean. Commercial rabbit meat has 50–100 g dissectable fat per 2 kg (live weight). Based on a carcass yield of 60%, rabbit meat is around 8.3% fat. [1] For comparison, in terms of carcass composition, beef is 32% fat, pork is 32%, and lamb is 28%. [2] Pemmican is 50% fat by weight.
'Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night and when you move,fall like the thunderbolt.' ~ Sun Tzu
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Mar 2016, 1:44 pm

SAS survival PDF from here:
http://filepi.com/i/pvzJGCU

It's zipped so get the unzipper here:
http://www.7-zip.org/

I dont think its a matter of lack of nutrients... I think its as with every food, on its own it doesnt provide sufficient levels of all necessary nutrients for the human metabolism....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Mar 2016, 1:46 pm

Eight and a half thousand Views???
Holy Rabbit poo batman.... that a lot of interest in Rabbit!!
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Shadd » 25 Mar 2016, 4:18 pm

Well a lot of people like rabbits :thumbsup:
That's the book haha didn't even think about looking online for it but oh well
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 25 Mar 2016, 6:33 pm

Watch out for Rabbit Fever. I know it's different there but we only eat them after a freeze and a snow. Other places you have to talk to the locals. I brought this up before but it sounds like it's not widespread in Oz.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Mar 2016, 6:57 pm

Title_II wrote:Watch out for Rabbit Fever. I know it's different there but we only eat them after a freeze and a snow. Other places you have to talk to the locals. I brought this up before but it sounds like it's not widespread in Oz.

sometimes I get rabbit fever.... when there are so many about and you cant reload fast enough :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 25 Mar 2016, 7:04 pm

That's the good kind :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by No1Mk3 » 25 Mar 2016, 9:55 pm

Above does not apply to Tree Rabbit, which has been covered in another post.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 25 Mar 2016, 10:37 pm

I dont eat the Bunnies I shoot , I leave that to feral and native predators the reason?, when I see them getting stuck into freshly sprayed (with herbicides and insecticides) pastures and eating their own s**t during the dry times it kinda puts me off. :lol:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Shadd » 26 Mar 2016, 12:16 am

Title_II wrote:Watch out for Rabbit Fever. I know it's different there but we only eat them after a freeze and a snow. Other places you have to talk to the locals. I brought this up before but it sounds like it's not widespread in Oz.

Never heard of rabbit fever might be a U.S/Europe only thing like rabies

Might you explain what the fever is/does?
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 26 Mar 2016, 4:45 am

Shadd wrote:

Never heard of rabbit fever might be a U.S/Europe only thing like rabies

Might you explain what the fever is/does?

It is in Australia, I think maybe mostly Taz? Not sure. Anyway, here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Mar 2016, 11:14 am

I wonder if I posted a video of a rabbit hunt and then of cleaning the rabbit, maybe this thread would get a few more hits??

Has anyone ever mounted a go-pro to a shotty?? :D

Easter rabbit hunt :unknown: :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 29 Mar 2016, 5:55 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Has anyone ever mounted a go-pro to a shotty?? :D

Yep!
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Title_II » 29 Mar 2016, 6:14 am

I know they used to teach catching, prepping, and eating rabbits in SERE school in the US. Surprised they would teach you to do something that would starve you.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 29 Mar 2016, 11:10 am

You only starve if rabbit meat is the single food source. The meat lacks fats, enzymes and amino acids humans need to survive in the long term and the human liver consumesmore energy to convert protien into usuable energy than it recovers. Over time you will starve. If you eat the head, gut and organs as well as the meat you won't starve. That's why wild animals take the time to eat the less pallatable parts.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Seconds » 31 Mar 2016, 10:12 am

Eat it for flavour, not for nutritional value.

Scavenge some potatoes as well :lol:
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jeff303 » 30 Jun 2017, 8:14 am

Fair bit oh hydatid up here in certain spots. Pretty hard to miss so i just turf em.
For gods sake dont eat hare. It was the strongest , richest thing ive ever had. Putrid.
Dad always said you have to jug them. Meaning you hang them till theyre just about rotten , then cook. Tasted like it.
Making my mouth water just thinking about it. & not the good way
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Jeff303 » 30 Jun 2017, 8:45 am

And a chronic case of lava arse afterwards to boot.
Ah, good times
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by John » 11 Apr 2020, 7:22 pm

If you soak them in a little water with a lemon cut up in it I’ve head that works really well I don’t mind the game taste my self so I don’t bother and you don’t notice it when casseroled down for a few hours with plenty of veggies and garlic salt pepper making me hungry thinking about it it’s starting to get in to that great time of year to enjoy a real hardy meal
I’ve all so had it many time crumbed and fried not bad at all if there’s young ones about
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private