Eating wild rabbit

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Eating wild rabbit

Post by Title_II » 29 Mar 2016, 6:14 am

I know they used to teach catching, prepping, and eating rabbits in SERE school in the US. Surprised they would teach you to do something that would starve you.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 29 Mar 2016, 11:10 am

You only starve if rabbit meat is the single food source. The meat lacks fats, enzymes and amino acids humans need to survive in the long term and the human liver consumesmore energy to convert protien into usuable energy than it recovers. Over time you will starve. If you eat the head, gut and organs as well as the meat you won't starve. That's why wild animals take the time to eat the less pallatable parts.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Seconds » 31 Mar 2016, 10:12 am

Eat it for flavour, not for nutritional value.

Scavenge some potatoes as well :lol:
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jeff303 » 30 Jun 2017, 8:14 am

Fair bit oh hydatid up here in certain spots. Pretty hard to miss so i just turf em.
For gods sake dont eat hare. It was the strongest , richest thing ive ever had. Putrid.
Dad always said you have to jug them. Meaning you hang them till theyre just about rotten , then cook. Tasted like it.
Making my mouth water just thinking about it. & not the good way
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Jeff303 » 30 Jun 2017, 8:45 am

And a chronic case of lava arse afterwards to boot.
Ah, good times
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by John » 11 Apr 2020, 7:22 pm

If you soak them in a little water with a lemon cut up in it I’ve head that works really well I don’t mind the game taste my self so I don’t bother and you don’t notice it when casseroled down for a few hours with plenty of veggies and garlic salt pepper making me hungry thinking about it it’s starting to get in to that great time of year to enjoy a real hardy meal
I’ve all so had it many time crumbed and fried not bad at all if there’s young ones about
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private