Eating wild rabbit

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Eating wild rabbit

Post by keen » 16 Feb 2014, 3:04 pm

Rumpig69 wrote:...you can slow cook it.

That's what I tell me partner about most stuff.

Even from the supermarket, as soon as something is 1 second past the expiry date she's worried she'll get sick :roll:

A few hours in the oven or over the fire and anything that was going to do you harm you is BBQ IMO.
Henry .22LR Lever Action
.308 Howa Sporter
keen
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by headspace » 21 Feb 2014, 7:00 pm

A baked rabbit is a little like eating an elastic band with a gamy flavour. However if you cram the body cavity with any herbs you can lay your hands on, wrap the whole thing in foil with plenty of Butter/ margarine rubbed over the carcase and SLOW cook it over coals it will be nice. My wife used to cook the rabbits I bought home in a stew called rabbit venison. There was no deer meat involved but the was a lot of onion sliced bacon and whatever herbs she would toss in as well as a some Worchester Sauce. It was low simmered and I can still taste it. I used a 12g then for rabbit shooting and we'd have a little competition about who had the most #4 pellets on the side of the plate at the end of the meal.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by teekay0 » 22 Feb 2014, 11:02 am

Hey guys,

Over the years i have eating my share of rabbits and about 3 hares , love rabbit !!! I have even had it off the menu in a fine Brissy south bank restaurant and in Italy too.

Look rabbits are fine weather there hunted by yourself or from some local Au butcher as long has its been prepare right! I came from the UK (just like the rabbits lol) and in UK they have been eating for 1000's yrs ......But remember a few tips , don't use a gut shot rabbit ,And you need to inspect the rabbit 1st, before thinking about taking it for the table . Check them and take care in gutting them !!!

Look at the eyes, make sure they are clear with no signs sickness . Then check the Liver for signs of spots, White or yellow and if you see anything you are just not sure Discard it. Because Rabbits carry a disease called Tularemia and it can harm and even kill you from breathing it in when gutting , I've read .

Also don't get any cross contamination of meat with the Gut .

Over 35 yrs ago , I started work in the Meat works , kill floors and boning room .

Bottom line is, whether you are butchering Cattle, Pigs, sheep, goats, deer,Birds or even the odd rabbit , care must be taken :)

So ghunther, if you haven't eaten a wild rabbit? just try it and even cook one up for your female friend :p

We all enjoy our hunting and eating game meat :)

cheers
tk0
God Forgives All Trespasses , I dont I shoot them

Tikka Super Varmint .260rem Sightron SIII 8-32x56 LRMD
Savage Axis Camo .243w Redfield 3-9x42 D.N.S
Boito O/U 12 Ga
BSA SuperSport XL .22 4x40 Nikko Stirling
Mossberg H V 22lr 3-9x40 Bushnell
teekay0
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Monty » 23 Feb 2014, 7:47 am

Game meats look to be making a bit of a comeback lately I reckon.

I notice a few butchers and restaurant selling more rabbits, some deer, goat etc. these days. A few doing Roo...

I guess this stuff is all "exotic" for average Joe shopper.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 26 Mar 2014, 7:15 am

Hennie Dreyer wrote:This discussion makes me remember the story told by one of our TV personalities some time ago: On this farm where hunting took place, the tracker (spoorsnyer) had the job of slaughtering the animal after the kill, and as an additional benefit may take the intestines etc for himself.

After observing the tracker for some time, he said to the tracker: "Jonas, I see you are even taking the 'asshole' of the antelope .... do you eat that too?"
Jonas's reply: "Whilst the antelope is living, you may call this the 'asshole'. But when it is dead....I call it meat" :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is loosely translated, as the discussion was held in a different language, but this made me laugh so much I nearly started crying!!!

I suppose....'each to his/her own' is the answer to the thread then......... :mrgreen:

Does this then mean that if K-RUDD died you'd eat him ???? :evil: :evil: :evil:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Wobble » 27 Mar 2014, 12:48 pm

Short of an "Alive" style plane crash with him in the Andes, I'm going to say no :lol:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by headspace » 29 Mar 2014, 10:25 pm

Westy wrote:Does this then mean that if K-RUDD died you'd eat him? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Hang on mate there's a bloody limit!
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by chilliman » 30 Mar 2014, 8:46 am

Member-Deleted wrote:I don't know if any of you blokes realize but there is a gland that you can cut out towards the ass that takes that sligh smell away.

here's a good wite up of fwesh wabbit pwepawation (channelling my inner Elmer Fudd)

=> http://www.thecookinginn.com/rabbit/rabbit.html
Mark

Gamo Hunter IGT .22
Weihrauch HW60J .22lr
223 + 308 5R's have arrived
Lee Enfield #4

get some
chilliman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Old Fart » 30 Mar 2014, 9:51 am

Wobble wrote:Short of an "Alive" style plane crash with him in the Andes, I'm going to say no :lol:

I think I'd prefer to try eating my own legs.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Combat_Wombat » 30 Mar 2014, 8:36 pm

One thing to remember with rabbit is to only eat them if it's a head shot because the lactic acid goes through them real quick of they are stressed and more or less ruins the meat
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusC » 31 Mar 2014, 1:08 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:How about hares ... Thats one i'v never bothered to eat. Anyone tried them ?

I haven't, but I imagine it would be much the same.

Same animal group, same diet, same environments... Not sure what would be different.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusC » 31 Mar 2014, 1:08 pm

If I have the opportunity to try one I'll report back :D
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Atter » 31 Mar 2014, 1:10 pm

Looks like the French are doing it at least.

Hare and wine stew recipe
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hatter » 31 Mar 2014, 1:11 pm

Not sure that's a positive vote with their snails and frogs legs :lol:
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by lole » 31 Mar 2014, 1:13 pm

Frogs legs are all right.

They taste like chicken, right Lorgar?

:P :lol:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 31 Mar 2014, 1:14 pm

Shut your chicken hole :P
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 19 Jul 2014, 10:43 am

Growing up with a dad who went rabbit shooting just about every weekend meant that not only did all the animals at our house eat rabbit, but us humans as well.
I've had rabbit cooked probably a thousand different ways, and although I couldn't even consider it now, it did us just fine. We had steaks, casseroles, BBQ ribs, minced rabbit, rabbit pies, rabbit taco's, rabbit stew etc etc
You name it, mum cooked it.
These days I can't even look at rabbit meat, but only because my family overdosed us on it in our early years!

I've never eaten hare cos my dad never shot them. Actually, that's wrong. He took me shooting when i was about 12 and we were driving the back roads around Lindenow South. He shot two out the window of the car before I told him I'd stop the car and walk home if he did it again. I was deaf for a couple of days after that.
I don't remember what he did with the hares, but I know we didn't eat them.

To mix things up a bit is our diet, he'd go roo shooting and we'd have roo steaks cooked on the BBQ. Absolutely delicious!
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 19 Jul 2014, 1:53 pm

Lorgar wrote:Shut your chicken hole :P

still got that chicken fetish going :lol: :lol:

ive heard that they call rabbits ,,,underground chicken :lol: :lol: :twisted:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Jul 2014, 2:12 pm

I just cut my rabbits up into KFC type pieces, soak them in some water with vinegar to get the gammy taste out of them, I then soak them in milk overnight then just crumb them, fry them off to get them brown and then whack em in the over in a gravy type thing for about an hour, they usually come out super tender and taste very similar to chicken when done that way.

There's never any leftover so they must be good :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by creet » 20 Jul 2014, 7:00 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I then soak them in milk overnight then just crumb them

Milk looks like the secret ingredient.

See that in a lot of cooking shows when they're cooking organs to get the nasty smell out of 'em.
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50mm
creet
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 20 Jul 2014, 7:00 pm

tom604 wrote:ive heard that they call rabbits ,,,underground chicken :lol: :lol: :twisted:

I'm not rising to the bait of you jokers any more :P
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Jul 2014, 7:40 pm

creet wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I then soak them in milk overnight then just crumb them

Milk looks like the secret ingredient.

See that in a lot of cooking shows when they're cooking organs to get the nasty smell out of 'em.

Yep I don't know if its a secret ingredient or not but that's the way I've always done them, I do the blackfish fillets in milk to to help get rid of the weedy taste.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Noisydad » 21 Jul 2014, 1:25 pm

Lorgar wrote:
tom604 wrote:ive heard that they call rabbits ,,,underground chicken :lol: :lol: :twisted:

To use the common teenage vanacular "OWNED"! :-)
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 21 Jul 2014, 1:25 pm

Lorgar wrote:

To use the common teenage vanacular "OWNED"! :-)
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 21 Jul 2014, 2:04 pm

Lorgar wrote:

why not ???

chicken? :D :D :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 22 Jul 2014, 10:25 pm

Nope. Pretty sure I'd taste very different :P
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wilso1994 » 22 Jul 2014, 11:48 pm

tom604 wrote:
Lorgar wrote:Shut your chicken hole :P

still got that chicken fetish going :lol: :lol:

ive heard that they call rabbits ,,,underground chicken :lol: :lol: :twisted:

I believe the term is "underground mutton" :P I'm 20 now and I have been eating rabbits since... I really can't remember lol a long time ago. Soak them in skim milk for stews and such, if you are looking at a baked bunny you want to get a 25lt bucket with a lid (must have a lid for this with the milk it doesn't matter) add 20ltrs of cold water a pinch of salt and about a tbl spoon of white vinegar, then add either worstershire sauce or relish to the mix. If you like the sauce add a fair bit. Soak it for a day with the bucket in the fridge. Bake wrapped in foil with lots of thyme garlic rosemary and some lemon grass stuffed inside it, use like a lot of butter on the inside and out. Bake until the juices run clear. With a stew just use a slow cooker to cook the meat, use veg stock and water to do this. Remove the bones when they practically fall out of the meat. Add fresh chopped carrots and beans, two tablespoons of home brand gravy powder a chopped onion 2 cloves of garlic and mashed potato. I'm no chef but I love food ;) rabbit especially :P and to go with this if a rabbit has gummy eyes, fur falling out or just looks scabby, leave it. Not worth the risk. We don't get spotty rabbits here but I always check the liver like the bloke from the uk said to do.
Howa 1500 SS .223, Lithgow 12 .22, Stirling .22 Hornet
Wilso1994
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Josh Smith » 23 Jul 2014, 2:26 am

Hello,

Rabbit is a fine dish.

A lot of gamey taste in wild critters of any sort comes from the heat being trapped. Field dressing is not enough; the fur holds in an incredible amount of heat.

The best way to fix this is to gut, skin, and quarter in the field, then throw them on ice.

Soaking in salt water over night is then not necessary, but can be done if you wish.

A thorough cooking should kill all parasites and bacteria. Don't eat bunny raw, of course, or you could indeed get sick.

Just a couple things I've learned from being a small game hunter for half my life, and fisherman for literally all my life. The above works well on fish, too.

Regards,

Josh
Josh Smith
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by AusC » 23 Jul 2014, 2:48 pm

Josh Smith wrote:A thorough cooking should kill all parasites and bacteria. Don't eat bunny raw, of course, or you could indeed get sick.

Fair to say that for anything shot in the wild IMO.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 28 Jul 2014, 12:47 pm

I used to have a pie heater fitted to the exhaust manifold of my XE falcon work van, a rabbit shot on the way to work (always had the 10/22 behind the seat)cut into pieces and thrown into foil with butter, and KFC seasoning(thanks little brother) was lunch 300 kilometers later.

Had to roll the foil water tight otherwise it dried out too much.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control