A few less ferals

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: A few less ferals

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Nov 2019, 11:52 am

Wo hooo. Kicking more goals. Well done.

Good job.gif
Good job.gif (564.78 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Dec 2019, 3:19 pm

Any chance of you listing a few tips or how you go about it? Very few dogs down my way but looks like i just found a couple. Bit of sign about.
Do you, ambush them, call, bait?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Dec 2019, 4:43 pm

What ever it takes to get them OB what sort of sign mate prints ,scat, if that's all you've got they can take some nailing down as they're probably on the move in that case i'd set a camera up and find out how regular they are and work from there if they have killed then i'd sit on the carcass a few times usually that works if they move to the scrub try calling they may come to you but don't let them see or smell you where I am I wait for a paddock to be cut and sit and wait for the dogs late afternoon or early morning in cattle I usually am going to a property that has a problem with dogs and their where a bout's is known to hunt wild dog by just going to a property without knowing if there are dogs there is difficult as there may not be any there so it's best to frequent places where they are so if you've only got track and scat then i'd do as I said with the cameras and maybe shoot a roo and leave a bait near the camera it may take several days or a week to establish the movements of the dog then maybe sit and wait for him but be quiet and as invisible as possible be aware they will come the least expected direction most times so sit so as you can move without being seen wild dogs are a creature of habit until they suspect or work out they are being followed or chased then they become unpredictable this is where years of chasing them kicks in because they still have their little traits that will be their downfall I find if I see a dog and it see's me but I don't spook it it will go down wind to try and pick up my scent so I position myself so when it appears from that direction i'm onto them instant I've found very few dogs see you and keep going rather than come round behind you some people may differ with that but in fact they just may not see the dog or don't know what to look for if you're trying to close distance on a dog don't make fast movements or move fast and don't take your eyes of them because you can read a dog when it's getting edgy so then sit where it can't see you always keeping your eyes on them at this stage you could try calling or I use a dentist mirror 1'' and give them a few flicks then stop I think this brings the inquisitive streak out in them but if he spots you after that your bullet won't be fast enough to catch him he will spook I've gone back trapping again on places that the farmer has let others on and the dogs are over the top edgy just can't get a shot away but the traps are finding them with good results so he's keeping all others out till we clean it up a bit I give trapping away for awhile as you have to be 24/7 with them if you leave dogs in the trap too long it'll spook the rest too much so OB I probably didn't explain it but there is no quick answer on catching or shooting wild dogs everything works in it's own way it depends on whether the dog has been chased before ,shot at before , many things can alter the hunt but if I was just chasing the odd one i'd stick to calling, sitting on baits, use the info from the farmer to where the dogs have been seen regular and what time of the day then sit and wait early morning and late afternoon mate hope you can make something from this or maybe a call and have a yarn cheer
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 17 Dec 2019, 6:23 pm

GDB thanks for taking the time. Interesting reading.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Dec 2019, 6:59 pm

Thanks GDB, lot of info there.

The sign is only prints at a dam. But I found them about 2 weeks apart at the same dam. (fairly fresh) Haven't really had a good scout around yet. Its in state forest not farm land & way too far away from town to just be someone walking a dog. So Im betting runaways. Bit of traffic around so I expect them to be very switched on.
Big prints too. May be german shepard size.
Its not an area known for dogs. Ill be there in a couple of weeks again so will have a few days to a week to do some more scouting and look at ambushing them over a bait perhaps at the dam.
My cheapo trail camera died so might invest in another. Been sweating on Aldi. LOL

How do you usually call them? Howl, whistles?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 17 Dec 2019, 7:23 pm

Blr243 wrote:GDB thanks for taking the time. Interesting reading.

I will second that. Be really nice with some commas and full stops though. ;)
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Dec 2019, 8:02 pm

Howl OB I have heard of blokes using a injured rabbit caller but took forever to bring them close if you've seen tracks on various occasions then it most likely will be its watering hole so with a camera and a bit of bait you should turn up something in a short time with the dry and all when putting a bait down try not to touch it with bare hands or walk around bare foot near the bait I to put boots on when laying baits and traps other than that i'm bare foot don't think a dog will drop its guard after coming the first time it will be edgy for a few goes but if you're on the ball you will get him first up just don't let it wind you or see you because it may not come back it'll go to an alternative watering hole ,what I do is shoot a bait take it 100yds away up wind open it up then drag it back to the watering hole this will decide the most likely way the dog will come in as it will follow the scent trail but I have had the odd dog come in on floating scent in the breeze from a different direction so be aware of that and be prepared for that when you bed down make sure you are concealed all round you then the old ''Patience is a doggers friend'' Boredom is a doggers friend although if you know dogs are in the area you won't get bored if dogging is for you
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 18 Dec 2019, 9:33 am

Hay, OB a mate of mine has downloaded a few MP3 calls to his mobile phone and got a external speaker from JB HIFi and uses that.

The free calls can be got of the net or check out FoxPro site.
Good hunting....
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Dec 2019, 9:43 am

Good advice always comes from GDB

A couple of points he taught me, but missed saying this time are,,,

1) if at all possible drive (4x4 or ute or quad) to the drop off point with a bait carcass rather than walking and leaving your scent.

2) if you have to walk, wipe the soles of your boots with a rag dampened with diesel just before.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Dec 2019, 11:45 am

Die Judicii wrote:Good advice always comes from GDB

A couple of points he taught me, but missed saying this time are,,,

1) if at all possible drive (4x4 or ute or quad) to the drop off point with a bait carcass rather than walking and leaving your scent.

2) if you have to walk, wipe the soles of your boots with a rag dampened with diesel just before.

Yeh, i was thinking of dragging the bait by the ute for a few hundred yards. Im limited on bait as its state forest, probably rabbit or road kill. So may need to wire it to tree.

Diesel seems odd? What about stepping in roo s**t or eucalyptus spray?

Need to scout a bit more but limited info indicates a regular visitor to a particular dam.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Dec 2019, 11:54 am

They don't seem to be perturbed at all by the scent of diesel.

Also,,, the more scouting around you do, the more scent you leave, plus they don't take kindly to lots of traffic ie: yourself walking back and forth.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Dec 2019, 12:08 pm

Die Judicii wrote:They don't seem to be perturbed at all by the scent of diesel. Mmmmmm OK

Also,,, the more scouting around you do, the more scent you leave, plus they don't take kindly to lots of traffic ie: yourself walking back and forth.
That makes it challenging.

Might drop into jbhifi, see about a speaker. Was thinking about it anyway.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 18 Dec 2019, 2:47 pm

Old bloke I got a good tip for u regarding speakers. Originally I purchased a round one about the size of an orange for home or jobsite use. It makes sense to have it pumping out noise in all directions. But for specifically hunting I bought a different shape from jb hifi. I wanted something that would sit flat in My mini back back ( large camel back type thingy) so it would be comfortable when carrying I also wanted it to sit flat in a pocket. So I bought one that’s shaped like a pack of cigarettes If you are holding your phone in your hand to operate sounds on an app it will Bluetooth directly to the speaker that’s in your pocket thus being simple to operate and minimise hand movements.....there have been times when calling pigs real close I have not had a chance to use the external speaker and just the volume on the phone was heaps but calling dogs way off I know my phone on its own won’t cut it.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Dec 2019, 5:22 pm

OK, to sum up in point form.

- PATIENCE
- Drag baits to lay a scent trail
- Watch wind and movement.
-Ambush using baits and at water points
- Use gloves to handle baits, dead animals, dog s**t, or piss, cans of tuna
- Howling better than whistles, moans, barks, howls, snuffs
- Breeding April to May. (Best for howling)
- Diesel on shoe soles to cover scent?
- 22 hornet minimum. 223 and up. 12g 2s to SSGs?
- Too much activity makes them skitish.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 20 Dec 2019, 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Dec 2019, 6:30 pm

OB I wouldn't use eucalyptus oil its too strong dogs don't like it you can use a branch from the tree but not the straight oil I use a hessian bag sprayed with diesel and wipe my feet on it then fold it up and throw it in the back had it for many years
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Dec 2019, 7:31 pm

Deleted eucalyptus
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Dec 2019, 8:48 pm

Yep but you forgot ''PATIENCE'' big contribute to dog hunting :thumbsup: :lol: :clap:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Dec 2019, 10:13 pm

Good luck OB hope it goes well for you after all this mate
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Dec 2019, 7:23 am

Ill be in the area in about a week. Will have a crack then. But there are fires there now.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Dec 2019, 11:20 am

Oldbloke wrote:Ill be in the area in about a week. Will have a crack then. But there are fires there now.

Your at the good time of the year,,,,,,,,,, (summer)
And as GDB said,,,,, patience,,,,, patience,,,,,,,patience,,,,,

Try it in the middle of winter when the temp gets below zero, especially just before dawn when you've already been sitting almost motionless
for the last 8 or 9 hours.

At least in summer your main need down there would be mosquito netting. :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 21 Dec 2019, 12:29 pm

a lot of what you guys are talking about can be transferable to hunting other animals :thumbsup:
this is the sort of thing you dont get from the magazines :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 21 Dec 2019, 1:38 pm

I prefer the cold to the hot. Always easier to keep warm in the Aussie temps than cool. The direct sunlight just burns. I think it is a much prettier time in the bush as well.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Dec 2019, 2:55 pm

"in summer your main need down there would be mosquito netting. "

I use that all the time now.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Dec 2019, 10:12 pm

I've found in summer when the grass is almost nil and dry the dry ground gets a dead smell about it the dogs tend to rely on sight and scent in the wind but in the good months where grass and weeds are plenty and green then when you walk through it it sends out its own aromas and a dog or animal for that matter will pick up on these aromas and know there is something moving around and will become alert making it difficult to creep up on them some people think the animal has seen them or heard them when it's the aromas of freshly crushed grass and weeds or as simple as breaking of a twig so as to see better, lantana is a dead give away when brushed against it emits a strong odour when crushed or brushed so just something to think about this is why sitting in ambush is to me the best it gives the smells time to settle and return to normal
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 21 Dec 2019, 10:40 pm

sungazer wrote:I prefer the cold to the hot. Always easier to keep warm in the Aussie temps than cool. The direct sunlight just burns. I think it is a much prettier time in the bush as well.

Smells/odours hang around close to the ground stronger & for longer in heavy cold moist air...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Dec 2019, 10:57 pm

Yeah Stix sounds like an eskimo brothel hey
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Dec 2019, 5:34 am

I read somewhere that direct UV kills smell.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Dec 2019, 11:08 am

Yeah well ya got me there OB but a dead roo on the side of the road still stinks bad to me :thumbsup: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Dec 2019, 1:14 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I read somewhere that direct UV kills smell.

GDB, to clarify. When we or animals walk around our feet leave some scent. I read that after say,, 2 or 3 hours the sunshine eliminates/reduces the scent.

Hanging clothes in sunshine same.

I think the theory is, and its well known UV kills bacteria. Bacteria are the main sources of odour.

A dead roo would be genersting far more bacteria than the sunshine would be killing. And most of the bacteria would be out of the sunsine, protected.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Dec 2019, 1:25 pm

Yeah OB the fresher the scent the better it is to pick up and most likely the sun would break it down then on another side the hotter the day the more odour the body emits and I see what you are saying about the roo :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control