A few less ferals

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: A few less ferals

Post by Blr243 » 22 Dec 2019, 6:00 pm

My night clothes (black shorts and T-shirt’s)get a bit skanky stinky and feral after a few days hunting . I remember one night somehow being in the wrong position in a paddock in relation to the wind and eventually I got into a favourable wind position and made a successful stalk .. I was extremely surprised that they did not wind me in the process The only thing I could put it down to is that it was cold and I was that night well covered in fresh clean clothes that must have contained enough of my scent to keep me unoticed..... so it pays to stay clean
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Dec 2019, 7:55 pm

Yeah OB the fresher the scent the better it is to pick up and most likely the sun would break it down then on another side the hotter the day the more odour the body emits and I see what you are saying about the roo :thumbsup:

Are we in fact opening up new ground in a yet to be fully explored new science ????????
:lol: :lol: :lol:

On that note,,,, I think I'd better get back to living again, and head out bush.
Haven't been out for a month now,,,, although every day lately is stinking hot, and the constant smoke haze is akin to a battle field. :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jan 2020, 8:06 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Haven't been out for a month now,,,, although every day lately is stinking hot, and the constant smoke haze is akin to a battle field. :thumbsdown:

Due to a family illness I have not been out yet. Dont expect to for at least a few weeks either.

Has anyone else been out?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jan 2020, 5:27 am

I had a plan to be slack over the hot period , forget the major pig trips and just do a day or two dingo hunting close to home but I’m so glad I changed my mind. The heat has not at all been a killer. Mostly I was too lazy to set up up my air con but today I did. And tomorrow is my last day so I might as well use it seeing it’s set up at the entrance to my tent. To hell with the heat I’ll b back out here end Of January when we have a really dark week with no moon .... this trip has been my most successful for a bloody long time.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ricochet » 02 Jan 2020, 8:09 am

Its more known in the bow hunting world but some gear lncluding boots have some sort of silver nitrate treatment permeated through some of the materials as an anti-bacterial agent to eliminate smells, there are anti smell detergents that also have no phosphates in them to reduce the glow reportedly seen by some animals too.
But as far as scent trails go we shed skin particles all the time, if we could visualise smell, just picture one of those hippy images of auras were there are bands of colour radiating outwards from the human form, its sort if like that, and picture the color being left behind you floating in the air as you walk, on the ground and on everything you touch. These clouds of particles we leave behind us are slowly dissipated by wind and killed off by sunlight, this is what spooks animals and what tracker fogs follow hunting down your deer for you or what a police dog follows from the scene if a crime.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jan 2020, 8:23 am

Yep, about the best we can do is reduce or partly mask our scent. So still rely on the wind.

Here is an old thread.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1598
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Jan 2020, 11:41 am

Yes RICOCHET, spot on...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2020, 9:14 pm

An article perhaps worth reading on howling.

http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/in-au ... %20success
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 06 Oct 2020, 8:58 am

Thanks Oldbloke. That was an interesting read :) :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 23 Oct 2020, 9:04 pm

First run for awhile :thumbsup:
Attachments
dogs.gif
dogs.gif (280.52 KiB) Viewed 6237 times
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Oct 2020, 9:07 pm

Well Done. How did u get them?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 24 Oct 2020, 1:55 am

Yeah OB the farmer saw them earlier in the week so he came and saw me to have a look , so i drove out and sat on one of the tracks they were using the most and they came along after awhile looking for the bait i dragged around then picked it up and sat not far from where i had stopped dragging it it's dry up here so it left a good scent
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 24 Oct 2020, 2:45 pm

Sorry Oldbloke, but I disagree with you there. The greatest invention in history is Whiskey; 'cause it stopped the Irish from taking over the world, or so the story goes.... :D
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Oct 2020, 2:56 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Sorry Oldbloke, but I disagree with you there. The greatest invention in history is Whiskey; 'cause it stopped the Irish from taking over the world, or so the story goes.... :D

The wheel was invented in order to carry the barley and the hops to the brewery and then the finished ale to the local inn
:allegedly:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 24 Oct 2020, 3:37 pm

who was the OP? member deleted?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Oct 2020, 4:45 pm

GDB,

When you drag a bait, do you do it on foot? Don't they smell you?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 24 Oct 2020, 7:21 pm

Nah OB i drag it with a piece of wire about 10ft long with the ute with a piece of light rope tied to the bait as well so i can climb from my cab up into the tray and pull the bait into the tray without touching the ground, although years ago i used to just hop out and throw the bait into the tray and it done alright but they're getting very shy of late so i climb over and pull it in then climb back and go away a little and sit , and again i always carry a rag with diesel on it to help hide any other scents that might be around , up here and around farms dogs tend to associate diesel smell with food spooked out from harvesters so they don't sense any immediate danger
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 25 Oct 2020, 9:58 am

its good to see your getting out Grandad :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 25 Oct 2020, 1:24 pm

I’m a bit late to this party but I read some of the old posts about taking meat from a property. I can only comment on Qld as that is the Meat Act that I was qualified under . According to the Act meat processed from livestock cannot leave the property and the farmer cannot use it for the purpose of making money , ie selling it or giving it to paying guests.
The meat from wild animals can be taken from the property but cannot be sold. By definition you can shoot a rabbit or pig and take it home. The farmer cannot sell it to you.
Wild cattle are a bit of a grey area. The definition mentions been “confined” . My understanding is that cleanskin feral cattle have lost their stock classification and are classed as feral.
Taking meat from feral cattle for personal use is never going to get you in trouble with the Act. The individual property may say you can’t take it, and that’s their prerogative but It’s never going to be a legal issue. Neither will a farmer giving a mate or visitor some of his steak to try, or a leg of lamb to his brother from the city. That wasn’t the intention of the act and no-one will chase you for it unless you piss them off for some other reason. In my day in the DPI lots of meat went home . The original act in the 80,s and 90’s only had an issue with the sale of meat for the reason of discouraging the larger wholesale movement of un-inspected meat.
Deano
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Oct 2020, 7:32 pm

Yeah marksman it's bloody good to be out mate the last year or so has been a bugga but we seem to be on top of it now , yeah we must be i've just started making a new tray for the hilux at the moment it has a weld side tray and ya can't put much in it so going bigger with the flat top , should fix it i reckon , how's things been your end ? Ok i hope.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 25 Oct 2020, 8:51 pm

yea things are on the improve Grandad, the wife sneaked into Melbourne the other day to see her mom and grandmother ;)
l've been telling her to just go for a while but she is a good person who does not like to bend or break the rules, on her way back through the checkpoint she reckons she was nearly wetting herself and they waved her through so no fine :lol: no graft for Dan :lol:
l have been getting out for a while mainly on the bunnies and roos but took some sausage's down the ottways to a farmer and did a bit of a hunt where l saw 4 fallow, l didn't shoot any because the buck had no headgear and the does looked preggers, its a good thing to get out of the city and into the bush
l love it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 25 Oct 2020, 9:09 pm

Gees you blokes talkin like that...gettin my finger all fidgity...!!
Im gonna get out this coming week too i think...s**ty weather, but i wana see how many little red pups are gettin about & get on sniping a few bunny's...mite test me though with this s**ty weather there will be some wind...
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Oct 2020, 9:36 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:Yeah marksman it's bloody good to be out mate the last year or so has been a bugga but we seem to be on top of it now , yeah we must be i've just started making a new tray for the hilux at the moment it has a weld side tray and ya can't put much in it so going bigger with the flat top , should fix it i reckon , how's things been your end ? Ok i hope.

Bloody hell GDB,,, when you finish making the new tray for the ute,,,,,,,,, Are you gonna paint it like the old one,,,,, so it looks like it covered in dried blood ?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 25 Oct 2020, 10:34 pm

only thing I shot today was some mistletoe branches off the whitegum trees cos sick of them dying hand over fist from the scourge.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Grandadbushy » 26 Oct 2020, 7:52 am

No DJ i'm gonna paint it pretty white and try and match 17yrs of faded white , yes the old tray has had it's share of blood in it probably that's why it's got so much rust inside as there's no rust in the car itself, and how've you been hope all's good and are you getting any shooting time in lately? I'll start moving around more now i've caught up on things, bloody hard when the legs can't follow the body, lol Nah all's good just need 20yrs of my youth back that's all.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Oct 2020, 12:36 pm

Yeah Mate,,, I've been out and about, shot half a doz foxes, and that's about it.
Even the pigs have still kept quiet
I'm guilty of maybe doing my job too well, cos on the main property he hasn't lost a sheep to dogs now for over 7 months, and that includes this years lambing season that has come and gone with zero dog attacks.
He did say, in jest that maybe I'd better get some from Fraser Island to import so I'd have something to shoot. :D
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 26 Oct 2020, 1:15 pm

Yeah DJ that's what happens when you do a good job same up here i just rely on farmers ringing me because there's not much around at present , but can't whinge it gives me time to catch up with things :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Mar 2021, 9:51 am

A short article about dingos.

Resized_20210304_100415.jpeg
Resized_20210304_100415.jpeg (245.41 KiB) Viewed 5592 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 05 Mar 2021, 2:30 pm

good read thanks for posting
wrenchman