Snake Report

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Snake Report

Post by winton » 19 Jan 2019, 10:06 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:I've had Tigers come into the house, o
:drinks:


How they getting in the house Gaznazdiak?

You got a leak or something?
winton
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 130
Victoria

Re: Snake Report

Post by Gaznazdiak » 19 Jan 2019, 10:44 pm

winton wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:I've had Tigers come into the house, o
:drinks:


How they getting in the house Gaznazdiak?

You got a leak or something?



:lol:
Had a leaky orifice dealing with the bugger.
It was an old country house with a doggy door for the 4 legged children.
For some reason that side of the property is very popular with the Tigers. There's a wetland nearby, all reedy and damp.
I live about 10kms away now on the other side of the place, no wetlands and no Tigers. Lots of Eastern Browns and the occasional Red Belly.
They make much better neighbours
fideles usque ad mortem
User avatar
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1973
New South Wales

Re: Snake Report

Post by Jäger » 21 Jan 2019, 3:06 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:I've had Tigers come into the house, one even chased my Mum onto the kitchen table many years ago, but I've never had one in the sack with me, that's getting just a bit too close to nature :D
:drinks:


Surely you're kidding.
Did she smack it on the head to make it angry enough to chase her?

Tiger Snakes are pretty placid unless you do some bad s**t to them.
(edit: what's with the language filter?)

Gaznazdiak wrote:I live about 10kms away now on the other side of the place, no wetlands and no Tigers. Lots of Eastern Browns and the occasional Red Belly.
They make much better neighbours


The Reds yes. They'll take care of other snakes for you.
The Eastern Brown?
You're better off with the docile Tiger Snake than the more aggressive Eastern Brown.
The Tigers will even fake bite first as a warning (i.e. not envenomate).
They don't want confrontation.

Eastern Brown's are moody (and quick).
User avatar
Jäger
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 77
-

Re: Snake Report

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Jan 2019, 4:17 pm

G'day Jager,

I don't know where there are these "placid" Tigers of which you speak. All my Mum did was open the fridge, heard the rustling on the lino and knew from experience it wasn't a mouse.
She said it came out with its neck flared, and reared straight up into the strike pose.

If Tigers had hollow, penetrative fangs like a Brown, rather than grooved scratching fangs, they would have claimed me 3 times. Their prevalence and aggression was such that I took to wearing Carhartt heavy canvas overalls, and those in combination with my jeans were enough to prevent anything more happening when they struck than an unplanned bowel movement.

As for the the Browns, far better neighbours, they rarely come near the house, and those that I have caught trespassing have been far more focused on a rapid exit than attack.
One had a toad in her gob and couldn't get back through the fence, she'd have a try, move along, look at me, have another try, look at me etc, so I opened the gap a little to let her settle and she found the gap under the gate and was gone, complete with the take away dinner.
fideles usque ad mortem
User avatar
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1973
New South Wales

Re: Snake Report

Post by Jäger » 21 Jan 2019, 4:23 pm

Nah, you're wrong about Tiger Snakes. I do know what I'm talking about.
They are virtually blind and deaf, do not want confrontation, will leave rather than fight, will give false first strikes as a warning etc.
But, don't take my word for it, do your own research.
you are mis-categorizing them though. :drinks:
User avatar
Jäger
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 77
-

Re: Snake Report

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Jan 2019, 4:44 pm

Jäger wrote:Nah, you're wrong about Tiger Snakes. I do know what I'm talking about.
They are virtually blind and deaf, do not want confrontation, will leave rather than fight, will give false first strikes as a warning etc.
But, don't take my word for it, do your own research.
you are mis-categorizing them though. :drinks:


My experience is from living surrounded by them for 13 yrs Jager, not looking them up from afar on Wiki.
My experience includes losing several dogs to them, one of whom was chained. Being struck 3 times by snakes I had neither seen nor stepped on.
Of finding them in the kitchen, the bathroom, my bedroom, the lounge room and at least half a dozen times under my car.

You may well have a different experience of them and have formed your opinion from that, if so I think you may be thinking of another snake.
fideles usque ad mortem
User avatar
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1973
New South Wales

Re: Snake Report

Post by Rod_outbak » 21 Jan 2019, 5:27 pm

Met one of my 4-legged snakes when I was walking around to the kitchen for lunch today.

It seems our local Sparrow Control officer was taking a bit of a time-out...

Never seen a lizard that birds DETEST so violently as these guys.
[I suppose if you like omelettes for lunch, egg-producers are going to hate you for it...]

Black-Headed Goanna (Varanus tristis); about 3/4 grown, and apparently completely oblivious to gravity!


Incidentally; snakes are all deaf, and I'm pretty sure that all of the elapids have pretty sharp eyesight.
A lot of the pythons have heat-sensing in addition to their eyesight, but I dont think the heat sensing occurs outside the pythons.
As far as I know, most snakes have a pretty good sense of taste/smell.

A lot of the bitey snake incursions we get here (mostly King Brown/Mulga snakes, though a few Collets and a few Speckled Browns); it isnt a case that they accidentally entered our house (usually chasing mice). It's more a case that they just dont see us as of concern to where they want to go.
[Might be because they know that are a mobile euthanasia clinic...]

Cheers,

Rod.
Attachments
20190121_123741 (2).JPG
20190121_123741 (2).JPG (568.65 KiB) Viewed 409 times
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 594
Queensland

Re: Snake Report

Post by Ziad » 21 Jan 2019, 10:46 pm

Lol you ask 5 pol about snakes you get 5 different answers. I heard brown snakes usually try and run away. The red belly black though very poisonous usually keep to themselves but are good as they are very territorial and will kill other snakes that enter their territory.

Tigers are aggressive but mainly in the breeding season, when they are on the lookout for a female.
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 1128
Victoria

Re: Snake Report

Post by grandadbushy » 22 Jan 2019, 4:00 pm

The big browns kill and eat other snakes as well and actually is part of their diet I've seen browns chase people and also seen them as docile as
could be it all depends when you encounter them summer can be different to winter and the mating season is usually when the become protective
and potentially dangerous
I find it very dangerous to say that a species is docile or relatively quiet because it can give people a false sense of safety around them if they appear
on their property
We deal with Browns Death Adders Taipans plus many more around here and I've seen all of them in a docile state and in an aggressive state
yet most times all will try to avoid you but not always and that's the problem you can't say one is docile or one is savage by breed they should always
be treated as dangerous and stay away from them no sudden moves and back off
To walk onto and frighten a Taipan would be like walking onto a savage dog most likely it would bite you several time but the majority of times it will feel
you coming and move away from you but not in mating season they move away less so you don't know whether it will strike or not
My theory is they are venomous stay away leave them alone unless you know how to handle them properly
grandadbushy
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1788
Queensland

Re: Snake Report

Post by Gaznazdiak » 22 Jan 2019, 5:57 pm

Good advice GB, treat them like firearms mate, loaded until you have eyeballed otherwise. :thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
User avatar
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1973
New South Wales

Re: Snake Report

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jan 2019, 8:37 pm

snake[1].jpg
snake[1].jpg (102.42 KiB) Viewed 340 times
I'll just leave this one "hanging" around.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
User avatar
Die Judicii
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2294
Queensland

Re: Snake Report

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2019, 10:45 pm

A lady up the road had to deal with a couple of tiger snakes in her shed today, bloody things are everywhere at the moment, they've had a few copperheads too up that way (so long as they all stay up that end of the street I'm happy) :D
User avatar
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5740
-

Re: Snake Report

Post by Daddybang » 24 Jan 2019, 8:29 am

I've put this photo up on another thread but I it's one of my favorite personal snake photos showing a fairly average Amethystine or Cape York scrubbie. :thumbsup: :drinks:

1548282468952-2043198165.jpg
1548282468952-2043198165.jpg (790.89 KiB) Viewed 322 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2781
Queensland

Re: Snake Report

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Jan 2019, 9:34 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
Jäger wrote:Nah, you're wrong about Tiger Snakes. I do know what I'm talking about.
They are virtually blind and deaf, do not want confrontation, will leave rather than fight, will give false first strikes as a warning etc.
But, don't take my word for it, do your own research.
you are mis-categorizing them though. :drinks:


My experience is from living surrounded by them for 13 yrs Jager, not looking them up from afar on Wiki.
My experience includes losing several dogs to them, one of whom was chained. Being struck 3 times by snakes I had neither seen nor stepped on.
Of finding them in the kitchen, the bathroom, my bedroom, the lounge room and at least half a dozen times under my car.

You may well have a different experience of them and have formed your opinion from that, if so I think you may be thinking of another snake.


Spot on GazNaz old Mate.
I lived for 52 years in South East of South Australia, and also lost 3 dogs to those mongrel tigers.

I think Jager's definition of placid or docile means,,,,,,,,

Tigers will not usually flee, but rather, lie still until you almost step on them and then strike with real meaning.
They blend in really well with their surroundings (especially bracken fern country), and love swampy areas.

Where I used to live there was an 18 acre swamp on one side and a further series of 2 to 5 acre swamps on the other side.
We used to get approximately 30 to 40 tiger snakes per summer.
When seriously injured the tigers will actually bite themselves at the injury site, and I believe they are immune to their own venom and that it apparently acts as a pain killer to themselves. (my observations only, and I don't have scientific proof of such)
Tigers can strike several times, but if they can latch on the first time, they invariably stay latched on and you can see their head pulsating as the jaws keep clamping and this aides in pumping even more venom into the victim.

The closest I ever came to being bitten myself was while watering a line of young trees from a tanker via a hose.
There was usually thick grass around the base of the trees, and I had poked the hose in and left it running for about 5 minutes.
When I returned, I bent over to pick up the hose, and as I did so I felt a sudden air movement against the side of my face.

As I instinctively jumped backwards it was only then that I saw the large tiger that had come out of the grass.
He must have missed my face by only a few millimeters.

Docile and Placid,,,,,,,,,, I think not.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
User avatar
Die Judicii
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2294
Queensland

Re: Snake Report

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Jan 2019, 9:43 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:
Jäger wrote:Nah, you're wrong about Tiger Snakes. I do know what I'm talking about.
They are virtually blind and deaf, do not want confrontation, will leave rather than fight, will give false first strikes as a warning etc.
But, don't take my word for it, do your own research.
you are mis-categorizing them though. :drinks:


My experience is from living surrounded by them for 13 yrs Jager, not looking them up from afar on Wiki.
My experience includes losing several dogs to them, one of whom was chained. Being struck 3 times by snakes I had neither seen nor stepped on.
Of finding them in the kitchen, the bathroom, my bedroom, the lounge room and at least half a dozen times under my car.

You may well have a different experience of them and have formed your opinion from that, if so I think you may be thinking of another snake.


Spot on GazNaz old Mate.
I lived for 52 years in South East of South Australia, and also lost 3 dogs to those mongrel tigers.

I think Jager's definition of placid or docile means,,,,,,,,

Tigers will not usually flee, but rather, lie still until you almost step on them and then strike with real meaning.
They blend in really well with their surroundings (especially bracken fern country), and love swampy areas.

Where I used to live there was an 18 acre swamp on one side and a further series of 2 to 5 acre swamps on the other side.
We used to get approximately 30 to 40 tiger snakes per summer.
When seriously injured the tigers will actually bite themselves at the injury site, and I believe they are immune to their own venom and that it apparently acts as a pain killer to themselves. (my observations only, and I don't have scientific proof of such)
Tigers can strike several times, but if they can latch on the first time, they invariably stay latched on and you can see their head pulsating as the jaws keep clamping and this aides in pumping even more venom into the victim.

The closest I ever came to being bitten myself was while watering a line of young trees from a tanker via a hose.
There was usually thick grass around the base of the trees, and I had poked the hose in and left it running for about 5 minutes.
When I returned, I bent over to pick up the hose, and as I did so I felt a sudden air movement against the side of my face.

As I instinctively jumped backwards it was only then that I saw the large tiger that had come out of the grass.
He must have missed my face by only a few millimeters.

Docile and Placid,,,,,,,,,, I think not.


Bloody oath they can be cranky little pricks for sure, a bloke up here lost a dog yesterday or the day before to a tiger snake - pricks of things! :drinks:
User avatar
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5740
-

Re: Snake Report

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Jan 2019, 9:46 pm

A lady I know puts down flour along the garage opening when she finds a snake in there - why? cos it shows if the snakes come out of the garage or not!

Bush people are smart, city people would run screaming and get someone else to deal with it! :unknown:
User avatar
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5740
-

Re: Snake Report

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Jan 2019, 10:17 pm

bigfellascott wrote:A lady I know puts down flour along the garage opening when she finds a snake in there - why? cos it shows if the snakes come out of the garage or not!

Bush people are smart, city people would run screaming and get someone else to deal with it! :unknown:


:lol: :lol: :lol:

It would take an experienced eye to work out,,,,, if she saw two or more trails, as to whether they were going in or coming out. :unknown: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
User avatar
Die Judicii
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2294
Queensland

Re: Snake Report

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jan 2019, 5:32 am

Die Judicii wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:A lady I know puts down flour along the garage opening when she finds a snake in there - why? cos it shows if the snakes come out of the garage or not!

Bush people are smart, city people would run screaming and get someone else to deal with it! :unknown:


:lol: :lol: :lol:

It would take an experienced eye to work out,,,,, if she saw two or more trails, as to whether they were going in or coming out. :unknown: :thumbsup:


She puts it down once the snakes in the shed, it's her way of telling when it's buggered off or not :D

A bloke up the road came down to a mates place with a religious snake the other day (copperhead from memory) a good size one for the species. Every time we hear something in my mates shed we look at each other and think is it a nice one or a cranky one? :lol:
User avatar
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5740
-

PreviousNext

Back to top
 
Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control