White fox

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

White fox

Post by Crankycant » 28 Oct 2018, 8:33 am

Sorry I have no pics but last night I came across a white fox I've never seen one before. Naturally I was pretty excited! he was about a 100 yards out I only had the 17 hmr with me. This dog was smart as hell we played a game of cat and mouse for at least 45mins where I'd turn the spotlight off and call him up, I could spot him again under the light then he would crouch down in the grass again and look away from the light. To he's credit the little bugger was extremely well camouflaged against the the dry grass and as I could not predict where he would going pop head up next he lives to fight another with out being shot at, I think i may have found an elusive addiction. I couldnt even sleep last night thinking about how I'm going to find him again. Has anyone else any experience with white foxes or that one elusive beast that you always spot but not shoot, I would love to hear your stories
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: White fox

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Oct 2018, 10:14 am

Go into the Public Bar of the Wedderburn Hotel, there is one in a glass display case that was taken by a local some years back. Albinism in foxes is very rare, like most predators, but does exist. Hunt him like any other, bait, whistle, patience, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 28 Oct 2018, 10:16 am

We had a white roo here for some years; about 15 years back. Pretty sure Hoppys' snowy white pelt ended up on the floor of a roo-shooters living room...

So much for being unique.

We had a batch of bright orange rabbits living around the homestead back in 2010. Elder brother had 3 failed attempts shooting them at close range, and after we stopped laughing, we dubbed them the 'Ginger Ninjas'. I think the last Ginger Ninja died an unnatural death about 4 years ago; back to brown rabbits only...Sad..

If you ever nail the white fox, it'll be interesting to hear if it's albino (red eyes etc).
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 28 Oct 2018, 10:46 am

Why didn't you shoot it?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Crankycant » 28 Oct 2018, 11:50 am

Pesky orange rabbits what a shame you couldn't get those ginger ninjas. I'll have to get a glimpse of the fox on display at wedderburn.
Bigpete a series of strange events and a fox with a smart alec attitude toward being spotlighted, all I have to say is that I'm not going to stop until find him I don't care what it consumes I'll have him laying on the floor if it's the last thing I do
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 28 Oct 2018, 12:23 pm

Ok,thought you must have passed on the shot coz of the range ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Oct 2018, 12:59 pm

I saw one perhaps 40 years ago. For perhaps 6-8 seconds. Was closer to very light grey. Haven’t seen one since
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 28 Oct 2018, 1:54 pm

Please make sure that this white fox is NOT an object of worship by anyone, or you will end up being crucified by everyone on social media (shooters included from what I've seen on some FB pages). https://committeetoabolishsporthunting. ... G_bvN7JOzE
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 28 Oct 2018, 2:21 pm

In fact, if it were I, I'd be takeing a photo of it, sending the photo to that fox mob in Sydney telling them that for the piddling sum of fiddy (fiddy thousand that is) you could send them this very rare specimum. Sit back and watch the GoFund race to raise the amount, then tell them "sorry, but someone just shot it".
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Crankycant » 28 Oct 2018, 3:35 pm

Definitely not short on range bigpete, the first 3-4 seconds were my own short comings which put me behind the 8 ball when it decided to play funny buggers. Trekin the only worshipping that will be going on will be my mates worshipping me when it's hanging on the wall.
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 28 Oct 2018, 4:34 pm

its been a hell of a long time since I have even heard of a white fox

I shot this unlucky fallow a couple of years ago with my 6.5x55 98 mauser only because he was white and I wanted his skin :unknown:
do you think that's being racist :lol:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 28 Oct 2018, 4:57 pm

marksman wrote:its been a hell of a long time since I have even heard of a white fox

I shot this unlucky fallow a couple of years ago with my 6.5x55 98 mauser only because he was white and I wanted his skin :unknown:
do you think that's being racist :lol:

Off Topic - Marksman what sort of scope is that mate? Looks very chunky.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Crankycant » 28 Oct 2018, 5:23 pm

That's a nice white fallow marksman great work. Did you keep the pelt or move it on interested to know what you used it for.
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 28 Oct 2018, 6:04 pm

its a 4-12 burris eliminator 2
I used it quite a bit out to 600 with very good success but I moved it on as I got scared of the electrics burning out
at 500 the red dot is the same size as a rabbits head, a bit of mucking around to set it up but once you have it set up it works :drinks:

I ended up tanning the white skin and gave it away as my wife would not let me have it in the house and it would deteriorate in the shed
my mate still has it by his bed and steps on it every morning :thumbsup:

I have passed up a couple of young white stags since as I like to see them so I know from distance where the mob is :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by knowsnothin » 28 Oct 2018, 9:23 pm

its a fox.
give im lead
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Jon79 » 29 Oct 2018, 12:05 am

Seen black foxes and brindle looking foxes don’t remember seeing a white one

Seen white wood ducks, white roos, white wallabies, white currawongs, even a white echindna and white trout
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by coroboreeboy » 29 Oct 2018, 9:56 pm

About 40yrs ago, I was shown a quilt/bedspread? made from 20 white rabbit skins. 19 were pure white and the 20th was yellow. I believe that they were taken from their original owners in Northern Victoria somewhere.
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 30 Oct 2018, 7:28 am

trekin wrote:Please make sure that this white fox is NOT an object of worship by anyone, or you will end up being crucified by everyone on social media (shooters included from what I've seen on some FB pages). https://committeetoabolishsporthunting. ... G_bvN7JOzE

I just read some of the comments in that link and am a little confused. ..isnt there a law against inciting hatred and violence??? :unknown: :unknown:
Bunch of f@#kin hypocrites!!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Crankycant » 30 Oct 2018, 12:40 pm

When read those comments daddybang thing sprung to mind.

terrorism
/ˈtɛrərɪzəm/Submit
noun
the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Oct 2018, 2:05 pm

100_2836.JPG
100_2836.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 4080 times
Perhaps a thermal scope or NiteSite would have enabled you to bag the albino mate.

I used a NiteSite over a 22/250 to bag its cousin (also in Vic,, within sight of the Grampians)
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Crankycant » 30 Oct 2018, 3:03 pm

Thanks die judici I might have a look and invest in something like a night site just for foxing in general. Might have look now. Wow a bit of investment what model do you have die
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Oct 2018, 4:18 pm

Crankycant wrote:Thanks die judici I might have a look and invest in something like a night site just for foxing in general. Might have look now. Wow a bit of investment what model do you have die

The NS200 mate.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control