Land size for 17hmr varminting in Victoria

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Land size for 17hmr varminting in Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Dec 2018, 3:33 pm

duncan61 wrote:great explanation.I found with the neck shot ducks I used to do with HMR the jacket and lead fragments were often still in the duck.I fillet the breast out anyhoo.Never plucked a duck out in my life.

Illegal to shoot ducks here with a rifle, shotgun only.
I don't bother plucking birds either, just take the two breast fillets.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Dec 2018, 3:55 pm

Stix wrote:Because a lot of fresh intakes had no or little experience with firearms,

:idea: This is what I said Stix ol mate, with no reference to their ability (after) their training.

I dont think the american military are sending out inexperienced shooters to bowl these bunnies over... :lol:

While i agree with the points of frangibility of the projectile in the HMR,(that point and ferrets ( :thumbsup: ) were the first 2 things that came to my mind given i grew up stuffing ferrets down warrens to shotgun bunnies, & i prefer to use 22-250 than 222/223 for spotlighting due to lessened risk of ricochet's & i tell farmers this) there is other factors to take into account.
Like for example...on a small block, after one shot from a HMR, you can pack up & come back a few hours later for your second shot as this will scare most others off... ;)

...i can only think of one occasion where ive heard the "tink" on the iron

[color=#BF8000][color=#0040FF]I guess that's all it would take (one time) cos you can't pull it back up the spout. [/color][/color]

But i need to ask...what use iis a silencer on a 17HMR...??

It's a well known fact as No1 49er already pointed out, that they DO work in varying degrees on such calibers.
And to add weight to said statement/s I have a catalogue (albeit sent by accident) to myself direct from Remington, that is intended for the Australian Military and Australian Police Forces only, and definately not the general public.
In this catalogue are detailed descriptions and photos of weapons etc that you haven't even dreamed of, including silencers/suppressors for many Hi Powered rifles of many calibers far in excess of a .17 HMR

While im here...whats with assuming everyone else other than you & Bills Shed are stupid for apparently 'not' picking up on thew fact its a rimfire when Tassie mentioned loading it down...?
I didnt hear you pipe up... :unknown:
And i thought Blade made it pretty clear anyway...his explanation of pulling apart rimfire rounds was self explanatory i thought. :thumbsup:

There is a vast difference between suggesting "being asleep" as in, not picking up a minor point,,,, to saying any-one is as you say,,,,, "stupid"
I never said that, and certainly did not intend what I did say to be comprehended as such.
I think you have been overly loose and liberal in your comprehension as such.

I dont understand why you wouldnt just mention to Tassie its a rimfire round & downloading is not a viable option, rather than wait & insinuate everyone else is stupid... :unknown: ...but then youve made it very clear you think others here, such as myself are fukwits, so i guess that answers my question.

REALLY OL MATE ???????????
On that last outburst of yours I think you need to go outside and blow your nose to try and dislodge some of the sh!t that is obviously lodged up there.
I'll grant you the benefit of doubt that you are not a woman in need of changing a "pad"

:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Dec 2018, 4:03 pm

Sawyers wrote:In my experience with Z or quits (i shoot them alot) I find they a prone to ricochet more so than any other 22lr ammo and a inconsistent in there groupings. Noise whis there perfect for plinking on small blocks with a decnt sized back drop

Even an undamaged 700fps 40gn bullet doesn't travel very far. The furthest a bullet is ever going to go is when you first fire it. Any interaction it makes with any object is going to slow it down quicker, even if it does deflect it. If it is deformed or tumbling it is going to slow down very quickly compared to an undamaged bullet. The CCI Quiet will penetrate a corrugated steel shed out to about 180m (in my own testing they were splitting the steel at 165m and dropping in the dirt so 180m would be a fairly safe minimum), if you are shooting _at_ the shed. Bounce the bullet off an object though, or punch it through a fox or rabbit, and I doubt it'll penetrate the shed even at 50m. I'll have to do some further experimentation with that I think. I've had an idea for a long time that I'd like to do some ricochet testing but I think the ideal is to shoot toward calm water so you can see the splash, and I don't have anywhere I can do that here. Set up a variety of target materials and shoot at them in such a way as to ensure ricochet or pass-through, and see how far and in which direction they travel. I'd love to do a similar experiment to what Edwin did with the .50BMG as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY7jZia2dXQ

So, yes, there is some truth that .22LR bullets are prone to ricochet, but I think the actual risk of any significant harm is exaggerated under normal circumstances. If you are shooting in very close proximity to other people or property then you must be very careful about what you are shooting at, regardless of what you are shooting.

Actually, I just remembered, Rose found some fired CCI SV bullets lying in the grass up in the paddock a couple months back. These were my misses on a steel I had set up at 240m. At 240m I was shooting much higher into the air than anybody hunting rabbits would be - zero is almost a meter high at 100m, and my target was more than two-meters above the ground - and these landed in a neat group less than 100m past my target. They were within a few meters of each other so I doubt they've actually bounced far at all. And they were ballistically perfect. If they'd passed through something, or ricocheted they'd have landed even sooner. I was sure I kept them aside rather than throwing them in my lead stash but I can't find them just now to get a photo. They don't even have marks you'd expect from a bullet hitting dirt so I doubt they had much left in them at all when they landed.
Last edited by bladeracer on 27 Dec 2018, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Dec 2018, 4:13 pm

Stix wrote:Like for example...on a small block, after one shot from a HMR, you can pack up & come back a few hours later for your second shot as this will scare most others off... ;)

I'm not so sure about this.
I had a cliff-top shooting position overlooking the biggest warren on a property in South Australia when I was a kid. I could lie there and shoot lots of rabbits before they got the message and ducked down their holes...for a few seconds before coming back up. As many rabbits as I could carry back with me, and I shot there several times every week. I was shooting my .222Rem at about 250yds and the noise didn't bother them at all. I've shot at a fox here with full-noise .204 at 310m and he didn't worry about the noise either, and I fired two rounds at him. It turned out there was foliage this side of him that was destroying the 24gn bullets.

Similar game with crows. I took 27 crows out of one tree during a few hours one morning. I crawled into cover under a fallen tree before daylight a couple hundred meters from their favorite tree. At every shot one of them would fall from the tree and the rest would jump in the air, circle around, and land again to watch their mate, and another one would fall, and so on. Again, with the .222Rem.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Dec 2018, 4:19 pm

Stix wrote:But i need to ask...what use iis a silencer on a 17HMR...??
For 'silencing" to be effective, the bullet must be traveling at or below the speed of sound so as to force the gasses & sound wave into the baffles to slow & muffle it & prevent them from escaping to the atmosphere before the bullet ...also, a silencer has no ability (to the best of my knowledge) to remove the sonic boom through the atmosphere created from an object travelling faster than the speed of sound, so a silencer on a 17hmr will scare just as many bunnies off as not using one... :crazy:

Your theory is not too far off, but a silencer does indeed quieten the shot, for the shooter, and also for the target. At a reasonable distance the shot can be so quiet that the animal won't even register it as being within it's danger zone, it will just hear the crack of the supersonic bullet as it passes, assuming you missed him. If you hit him he won't even hear that. In my own experience shooting at longer ranges (where the unsilenced report is beyond the targets perceived threat zone), the sonic crack of a near miss really doesn't seem to bother them too much. If you've stood in the butts of a long-range shoot you will hear the crack very clearly, but it is _nothing_ compared to standing at the firing line without hearing protection. The explosion of firing is _way_ louder than a sonic crack.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 09 Jan 2019, 2:00 pm

Fair enuf DJ...lol

:)

I havnt been hiding from knowing what was coming...just been away without electronic devices.
And i did plenty of blowing stuff out of pipes.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 09 Jan 2019, 11:10 pm

Stix wrote:Fair enuf DJ...lol

:)

I havnt been hiding from knowing what was coming...just been away without electronic devices.
And i did plenty of blowing stuff out of pipes.

hopen there will be a hunt report in there Stix :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control