Selling and buying pelts??

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Selling and buying pelts??

Post by Stix » 17 Jan 2019, 9:43 pm

id be happy to do a dog or 3 to see how they turn out for ya... :thumbsup: but i dont know about buying them mate... :unknown: :lol:

.just a hobby type thing that kicked in last Feb because throwing really nice fox furs out got the better of me, & i happened to shoot a nice ginger cat (thinking it was a fox in the scope) that had a besutiffly soft fur too...

The making leather thing also has me intrigued... :thumbsup:

But i imagine ill just tan & collect them until such time as the novelty wears off, then wonder what the hell i collected them all for... :unknown: :roll:

Maybe one day when im an old fart n got no money ill sit them.on a table at a country fair & sell em to kids for a few bucks...

Or i live near the Port so if im feeling like creating a little havock i could make some clothes out of them...im thinking a catskin hat complete with head ofcourse :thumbsup: , a long fox pelt trenchcoat, some goat skin pants & a pair of rabbit gloves & wear them to a PETA Vegan rally... :clap: :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jan 2019, 10:49 pm

I want to be there when that happens you'd look like Robinson Crusoe :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nah mate just jokin about the skins it's a shame though how the gov doesn't encourage people to find ways to create little incomes whilst
on pensions and gov incomes to alleviate gov spending mind you only those that can and who have the gear at hand not taking anything away from the others
I wouldn't mind having a stab at tanning myself those skins of yours look good and I reacon a ginger cat hat would look good
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 17 Jan 2019, 11:48 pm

Unfortunately the cost of living & realestate & therefor hourly wages have risen to such high levels its made things like fox pelts not worth spending the time on to earn a buck...the time i spend i'll never make minimum wage on them...

And that coupled with the modern governing bodies of this country not putting resources into various potential industries, & having to inflate values to pay for the last goverments "legacy" i feel the days of furs being worth anything are long gone. :thumbsdown:

Imagine the industry that roos could be if not so stupidly regulated & monopolised...& pounced upon by the "do-gooders"...

I remember when you could buy a locally made pair of sheepkin ugg boots or moccasins for next to nothing & a set of runners you had to save for...

Now, the runners are made OS & shipped here & can buy them for nothing...sheep are everywhere & a decent locally made pair of uggs are hundreds...all because of local taxes & bulls**t regulation... :roll:

All this bulls**t about not eating the animals on your coat of arms...ffs :roll: ...that should be the sign of a good economy & smart country :thumbsup: --bet your bottom dollar if roos were native to middle east, asia or europe they would be in staple dishes...!!
But not here mate...cos were a bunch of stuck up prude's...

Rabbits were plenty good enough to keep this country alive through the depression, but now that weve embraced much better cooking techniques to make them mouthwateringly palatable, we're apparently "too good" to eat them... :roll:

I guess sheep walk up the ramp easier...can you imagine the docks while loading a ship with 35000 roo's... :wtf: :lol:
Roos hopping everywhere being chased by animal rights activists trying to hug them... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Jan 2019, 7:30 am

Rotfl... that be a funny sight mate.

Plus adding virus to rabies has actually nearly killed the rabbit commercial farmers.

No what gets me is currently two things, first is the animal lovers instead of harping about creating better inspections on live animal trade, just want to ban it. There are countries where ppl prefer to kill a live animal infront of them.... and they will never buy AU or anywhere else processed meat. And if we don't sell them then they will go somewhere else.

This country has over regulated everything to the nth degree, its getting extremely likely that most industries including farming and manufacturing will eventually leave this country. Then I wonder how much control we will have on the farmers in china or Indonesia who grow fruit in sewage contaminated water or use banned pesticides that cause cancer or sell chemical adulterated foods.

Hey our kids will either be on dole smoking weed, or working as a shopkeeper or a personal trainer. Atleast they will vote or be fined. Those are envious jobs I tell ya.....not
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 18 Jan 2019, 8:59 am

Animals killed for fur have:

Been skinned alive
Died slowly in traps
Been anally electrocuted
Been poisoned to death

RETWEET if you'd NEVER wear someone else's fur

https://twitter.com/peta/status/1085977053323771905

I wonder if Peta have photos of animals being anally electrocuted.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Jan 2019, 9:30 am

I remember in the mid eighties when I could get $15 for a fox skin, went out spotlighting every weekend chasing foxes.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Jan 2019, 2:09 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:
Animals killed for fur have:

Been skinned alive
Died slowly in traps
Been anally electrocuted
Been poisoned to death

RETWEET if you'd NEVER wear someone else's fur

https://twitter.com/peta/status/1085977053323771905

I wonder if Peta have photos of animals being anally electrocuted.

Mate do a google on PETA. In the past they were found out to have a policy where any pet animals that went to their shelters in USA were euthanized the next day, and no attempt was made to rehome them. As they PETA were/are against ppl imprisoning animals as domestic pets
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jan 2019, 5:49 pm

Peta '' heh''! they must live in fantasy land i'd like to know how you'd go about skinning a full grown buck kangaroo or for that matter
a Grizzly bear whilst they're alive
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jan 2019, 5:51 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I remember in the mid eighties when I could get $15 for a fox skin, went out spotlighting every weekend chasing foxes.

In SA in the mid-eighties I was getting an easy $45 a pelt, often a lot more than that.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 18 Jan 2019, 5:57 pm

bladeracer wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:I remember in the mid eighties when I could get $15 for a fox skin, went out spotlighting every weekend chasing foxes.

In SA in the mid-eighties I was getting an easy $45 a pelt, often a lot more than that.

Wow...!!!
I wish i new that back then...!!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jan 2019, 6:03 pm

Stix wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Wow...!!!
I wish i new that back then...!!!

I wish I'd known it wasn't going to last, I would've made more of an effort :-)
I knew a pair of fox shooters who lived purely on fox money, tax free as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jan 2019, 6:12 pm

Now all the foxs are in parliament house and their hides aren't worth anything
Member-Deleted

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Jan 2019, 9:02 pm

Mate that is simple economics... supply and demand... when supply increases prices go down.... plus they fight tooth and nail to stay in parliament... anyone seen the fatto billionaire Clive... he's started last year
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Baitlayer » 20 Jan 2019, 4:19 pm

When I was tying flies for a shop in Tassie a few years back I used to shoot ,skin and tan feral cat skins for use in trout flies(there is a well known pattern called the Cat Fur Fly).Took a whole black skin to the club one night and by the time everybody got a piece,went home empty handed.Lucky I had another at home.Given what shops charge for fly tying material,would a market to investigate.Cat fur is a great material for this use and converting cat to a nice tasty rainbow makes sense to me.Keeps the greens happy too because I'm removing two imported species from the wild.(like i actually care what they think!)
Skins are relatively easy to prepare and one pelt produces a lot of flies!
Baitlayer
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Jan 2019, 11:08 pm

Thats weird...the last cat i threw in a river didnt catch a trout...it just caught a fear of me & shotguns... :unknown:

Just kidding...

Thats interesting to know baitlayer...thats going in the memory bank :thumbsup:
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by gordicans » 05 Jul 2019, 3:33 pm

I helped put myself through Armidale Uni in the 1970's selling fox skins to a shop in Sydney. Used to get paid pretty good money for them too. I recall one day walking down to the local railway station for the trip into town carrying a large bag stuffed full of fox skins. I could hear some sort of weird noise close behind me and looked around and to my surprise there would've been more than 20 dogs (in the days when suburban dogs roamed freely) following close behind sniffing and carrying on in a state of high excitement lol
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by DavidThorn » 13 Sep 2021, 1:58 pm

@Stix, how's this hobby going for you? 2.5 yrs later and I'm wondering the same things... seems like I know a fair few people throw away pelts or have salted/dressed the odd one out of fascination but everyone I know seems to give up on this as a waste of time. I don't like the idea of farming animals for fur, but seems like if I want a fur jacket (and damn, when gets cold I do) buying something made from farmed animals is my only realistic option. Disappointing considering the scale of the feral rabbit and fox infestation in rural Vic...
DavidThorn
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Sep 2021, 1:49 pm

DavidThorn wrote:@Stix, how's this hobby going for you? 2.5 yrs later and I'm wondering the same things... seems like I know a fair few people throw away pelts or have salted/dressed the odd one out of fascination but everyone I know seems to give up on this as a waste of time. I don't like the idea of farming animals for fur, but seems like if I want a fur jacket (and damn, when gets cold I do) buying something made from farmed animals is my only realistic option. Disappointing considering the scale of the feral rabbit and fox infestation in rural Vic...

You could make your own jacket.

I made very good money out of foxes as a kid as well, nowadays I don't even bother chasing the bounties, though I do keep any really nice pelts.
No rabbits down my way for a few years now :-(
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Sep 2021, 1:56 pm

Lol I shot one couple of days ago. 1st for ages. The dog loves me again.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bah! » 14 Sep 2021, 2:38 pm

bladeracer wrote: I made very good money out of foxes as a kid as well, nowadays I don't even bother chasing the bounties, though I do keep any really nice pelts.
No rabbits down my way for a few years now :-(

Seen a few billies that would make a nice rug but only if you can get the smell out. Maybe a deer?

The rabbits crept back in here while I was busy elsewhere with goats.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Larry » 15 Sep 2021, 8:26 am

I have sent a few of my cattle skins off to be tanned. They are a bit too big of a project for me to do at home. They came out really well and have held up for several years on the floor as a rug in front of the fire.
GREENHALGH TANNERY
PTY. LTD.

856 GREENHALGHS RD
BUNKERS HILL
VICTORIA 3352
AUSTRALIA
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bah! » 15 Sep 2021, 8:37 am

Yeah someone local had a speckle park steer done and it came up great. I have one steer that loves to jump fences, could happen to him.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control