Selling and buying pelts??

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Selling and buying pelts??

Post by Waylandor » 15 Jan 2019, 9:22 am

Hey I'm not a hunter (though I'd love to get out there one-day)
I'm just a person wanting to become a taxidermist, so I figured who best to know where to get pelts and ended up here, alot of places are selling ranched fox pelts from America but I'd prefer to buy locally
So the big question is Where do you (if you) sell your fox pelts or other game pelts
Waylandor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Selling and buying pelts??

Post by Bazooker » 15 Jan 2019, 2:31 pm

G'day Waylandor,

Welcome to the forum, PM sent.

Baz.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by dont.own.shoes » 16 Jan 2019, 2:29 pm

id love to know who buys pelts/ skins. can do fox, cat, rabbit, camel, kangaroo
Lithgow LA101 .22wmr
Sako 85 Hunter .223
Remington 7600 .308
dont.own.shoes
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2019, 2:58 pm

Waylandor wrote:Hey I'm not a hunter (though I'd love to get out there one-day)
I'm just a person wanting to become a taxidermist, so I figured who best to know where to get pelts and ended up here, alot of places are selling ranched fox pelts from America but I'd prefer to buy locally
So the big question is Where do you (if you) sell your fox pelts or other game pelts

I think I have a couple of foxes in the freezer you could have.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2019, 2:59 pm

dont.own.shoes wrote:id love to know who buys pelts/ skins. can do fox, cat, rabbit, camel, kangaroo

I don't think there's an actual market anymore for them. I think your most likely outlet would be advertising them as floor rugs.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 16 Jan 2019, 3:06 pm

dont.own.shoes wrote:id love to know who buys pelts/ skins. can do fox, cat, rabbit, camel, kangaroo

How do you go with bunnies D.o.s...?

I have a very low hit rate with them. :unknown: ..fleshing being the issue... :cry:
Happy to take any tips... :)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by dont.own.shoes » 16 Jan 2019, 8:28 pm

stixs mate I am far from an expert and have probably only done a dozen rabbit skins to tan as I usually skin them to eat ( cut across the shoulders then pull the skin off) but i have never had an issue with any flesh left on the skins to try and get off.......... maybe I have been lucky, and the ones I have skinned to tan have been small fluffy females wich I find much easier than the big old males
Lithgow LA101 .22wmr
Sako 85 Hunter .223
Remington 7600 .308
dont.own.shoes
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Jan 2019, 8:49 pm

Fair enuf...thanks d.o.s... :thumbsup:

Im at the point of not being too far off getting a supple commercial grade suede feel to mine...

When i say flesh...i mean the membrane that is silvery-white between the 'skin' & 'carcass'/body that you can see when skinning out...

Ive got the fox, cat & goats down to pretty easy to get off (for the most part), but these pesky rabbits alude me...i can flesh out a big fatty old fox with head quicker than a tiny bunny :roll:

Ive found there is a patch of it on the back just in front of the tail that doesnt want to shift...this makes it hard for the oil to penetrate & is quite a bit stiffer than the skin itself...

Ive got best results from the tuff bucks because the hide is thicker, however they are harder to flesh out.

Random orbital sander is the next & last resort... then i go to turfing them back into the mallee...:unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 16 Jan 2019, 11:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I don't think there's an actual market anymore for them. I think your most likely outlet would be advertising them as floor rugs.

Yep those PETA hypocrites wearing their leather mini skirts/G Strings/shoes/handbags/purses/etc while sitting on leather couches and chairs said fur is bad which killed the market, for some reason leather is OK.

Akubra import rabbit skins for their hats.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bazooker » 17 Jan 2019, 1:21 pm

You need to start a marketing campaign:-

" Real conservationists wear fox fur"

Might be a jump too far getting them to wear moggies though.

Baz.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Archie » 17 Jan 2019, 2:18 pm

I looked at buying a cowhide rug in Sydney the other day. Website was $450. Whats the going rate for a cow, if thats the cost of the skin?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jan 2019, 2:59 pm

Archie wrote:I looked at buying a cowhide rug in Sydney the other day. Website was $450. Whats the going rate for a cow, if thats the cost of the skin?

Our Murray Grey breeders were $2000 apiece a few years back.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jan 2019, 6:04 pm

Ya know I often wonder why Australia doesn't have a small fur and leather market where people could send hides or pelts to be tanned
America does and some people can create an income by doing so and in Australia this would help the low income and people on the dole
if they wanted to do so As far as I know America tans everything from coyotes to pigs , cattle you name it but here in Australia all our ferals
shins get wasted
As far as people not wanting it because it was a cat , well if it was only made into leather then they wouldn't know where it come from it also would be a blessing
to the environment by not making plastics that take forever to break down in the environment where as leather does break down far quicker
If you sat down and considered the merit of it there would be more plusses for having a small leather industry here in Australia than not having one
The government whinges about people on hand outs yet they ham string people with by laws and not supporting small industries

Maybe some of you have some ideas on this that would make it clearer for me but I for one would collect my feral skins rather than rely on a Gov hand out
Maybe move to America ( LOL )
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jan 2019, 6:21 pm

I made lots of very good money from foxes and cats as a kid. I did do a few rabbits but didn't consider them worth the effort. All of my shooting costs, including buying the rifles, was easily covered by fox pelt money.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 17 Jan 2019, 7:09 pm

Im workin on bringing that industry back
2019-01-17 19.35.50.jpg
Bringing back the feral fur industry....
2019-01-17 19.35.50.jpg (558.84 KiB) Viewed 9901 times

Anothe bucket of various bunnies & a fox to add to this... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 17 Jan 2019, 7:14 pm

Now i have to pick them all up n put them away... :roll:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jan 2019, 8:52 pm

Yes bladeracer and it was good back then I made some money out of wallaby ears back when I was a young fella still going to school
but where I am they don't even pay you for wild dog ears or anything .Even if it was only to pay for consumables but extra would be more desirable
When I was a kid you could get as much as 30 bob for a dingo pelt that's $3 almost days wages in one dog we don't or didn't get many fox up here and still don't but if
it was that you did get one it is worth nothing here. There used to be casual shooters all over the place up here once wanting to make a few extra money to help out
but all that went by the way when companies sourced skins and leather from over seas cheaper to gain bigger profits
I know some places pay out on wild dog pelts but only as a pest and most of it is financed by the farming industry and farmers in that area then the skins are wasted
I realise this wouldn't be for everybody but a lot would take it up if a smallish company started a bit like pig boxes take them to a box salted get a slip and get paid when
they arrive at the tannery or something similar I find it strange someone hasn't taken up the task already
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jan 2019, 9:03 pm

So Stix mate does that mean you'll buy all my skins ? ;) :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
By gee that's an impressive lot of skins mate you might just be the right man to start something up
Unfortunately I don't know enough about tanning hides to do anything about it although I made green hide on the stations way back to make ropes and whips
( before rope was invented :D ) but they weren't properly tanned just salted , dried and oiled
Keep up the good work you just never know mate
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 17 Jan 2019, 9:43 pm

id be happy to do a dog or 3 to see how they turn out for ya... :thumbsup: but i dont know about buying them mate... :unknown: :lol:

.just a hobby type thing that kicked in last Feb because throwing really nice fox furs out got the better of me, & i happened to shoot a nice ginger cat (thinking it was a fox in the scope) that had a besutiffly soft fur too...

The making leather thing also has me intrigued... :thumbsup:

But i imagine ill just tan & collect them until such time as the novelty wears off, then wonder what the hell i collected them all for... :unknown: :roll:

Maybe one day when im an old fart n got no money ill sit them.on a table at a country fair & sell em to kids for a few bucks...

Or i live near the Port so if im feeling like creating a little havock i could make some clothes out of them...im thinking a catskin hat complete with head ofcourse :thumbsup: , a long fox pelt trenchcoat, some goat skin pants & a pair of rabbit gloves & wear them to a PETA Vegan rally... :clap: :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jan 2019, 10:49 pm

I want to be there when that happens you'd look like Robinson Crusoe :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nah mate just jokin about the skins it's a shame though how the gov doesn't encourage people to find ways to create little incomes whilst
on pensions and gov incomes to alleviate gov spending mind you only those that can and who have the gear at hand not taking anything away from the others
I wouldn't mind having a stab at tanning myself those skins of yours look good and I reacon a ginger cat hat would look good
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 17 Jan 2019, 11:48 pm

Unfortunately the cost of living & realestate & therefor hourly wages have risen to such high levels its made things like fox pelts not worth spending the time on to earn a buck...the time i spend i'll never make minimum wage on them...

And that coupled with the modern governing bodies of this country not putting resources into various potential industries, & having to inflate values to pay for the last goverments "legacy" i feel the days of furs being worth anything are long gone. :thumbsdown:

Imagine the industry that roos could be if not so stupidly regulated & monopolised...& pounced upon by the "do-gooders"...

I remember when you could buy a locally made pair of sheepkin ugg boots or moccasins for next to nothing & a set of runners you had to save for...

Now, the runners are made OS & shipped here & can buy them for nothing...sheep are everywhere & a decent locally made pair of uggs are hundreds...all because of local taxes & bulls**t regulation... :roll:

All this bulls**t about not eating the animals on your coat of arms...ffs :roll: ...that should be the sign of a good economy & smart country :thumbsup: --bet your bottom dollar if roos were native to middle east, asia or europe they would be in staple dishes...!!
But not here mate...cos were a bunch of stuck up prude's...

Rabbits were plenty good enough to keep this country alive through the depression, but now that weve embraced much better cooking techniques to make them mouthwateringly palatable, we're apparently "too good" to eat them... :roll:

I guess sheep walk up the ramp easier...can you imagine the docks while loading a ship with 35000 roo's... :wtf: :lol:
Roos hopping everywhere being chased by animal rights activists trying to hug them... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Jan 2019, 7:30 am

Rotfl... that be a funny sight mate.

Plus adding virus to rabies has actually nearly killed the rabbit commercial farmers.

No what gets me is currently two things, first is the animal lovers instead of harping about creating better inspections on live animal trade, just want to ban it. There are countries where ppl prefer to kill a live animal infront of them.... and they will never buy AU or anywhere else processed meat. And if we don't sell them then they will go somewhere else.

This country has over regulated everything to the nth degree, its getting extremely likely that most industries including farming and manufacturing will eventually leave this country. Then I wonder how much control we will have on the farmers in china or Indonesia who grow fruit in sewage contaminated water or use banned pesticides that cause cancer or sell chemical adulterated foods.

Hey our kids will either be on dole smoking weed, or working as a shopkeeper or a personal trainer. Atleast they will vote or be fined. Those are envious jobs I tell ya.....not
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 18 Jan 2019, 8:59 am

Animals killed for fur have:

Been skinned alive
Died slowly in traps
Been anally electrocuted
Been poisoned to death

RETWEET if you'd NEVER wear someone else's fur

https://twitter.com/peta/status/1085977053323771905

I wonder if Peta have photos of animals being anally electrocuted.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Jan 2019, 9:30 am

I remember in the mid eighties when I could get $15 for a fox skin, went out spotlighting every weekend chasing foxes.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Jan 2019, 2:09 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:
Animals killed for fur have:

Been skinned alive
Died slowly in traps
Been anally electrocuted
Been poisoned to death

RETWEET if you'd NEVER wear someone else's fur

https://twitter.com/peta/status/1085977053323771905

I wonder if Peta have photos of animals being anally electrocuted.

Mate do a google on PETA. In the past they were found out to have a policy where any pet animals that went to their shelters in USA were euthanized the next day, and no attempt was made to rehome them. As they PETA were/are against ppl imprisoning animals as domestic pets
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jan 2019, 5:49 pm

Peta '' heh''! they must live in fantasy land i'd like to know how you'd go about skinning a full grown buck kangaroo or for that matter
a Grizzly bear whilst they're alive
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jan 2019, 5:51 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I remember in the mid eighties when I could get $15 for a fox skin, went out spotlighting every weekend chasing foxes.

In SA in the mid-eighties I was getting an easy $45 a pelt, often a lot more than that.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 18 Jan 2019, 5:57 pm

bladeracer wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:I remember in the mid eighties when I could get $15 for a fox skin, went out spotlighting every weekend chasing foxes.

In SA in the mid-eighties I was getting an easy $45 a pelt, often a lot more than that.

Wow...!!!
I wish i new that back then...!!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jan 2019, 6:03 pm

Stix wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Wow...!!!
I wish i new that back then...!!!

I wish I'd known it wasn't going to last, I would've made more of an effort :-)
I knew a pair of fox shooters who lived purely on fox money, tax free as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jan 2019, 6:12 pm

Now all the foxs are in parliament house and their hides aren't worth anything
Member-Deleted

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control