Bagging your first critter

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Bagging your first critter

Post by crush » 30 Jan 2014, 7:38 pm

I took the nephew out for his first hunt/shoot in the field today.

First trip out and bagged himself a fox :D

Years ago now, and not very exciting but a regular old bunnie was the first critter in my sights. The nephew couldn't get enough of the old war stories though :D

If you can even remember, what was the first thing you bagged?
crush
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Bagging your first critter

Post by Chronos » 30 Jan 2014, 8:05 pm

good job mate, sharing your passion for the outdoors, hunting and feral animal control with the young bloke

my first critter? well i came to shooting later in life than most shooters. i spent a good few years target shooting before i did my first hunting. living in the city hunting opportunities are few and far between so we booked a paid hunting property. On the drive in we spotlighted a couple of deer so things looked promising.

The next morning we set out on foot hoping to catch deer moving to cover without luck but on our way back to camp we crossed paths with a pig moving between us. no shot presented itself so the rest of the day was spent looking over the property for suitable hunting areas. Although we spotted another deer at quite a distance we didn't get a shot away.

The next morning i set off alone predawn to a spot i had picked out. i sat glassing the area until the sun had risen without any sign of game. So i made the call to up and move to a gully with some cover i thought may act as a highway for game.

Within 5 minutes a mob of pigs appeared using the gully to move across the block. i selected the bore and squeezes off a shot from the 7-08 and hit the bore in the engine room.

Although i didn't plan on taking the meat i took the time to gut the animal and work out the primal cuts. time well spent as i believe any experience that takes you into unknown territory that is taken seriously can only benefit you later on in your hunting/shooting career

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 30 Jan 2014, 9:39 pm

The first thing I learned to hunt was a small bird similar in size to a spatchcock that ran rampant on a property we used to camp on. My dad loved eating them but you had to shoot them in the head or you ruined all the meat. Made me a good shot with a 22 though
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by nords » 31 Jan 2014, 12:34 pm

Chronos wrote:Although i didn't plan on taking the meat i took the time to gut the animal and work out the primal cuts. time well spent as i believe any experience that takes you into unknown territory that is taken seriously can only benefit you later on in your hunting/shooting career

I reckon.

I'm no master butcher, but its irked me a few times when people have said they shoot deer for meat but only take the back legs because they don't know how to do anything else.

So wasteful :?
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 31 Jan 2014, 1:15 pm

I successfully took many tree stumps when starting out :lol:

And finally a fox :D
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by saucy » 31 Jan 2014, 3:17 pm

Chronos wrote:living in the city hunting opportunities are few and far between so we booked a paid hunting property.

Where was that if you can remember?
Sako L46 222 Remington
Savage 112 300 Winchester Magnum
Winchester 1886 45-70 (Goes here when I win the lottery :( )
saucy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 31 Jan 2014, 3:57 pm

saucy wrote:
Chronos wrote:living in the city hunting opportunities are few and far between so we booked a paid hunting property.

Where was that if you can remember?

oh yes, I remember :D

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 31 Jan 2014, 5:09 pm

Rabbit, six years old then rabbit after rabbit after rabbit, then roo after roo after roo for a while then repeat.......................................................................................... all with dads semi auto browning .22(with a dot of white on the open sights for use at night off the tractor) or my uncles brno(that had a scope so was the holy grail but he was only home on weekends and I had to ask him) until I got my own semi at the age of 12.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Feb 2014, 3:28 pm

My first shot out of my first rifle, a brand new stirling .22lr self loader at my first rabbit. Sheesh that was a long time ago!
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dustin » 02 Feb 2014, 8:48 am

Also busted a bunny for my first time :D
dustin
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 02 Feb 2014, 8:49 am

A fox on my 2nd or 3rd trip out I think.

Got a decent Fallow on the 5th trip, can't argue with that :D
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control