22LR vs 17MHR

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: 22LR vs 17MHR

Post by Bruiser64 » 17 Mar 2019, 11:33 pm

Chappo wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:If you are looking to shoot foxes and won’t be reloading l would recommend the magnum with a 40 grain pill or the 17wsm. This is purely based on the high cost of factory hornet ammo. But if you will reloading get the hornet. The 17 wsm will be louder than the magnum and hmr as it has more powder and velocity.

I have never really agreed with the cost of ammo being the top deciding factor in purchasing a firearm.
Maybe it’s because I don’t do as much shooting as some of you guys and that’s fair enough and I understand if shooting is your job but i find it strange that recreational shooters will make their decision based purely on ammo cost and then fork out $2k on a rifle, scope, bipod, sling etc then later buy aftermarket mags, bolt knobs, recoil pads for it, then put it in a Boyd’s stock and spend hours tinkering with it then put it in the back of the safe and only shoot it occasionally cause you’ve bought something new.!!
I rekon if the rifle suits you and you like it then buy it.
Not trying to be argumentative bruiser. It’s just that I’ve heard about ammo cost heaps on this site and thought I’d share my opinion....... :drinks:

It’s all good Chappo :drinks: . I think you make a good point. Although Ammo cost is a part of the expense of shooting,it isn’t the sole consideration. The worst that can happen is Dom may decide he needs a couple of new rifles.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Chappo » 17 Mar 2019, 11:43 pm

deye243 wrote:
Chappo wrote:I’m not immune to this thinking though. I’ll pay $25,000 for a fishing boat and then consider the cheap lures over the expensive ones... :thumbsup:

Me too ...... but it ain't my fault that a $3 hard body catches more bream that a $25 eco gear .
duncan61 wrote:I paid $1 for the canned ricecream instead of $2 for the brand name with the rip top and spent $52.99 on beer

:lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Mar 2019, 10:15 am

Chappo wrote:I have never really agreed with the cost of ammo being the top deciding factor in purchasing a firearm.
Maybe it’s because I don’t do as much shooting as some of you guys and that’s fair enough and I understand if shooting is your job but i find it strange that recreational shooters will make their decision based purely on ammo cost and then fork out $2k on a rifle, scope, bipod, sling etc then later buy aftermarket mags, bolt knobs, recoil pads for it, then put it in a Boyd’s stock and spend hours tinkering with it then put it in the back of the safe and only shoot it occasionally cause you’ve bought something new.!!
Not trying to be argumentative bruiser. It’s just that I’ve heard about ammo cost heaps on this site and thought I’d share my opinion....... :drinks:

I agree with you, but it's a fact that many people do consider it important, so it has to be mentioned when making suggestions to people.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 18 Mar 2019, 10:23 am

bladeracer wrote:
Chappo wrote:I have never really agreed with the cost of ammo being the top deciding factor in purchasing a firearm.

I agree with you, but it's a fact that many people do consider it important, so it has to be mentioned when making suggestions to people.

True, it's one of the reasons I traded my 17 WSM, I'm reloading for my .223 for about 2/3 the price of WSM ammo.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by xDom » 19 Mar 2019, 9:47 am

After much reading and research I decided to go with the 22 WMR. Ruger American. Put it on layby today, ready for my big trip in May.
Thanks for everyone's help. :drinks:
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 19 Mar 2019, 8:05 pm

xDom wrote:After much reading and research I decided to go with the 22 WMR. Ruger American. Put it on layby today, ready for my big trip in May.
Thanks for everyone's help. :drinks:

Well done Dom. I have had my Ruger American 22 magnum for a while and I am very happy with it. It is very hard to go past them for value and effectiveness.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Chappo » 19 Mar 2019, 8:21 pm

:thumbsup:
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 22 Apr 2019, 12:51 am

TassieTiger wrote:I have no issues shooting .22 round all day long with out ear protection.
How does the .17 hmr compare in noise?

Mate your probably experienced and have made your choice, but just putting it out there. Even those little 22LR are killing inner ear hair cells each shot. I thought my hearing was bullet proof in the army, as we all did, even afterwards never bothered much with hearing protection. I'd had a hearing test for mining, showed minimal losses. Then one day they dropped a little more and I got a crap case of tinnitus spark up. I got six loud squealing pitches playing in the right ear and sounding like another couple behind my head. I'll be listening to this tune now until the day I die. Doesn't bother me these days, but still rather I hadn't got it. Sorry for the lecture, take it or leave it.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Apr 2019, 9:16 am

I’m hearing you - it might not be as the case could be...
I only usually use sub sonics in my .22 these days but 30 years riding motorcycles has probably already done various damage...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mickb » 24 Apr 2019, 7:51 pm

our generation certainly gave our bodies a flogging :D
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by womble » 25 Apr 2019, 3:28 am

Yes, good choice. 22wmr is underrated.
Ask for the Hornady 30gr v-max rounds. They’re so good you wont want to waste them.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 25 Apr 2019, 5:26 pm

our generation...yep...
Sheesh...i grew up with an old man who loved his ferreting & in the days of self loading shotguns...
Spent my childhood standing on rabbit warrens emptying shells over the rolling hills & hearing protection wasnt heard of...

Also spent the first 12 years of my adult life as a drummer playing live gigs & ear plugs were a nuisance to play with as they cut out critical tone & volume, so at best i used cotton wool to still be able to hear the tones required..

Then i became a tradesman & power tools were nothing compared to guns...(so i thought)...one day a few years ago i was using a 4" grinder on some brickwork for only a minute, and bang--all of a sudden it hurt...!!
Yinitus has hit & plagues me at the end of the day if trying to watch tv...

Even using a circ saw hurts my ears these days so muffs always hang on my rear seat in car.

Too late now...damage done & surprised i can hear as well as i can...but i annoy some people who talk with a mumble in a deep voice as im constantly asking what they said...

As for 17hmr...you could download the 223 with trailboss (ive not read this entire thread so forgive me if its been mentioned).

Im currently mucking around with reduced loads in 22-250 for that reason...seem to be around the 1900 ish fps mark & still vaporising bullets that i can tell...but i do need a few more bunnies to confirm this.

That way i dont have to carry another rifle...but a 17 hmr would be good for close range stuff...although most stuff i shoot is beyond 100-150 yds anyway so i wont be getting one soon.
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by xDom » 28 Apr 2019, 2:39 pm

womble wrote:Yes, good choice. 22wmr is underrated.
Ask for the Hornady 30gr v-max rounds. They’re so good you wont want to waste them.

They're exactly the rounds I got, suggested by the shop owner. I've only got 2 more weeks until my trip. I'm itching to go.
I'm thinking about buying an electronic fox caller. ICOtec GC300 is what I'm thinking about.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control