Farmer assist program

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Farmer assist program

Post by Zappa » 06 Apr 2019, 5:18 pm

signed up for the Farmer assist program sponsored by SSAA and was dissapointed to see only half dozen sites listed, Australia wide !

I hope more and more farmers and land owners latch onto this program as a way to help people get into hunting , pest control and help them rid of their vermin.

https://farmerassist.com.au/
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Farmer assist program

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 06 Apr 2019, 5:32 pm

Have heard a few things regarding the cwm program still havent signed into it
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by southwest shooter » 06 Apr 2019, 5:35 pm

Go knock on some farmers doors I think you'll have mote luck .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 06 Apr 2019, 5:42 pm

southwest shooter wrote:Go knock on some farmers doors I think you'll have mote luck .

I wouldnt know where to start ? knock on any farmers door that has a bit of acreage ? I dont think many would appreciate strangers knocking on their door wanting to shoot up on their land.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Apr 2019, 6:10 pm

southwest shooter wrote:Go knock on some farmers doors I think you'll have more luck .

Thats what I do
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Apr 2019, 6:33 pm

Lol....

I imagine all SSAA members are the best, they fix up fences for free, make sure they leave the gates as they find them. Clean up after themselves... just like all hunters

Lol lol cough cough. Lol
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 06 Apr 2019, 7:00 pm

Going in as signed up participant with full disclosure of your details, you would be on your best behavior and do the right thing by the owner. Otherwise you wouldnt be too hard to track down.

Win-win for the farmer and shooter.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 06 Apr 2019, 7:29 pm

Zappa wrote:
southwest shooter wrote:Go knock on some farmers doors I think you'll have mote luck .

I wouldnt know where to start ? knock on any farmers door that has a bit of acreage ? I dont think many would appreciate strangers knocking on their door wanting to shoot up on their land.

BS did someone geld you champ ?
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 06 Apr 2019, 7:45 pm

southwest shooter wrote:
Zappa wrote:

Not last time i checked.

I respect peoples privacy and not my style rocking up redneck and gun-ho like knocking on peoples door, wanting to dump my brass and crap on their land. A bit obnoxious rocking up unannounced and uncultured. I've got too much self-respect for that style.
YMMV.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 06 Apr 2019, 7:55 pm

Somebody keeps telling me about farmer assist and that I should apply. But I just guess there might be maybe three hunting blocks registered in the entire country and about 5 million blokes with rifles looking for a start. Not good odds
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Apr 2019, 8:17 pm

With respect Zappa. Why don't you search the forum first there are a couple of threads on this topic already that will explain better than I have or others have
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 06 Apr 2019, 8:23 pm

Zappa wrote:
southwest shooter wrote:
Zappa wrote:

Not last time i checked.

I respect peoples privacy and not my style rocking up redneck and gun-ho like knocking on peoples door, wanting to dump my brass and crap on their land. A bit obnoxious rocking up unannounced and uncultured. I've got too much self-respect for that style.
YMMV.

I'll have my final say on the matter WHO DARES WINS .OR EDDIE WOULD GO .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flutch » 08 Apr 2019, 7:53 pm

Zappa wrote:signed up for the Farmer assist program sponsored by SSAA and was dissapointed to see only half dozen sites listed, Australia wide !

I hope more and more farmers and land owners latch onto this program as a way to help people get into hunting , pest control and help them rid of their vermin.

well where I am from there are more than enough people shooting already, farmers have also been fked over by people coming on stealing, kiwi doggers letting swine loose on their bush reserves and cutting fences, and all around s**t heads shooting livestock and so on... so until the SSAA come up with answers to this s**t there wont be any wanting to sign up, I personally take out foxes and cats on about 15 properties... so there is one group of farmers that dont need anyone else.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 08 Apr 2019, 7:57 pm

Zappa wrote:signed up for the Farmer assist program sponsored by SSAA and was dissapointed to see only half dozen sites listed, Australia wide !

biggest issue is feral animals on large leases and crown land and National Forrest... pests in these areas are very poorly managed by DER and the likes. In fact I would emphatically say their efforts are completely benign and from those that I have met and spoke with they are unilaterally against anyone else "taking their fun" by stepping into the pest control/feral eradication role at least here in the west.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Jon79 » 08 Apr 2019, 8:43 pm

Went for a drive the other day knocked on 3 doors was polite and not dressed like Rambo got on to all 3 properties all of them have plenty of deer, pigs and foxes.

I called in to the first property and had a good yarn and he put me on to the following 2 properties
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 08 Apr 2019, 9:32 pm

Jon79 wrote:Went for a drive the other day knocked on 3 doors was polite and not dressed like Rambo got on to all 3 properties all of them have plenty of deer, pigs and foxes.

I called in to the first property and had a good yarn and he put me on to the following 2 properties

yeah this is the way to go about things, and never just rock up with your s**t ready to go.. they wouldn't appreciate the presumption.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 08 Apr 2019, 10:10 pm

from what I have been told it is a boys club type thing that they want everyone to join but only a few get onto decent property's
there were even a couple of RO's from the ssaa who complained that they joined and couldn't get onto property's

I know for a fact that none of the property's that I hunt/shoot on are willing to do the farmer assist
but they may let someone who is polite enough to door knock respectfully the opportunity to hunt on that day
lets face it they can only say no :unknown: it is worth a try :drinks:
I would be looking for my own property's rather than hoping the farmer assist will get you on
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Apr 2019, 11:11 pm

Zappa wrote:
southwest shooter wrote:
Zappa wrote:

Not last time i checked.

YMMV.

It can be hard to get on to property, particularly if you dont have a lead in, such as another land owner to vouch for you nearby, or a common acquaintance of a landowner for example.

But knocking on doors can be useful...there is that old yarn that goes something like--"if you ask 10 sheilas in a bar for a root, you'll likely get 9 slaps in the face...and one root..!" :lol:
(Im sick of being slapped thats why i hunt... 8-) )

Go knock on doors...if you see bunnies on a property go knock on the door & introduce yourself--tell em you can shoot the bunnies safely--show them your farmer assist literature & use that as your lead in.
If they have pets, offer to keep the offal of what you shoot for the wifes/kids pet cat, & bones/meat for the dogs, & offer to share any meat with them...
Dont press them to let you on there & then, leave your number & offer for them to call you any time.
Let them know you're there for the right reasons.
Ask them if they would mind if you popped your head in to say "hi" next time you drive past...

Yes, expect knock backs for sure...there are rude arrogant farmers just like people in the city, and they have the right to refuse...but realise not all farmers will be like that...some will appreciate you asking, rather than just shooting over the fence illegally.

As for farmer assist...its a great initiative (on the surface) so sign up for it if you've got nowhere to shoot..
It is however a bit of a lottery so dont for a moment hang all your hopes on it...chances of getting anything worthwhile is pretty low.
But as i said earlier, use your membership as a bit of creedance to help you get on properties.

As SWest shooter said in different words... if you dont ask you dont get.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 09 Apr 2019, 3:18 am

flutch wrote:
Jon79 wrote:Went for a drive the other day knocked on 3 doors was polite and not dressed like Rambo got on to all 3 properties all of them have plenty of deer, pigs and foxes.

yeah this is the way to go about things, and never just rock up with your s**t ready to go.. they wouldn't appreciate the presumption.

I'll third this.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 09 Apr 2019, 10:30 am

Nice work, imagine that you ask politely and doors open , who would have thought .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 09 Apr 2019, 4:03 pm

SSAA, CWM of your state,,should be one in every state? can be a bit of an old boys club but once you get your nose in and your not a wenker its not too bad, tried farmers assist but not really into shooting roo's so let that laspe ,,talk to your co-workers,friends,ect,put the word out that your looking for properties and you may be surprised at what you get,,clean up after yourself ,,no dead stuff just lying around type of thing, text the owner on how it went and if you have spotted anything amiss and after a few visits do the old "hey any of the other guys around here need a hand to sort out a few foxes? or whatever's" :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control