JHPs or Ballistic Tip ???

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

JHPs or Ballistic Tip ???

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Apr 2019, 5:53 pm

OK you blokes,,,,, Which of these in your opinions have the most devastating, explosive, knock down power.

JHPs or Ballistic tipped.

In particular out of a, 22/250 with 45 grainers ,,,,, and large feral dogs being the intended recipients.
Last edited by Die Judicii on 19 Apr 2019, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: JHPs or Ballistic Tip ???

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Apr 2019, 6:23 pm

It makes no real difference unless you need the extra BC. I have had good results with Vmax, Blitz Kings and Speer TNT but they have been 50 or 55 grain.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 19 Apr 2019, 8:19 pm

by ballistic tips I assume you mean the nylon or polymer tipped bullets.I used 50gn Blitzkings on head shot roos but half the time they went through and out the other side the pointed soft point Remingtons detonate and do a lot off damage and rarely go through and I would think hollow points would expand on contact.At the 3500fps plus you are going to be shoving these pills it is not going to matter
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 19 Apr 2019, 8:25 pm

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Nosler BT.

I used 80gr in my .243 when I had it.

120gr and 140gr are my two long-standing loads for my 7mm which I've had for a few years.

I've also used 150g, 168gr and 180gr in .308 and 300wm.

Everything from foxes up to the various size deer with the corresponding cartridges there, and never felt they were lacking or found myself thinking about a need to try something else.

They cost a pinch more (which means bugger all for hunting, really) but shoot straight, flat, and hit hard consistently.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Apr 2019, 10:32 pm

DJ i use vmax 55gr in my sako 22-250 fl base i've found the best in both rifles my other 22-250ruger i used both in 45gr hp-plastic tip both at the speeds of the 22-250 pushes them will do masive damage to a dog I've very rarely seen a 55gr go through a dog nor the 45gr the 55gr travell at 3414fps and the 45gr travel at 3540fps those speeds should do the job with either projectile the only thing in my case was i found the nylon tip was more accurate but nothing to write home about but i use all nylon tips for the 22-250s have done for some time the sako has only ever used vmax :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Apr 2019, 11:47 pm

Unfortunately I cant speak for hollow points but when I switched from soft point to BT I noticed a big difference, the roos heads were literally exploding.

I'm a massive fan of light jackets and ballistic tips on small to medium game.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 20 Apr 2019, 8:01 am

I’ve found better accuracy with ballistic tips , Nosler and Hornady Vmax being great performers. Have used soft points and Hornady sst polymer tips in 6.5x55 and the sst’s definitely had better terminal results
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Apr 2019, 9:25 am

DJ i use vmax 55gr in my sako 22-250 fl base i've found the best in both rifles my other 22-250ruger i used both in 45gr hp-plastic tip both at the speeds of the 22-250 pushes them will do masive damage to a dog I've very rarely seen a 55gr go through a dog nor the 45gr the 55gr travell at 3414fps and the 45gr travel at 3540fps those speeds should do the job with either projectile the only thing in my case was i found the nylon tip was more accurate but nothing to write home about but i use all nylon tips for the 22-250s have done for some time the sako has only ever used vmax :thumbsup:

I have found the Vmax very accurate in a Tikka 22/250 shooting in the 0.2s at 100 and just over an inch at 300. They are extremely explosive leaving not much to pick up if you hit a bunny. I have also found the TNT to be equally devistating. Flat based bullets work well out to 300 especially at the speeds the 22/250 launches them.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 20 Apr 2019, 8:06 pm

I been using v max forever for their accuracy and their ability to deliver the energy. A v max or a nos bt is going to be a big explosion in the chest of a dog ( I’m actually going hunting wild dogs tomorrow) .thats if I don’t get a call to say it’s too wet. I heard once that occasionaly on impact an edge of a hollow point will lay flat and turn the bullet into a Fmj ......so I just avoid them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 20 Apr 2019, 10:36 pm

I use vmax pills in my 204 and my 243. They are devastating in both calibres. I am a bit lazy. If I find something that works I just stick with it. The vmax projectiles really work well for me. Just this evening I shot a fox with my 243 and it dropped like a box of rocks. I switched over to the 204 and headshot a couple of Roos. Again, no doubt it was pointless calling the vet or a wildlife rescue service.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 20 Apr 2019, 11:01 pm

There are some big western greys on the south coast.I shoot the Waroona area where they are normal size.Do you use them for food or dogs???
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Apr 2019, 8:23 am

Thanks for all the feedback fellas.
Today is the 1st time I've got back to actually reading responses.
I made an error when first posting this. I just looked at the box,,,,, which was factory Winchester JHPs in 45 gr and supposedly 4,000 fps.

What was actually in the box, were reloads,,,,,,,, and with 55 gr Sierra Blitzkings

And, so far I'm not terribly impressed.
I think when these get used up I'll go back to the factory Winchester. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Apr 2019, 8:30 am

Die Judicii wrote:Thanks for all the feedback fellas.
Today is the 1st time I've got back to actually reading responses.
I made an error when first posting this. I just looked at the box,,,,, which was factory Winchester JHPs in 45 gr and supposedly 4,000 fps.

What was actually in the box, were reloads,,,,,,,, and with 55 gr Sierra Blitzkings

And, so far I'm not terribly impressed.
I think when these get used up I'll go back to the factory Winchester. :thumbsup:

Whats wrong with the BK's D?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 21 Apr 2019, 9:06 pm

i've almost NEVER found winchester factory ammo to be any good in my rifles . federal always seemed to work well out of american producers , rem was ok . sako/tikka white box ammo in a 22-250 i had were very accurate and good value for money
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Apr 2019, 2:37 pm

Used HP Taipans to good effect over the Easter break, also used SBK as well and didn't notice any real difference in performance, everything fell over and died as it was meant too. :drinks:

Both were 50gn used in 222 CMC Mountaineer.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Archie » 23 Apr 2019, 3:54 pm

bigrich wrote:i've almost NEVER found winchester factory ammo to be any good in my rifles . federal always seemed to work well out of american producers , rem was ok . sako/tikka white box ammo in a 22-250 i had were very accurate and good value for money

I have a 243 that shoots the Winchester 95g ballistic silvertips like a laser. But sometimes it's just what suits the individual rifle.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 24 Apr 2019, 8:06 am

Always, shot placement trumps all.
For a given caliber (read small) the fanciest bullet somewhat inappropriately placed will never be as effective a pedestrian bullet in the right place.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 24 Apr 2019, 3:13 pm

HP Taipans - now there's a blast from the past!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 24 Apr 2019, 4:08 pm

RoginaJack wrote:HP Taipans - now there's a blast from the past!

Yep I still have some.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Apr 2019, 5:13 pm

I think I still have some in 30 cal 155gr taipan
Member-Deleted

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control