Hunting the "new" property

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Hunting the "new" property

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Apr 2019, 10:36 am

100_5229.JPG
100_5229.JPG (738.85 KiB) Viewed 6341 times
100_5228.JPG
100_5228.JPG (840.53 KiB) Viewed 6341 times
Just prior to the Easter break, I was contacted by the owner of a pretty large (for this area) property, and asked to go as often as I can, to
try and nail feral dogs with the aid of my recently purchased thermal site.
They have been hammering his sheep pretty bad.
To the extent that they have killed and mauled just on 200 ewes in the last two or three months.

I've been out there 4 times, (three nights before Easter, and again last night, 27th April)

The first night, I saw no feral dogs, but shot 2 foxes, 1 feral cat, and a runt sucker pig, all of which had come in to a sheep carcass.

The second night I heard the dogs howling about a kilometer off into the rugged hills and timber, for just on an hour, and then all went quiet for
the next three hours.
I usually sit for about 15 mins between turning the site on, and having a look around to see what's about.
At just on 4 am I had turned it on again and was delighted to see 3 very large feral dogs running at quite a speed, and headed towards me.
I thought this is gonna work out great,,, but in a split second, all 3 simply vanished.

Feeling very frustrated, I waited, but they never came back into view.
After the sun rose, I went for a walk, and discovered that there was a small cutting that ran off at 45 degrees and led
straight up into the bigger hills behind,,,,, well then I knew how they seemed to magically disappear.

The 3rd night out was unremarkable with no sighting of feral dogs, and no howling either. Just before dawn I managed
to drop another fox, as I had given up waiting for the dogs.

I went away for a couple of days at the end of Easter, and then returned to continue the quest for feral dogs.
I sat all night, and frequently checked out a large mob of sheep that had camped nearby, but the dogs weren't about.
( They must be due again very soon, because the owner said he hasn't had an attack now for a while.)
So just before dawn, I decided to break the silence by putting an end to this grunters days.

It took 3 rounds through the heart and lungs before stopping and falling over.
It looked fairly big in the thermal, and when it was daylight I went down to inspect the tusks,,,,, and was disappointed to
find that it was a sow.
Oh well,,,,,,,, maybe tonite it'll be a dogs dinner,,,,,, and a dogs demise.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Hunting the "new" property

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Apr 2019, 11:42 am

Gee mate thanks for the pat on the back but I just done what most blokes would do and that's to help with the best of their knowledge and hope you get a win wild dogs have been a passion of mine since I was 6 or younger till now my grampa owned a dairy and I lived first hand with the cruelty ,damage ,affect on peoples lives, and dangers of wild dogs so maybe I was destined to be a wild dog shooter and glad to pass on what I've learnt from those experiences mate you will get those dogs or at least a dog they will be getting used to being there and not disrupting them their fatal mistake is near believe me seems they are edgy but a week or so is ample for their fear of you to waver patience is a dogs friend so mate don't loose patience and they're yours eventually :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drinks: not a bad sow looks like she is full of pups or is she bloated because she was shot some time earlier :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Bill » 28 Apr 2019, 11:47 am

Nice sow mate, shame about the rifle stock :lol:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 28 Apr 2019, 12:57 pm

Always good to read about the effort involved in the rewards that we seek. Iv never been one to sit and whistle behind some fallen timber overlooking a gully but I’n my pursuit of dogs I’m going to do it a lot more. I have also got from ebay a small battery operated movinginjured bird type decoy to offer a bit of attractive movement to an approaching dog to give them some extra enticement when coming to a call ....aso some tube type wolf howlers from the states sound ok too ......I’m pushing my vocals to the limit when trying to sound like a dog
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Apr 2019, 1:32 pm

Good luck with the dogs.

They're definitely cunning critters, very difficult to get.

I spent quite some time trapping, baiting and shooting dogs in far north SA

You'll need to employ all 3 if you want success.

Try dragging all your carcasses to one place where the dogs frequent, they're creatures of habit. They'll start to frequent that place for a easy feed.

Even when your pile if carcasses becomes a pile of bones, the dogs will still scratch around there.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 28 Apr 2019, 3:05 pm

How did the night 'scope go and is it the add on type?
As on_one_wheel said.
If you come across a kill that the dogs are feeding off, you can add a carcass (even road kill) to the pile or an area when the dogs travel, drag a carcass in but to a position that advantages you, that way you can shoot off it or trap the dogs path to and from it.
It doesn't do any harm to move a carcass into a better position or location.
Good luck...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 28 Apr 2019, 3:06 pm

How did the night 'scope go and is it the add on type?
As on_one_wheel said.
If you come across a kill that the dogs are feeding off, you can add a carcass (even road kill) to the pile or an area when the dogs travel, drag a carcass in but to a position that advantages you, that way you can shoot off it or trap the dogs path to and from it.
It doesn't do any harm to move a carcass into a better position or location.
Good luck...
PS. Remember, check the wind....
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Apr 2019, 3:56 pm

not a bad sow looks like she is full of pups or is she bloated because she was shot some time earlier :thumbsup:

Yeah Mate, she was full of young uns.

She actually came in from behind my possie, and I could hear her coming up the rise in the rocky ground. I thought it was a one of the owners horses till I saw her in the scope.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 28 Apr 2019, 4:39 pm

Blr243 wrote:Always good to read about the effort involved in the rewards that we seek. Iv never been one to sit and whistle behind some fallen timber overlooking a gully but I’n my pursuit of dogs I’m going to do it a lot more. I have also got from ebay a small battery operated movinginjured bird type decoy to offer a bit of attractive movement to an approaching dog to give them some extra enticement when coming to a call ....aso some tube type wolf howlers from the states sound ok too ......I’m pushing my vocals to the limit when trying to sound like a dog

What is the decoy you got BLR...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 28 Apr 2019, 6:41 pm

I don’t yet know how to post a pic but on eBay or YouTube u will find PREDATOR ENTICER DECOY I’m sure it was about 35 bucks. I recon when a dog is coming to a howl or whistle it’s going to be stopping and looking intensely in my direction trying to locate the source and if I stuff up with a body movement at the wrong time it could be all over. So I’m guessing an erratically moving decoy 50 m upwind of me will give them something to hone in on and they will be watching that instead of me bringing the rifle up to my shoulder I just have to take the shot before they reach the decoy that is going to smell like me I also noted on this Easter trip that walking around in the dark with my thermal with my headlamp set to red that the red light was pathetic so I have ordered a new headlamp that is strictly red only and adjustable That should make for safer walking in the dark Previously we have all stalked thru the bush up till dark and then it’s dinner campfire jack danials and bedtime but with my new gear I find myself not really bothering with an afternoon hunt I wait till dark. And then the hunt begins.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 28 Apr 2019, 9:41 pm

Cheers BLR...
Although i typed exactly that into google & ebay & got nothing anywhere near $35...everything just stipidly pricey (in my view)...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Apr 2019, 7:39 am

Hee Hee,,, Forget the ebay thingey,,,,,,

We are using "live bait"

We just put a ewe in a ute cage on the ground where we know it is either an entry or escape route that the ferals use.
One lonely ewe separate from the flock is what they love isn't it ?

A kid goat would be even better cos they bleat a lot.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Apr 2019, 9:10 pm

Got the sow, now just chase up the boars...
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 Apr 2019, 10:13 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Hee Hee,,, Forget the ebay thingey,,,,,,

We are using "live bait"

We just put a ewe in a ute cage on the ground where we know it is either an entry or escape route that the ferals use.
One lonely ewe separate from the flock is what they love isn't it ?

A kid goat would be even better cos they bleat a lot.

Call me a hippy, but im not into putting any live animals under that kind of distress...
Maybe the exception to the rule might be a shrimp hooked through its tail in the chase for a good Callop...
But a kid tied up, or a sheep in a cage clearly in distress & being circled by dogs is not something id be a fan of at all.

I think respecting animals is important as a hunter...a good hunter doesnt want to put its prey under distress by executing a poor shot, so i dont see using an animal as live bait & purposely putting under distress is anything to brag about...particularly on a public forum....!!

Maybe use the proven & respectful way of attracting the dogs DJ as suggested by others already, & place a clean killed carcass, even road kill, in the same place on regular intervals to get them used to a free & easy feed.

Ill stick to my wistle & decoys...
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2019, 12:21 pm

I'm gonna come in here and say I doubt DJ is doing it for simply watching the sheep suffer long story behind him doing so like he posted earlier that 200 or so sheep have been lost on this farm in a few months so each to their own but if you have seen a dog pack kill then you would know the fear that is put into animals whole mobs at once and the cruelty involved I doubt that one sheep in a cage would be in so much stress that it would be affected too much then there's the point of one stressed sheep to save hundreds from that fear or worse, hard decisions have to be made when chasing killers smart enough to evade people and sometime those decisions go against even the hunters grain but to save animals from a cruel packs then these decisions have to be made and I completely understand some not agreeing with them but it's done to preserve other animals not for fun and time is of the essence with dogs the other options are poisons and you should see a dog die from eating poison that's cruel to but it has to be done unfortunately. shooting is mostly instant but dogs can't be controlled with shooting alone so other methods are used namely what ever get the killers people don't do this lightly they do it to protect the other animals and their livelihood and future :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2019, 12:36 pm

G'day oldbloke sorry mate I missed your post up top here yeah mate ask away anytime I can only tell you what I've learnt and what works for me and proven because i'm still seeing things I've never seen before with dogs myself but I get my share I suppose I don't trap very often but do when I get a dog that has been shot at and chased by others and not caught they get too cagey so I lay a couple of traps normally works :thumbsup: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Apr 2019, 12:55 pm

100_5233.JPG
100_5233.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 6003 times
Slim pickings last night,,,,,,, the ONLY thing that bothers coming to a dead bait carcass on this property is foxes and crows.
The FERAL DOGS didn't put in an appearance at all last night, not even a howl, but they will come back.

Why on earth would they bother with dead carrion when they have got over a thousand live sheep in the same paddock.
Given the fact that the ferals have pups running with them, how will they learn to hunt and kill, on a dead carcass,,,,,,, that can't run. :unknown:

So putting a ewe in a crate that actually protects it from the ferals will create less stress on it, than the rest of the flocks get that are open to physical attack and being chased, mauled, and eaten whilst still alive.
At least I am there ready and waiting, and any feral dog that comes near the crate will be shot well before creating stress to the ewe.

Or are you advocating that the owner should start farming and breeding "dead" carcasses so they don't suffer any stress ? :unknown: :crazy:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Apr 2019, 1:07 pm

Bill wrote:Nice sow mate, shame about the rifle stock :lol:

Hi Bill,,,,,, I know you can't see me right now Mate,,,, but I'm waving frantically to you, (but with a slightly different finger and wrist movement) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I looked,,,,,, but couldn't find any smilies that match.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Apr 2019, 1:34 pm

Well done!....

I like the idea of live bait, it's a smart move that I've never seen used on dogs.
It could well be the safest ewe on the property while your using it.

Check this story out about an old dog trapper.
Its worth a read, there's some really good tricks hidden in this article :thumbsup:
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2013-08- ... er/4917640
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2019, 1:53 pm

Good read on one wheel pretty much sums the dog up as I see it $500 a dog and $100 dollars a pup wish I could get that for mine I get $0 the council dropped the bounty years ago that's why we've got a problem with dogs here good on him he's doing a good job good office to
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Apr 2019, 2:40 pm

Yeah, Thanks "On One Wheel", much appreciated.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Apr 2019, 2:56 pm

RoginaJack wrote:How did the night 'scope go and is it the add on type?
Good luck...

Thanks RJ
The Thermal was definitely a move in the right direction,,,,,,,, but takes a little while to learn how to fly it.

Couple of big downers is that when your sitting and waiting,, and trying not to make big movements,, you have to reach a long way down the barrel to be able to turn it on or off, but in saying that this is alleviated by using the remote control.
The other downer is that the batteries only last for 4 hrs,, are expensive,, and not stocked by many stores.
The last lot, I bought online.
The book says not to use rechargeable ones.

An external power supply battery pack is available but costs $220
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Apr 2019, 5:35 pm

I'm gonna come in here and say I doubt DJ is doing it for simply watching the sheep suffer long story behind him doing so like he posted earlier that 200 or so sheep have been lost on this farm in a few months so each to their own but if you have seen a dog pack kill then you would know the fear that is put into animals whole mobs at once and the cruelty involved I doubt that one sheep in a cage would be in so much stress that it would be affected too much then there's the point of one stressed sheep to save hundreds from that fear or worse, hard decisions have to be made when chasing killers smart enough to evade people and sometime those decisions go against even the hunters grain but to save animals from a cruel packs then these decisions have to be made and I completely understand some not agreeing with them but it's done to preserve other animals not for fun and time is of the essence with dogs the other options are poisons and you should see a dog die from eating poison that's cruel to but it has to be done unfortunately. shooting is mostly instant but dogs can't be controlled with shooting alone so other methods are used namely what ever get the killers people don't do this lightly they do it to protect the other animals and their livelihood and future :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks:

Although I'm not keen on the practice I do agree.

In The Wrath of Khan (1982), Spock says, “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” Captain Kirk answers, “Or the one.”
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Apr 2019, 5:41 pm

G'day oldbloke sorry mate I missed your post up top here yeah mate ask away anytime I can only tell you what I've learnt and what works for me and proven because i'm still seeing things I've never seen before with dogs myself but I get my share I suppose I don't trap very often but do when I get a dog that has been shot at and chased by others and not caught they get too cagey so I lay a couple of traps normally works :thumbsup: :drinks:

As I know SFA, I thought it better if you could simply list a few tricks and tips to hunt/shoot dogs. Specific to dogs rather than general hunting.

P. S. Since you're the resident dog expert I thought it better if you lead the discussion.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Apr 2019, 6:09 pm

Well OB that video that OOW put up pretty much is enough to start a conversation I had never heard of that man but it doesn't take much reading to wake up to the fact he knows what he's doing and does it well by the looks and it looks like he has the passion that I have to hunt the wild dog I grew up with the death and cruelty they impose on the animals and the feeding on live animals that he explains dead baits become of no use as does poison baits if the dog isn't hungry they'll only eat live animals as they need it
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 30 Apr 2019, 7:09 pm

I'm learning quite a bit finding this discussion interesting :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 30 Apr 2019, 7:11 pm

Stix. I did a quick check on the decoy purchase and turns out inc postage it was 30 US dollars. Maybe I got lucky on the day
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 30 Apr 2019, 10:35 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
100_5233.JPG
Slim pickings last night,,,,,,, the ONLY thing that bothers coming to a dead bait carcass on this property is foxes and crows.
The FERAL DOGS didn't put in an appearance at all last night, not even a howl, but they will come back.

Why on earth would they bother with dead carrion when they have got over a thousand live sheep in the same paddock.
Given the fact that the ferals have pups running with them, how will they learn to hunt and kill, on a dead carcass,,,,,,, that can't run. :unknown:

So putting a ewe in a crate that actually protects it from the ferals will create less stress on it, than the rest of the flocks get that are open to physical attack and being chased, mauled, and eaten whilst still alive.
At least I am there ready and waiting, and any feral dog that comes near the crate will be shot well before creating stress to the ewe.

Or are you advocating that the owner should start farming and breeding "dead" carcasses so they don't suffer any stress ? :unknown: :crazy:

Really DJ...Really...? :lol:
Honestly...what a fukn stupid thing to say...just plain fukn stupid...!!! :roll:

I wasnt trying to be at you...just stating my thoughts is all...& seriously if you are that utterly stupid to not figure what i was advocating in my post after me having spelled it out, then you shouldnt have a gun pall....and you say i cant read....!! :lol:

I was all set to sit here & discuss the matter after seeing the comments posted by people & quoted on this page...then i went back a page & found this... :roll:
But im gathering that last comment is just your insecurities in attack mode now you feel you have backing...

Ive deleted what ive typed below this...i think its best...

And lets be clear...you're last pi5s-ant comment reflects nothing about me mate...and youre in your 60's...?...im embarrassed for you...!

Seriously, you should sleep on your side..sleeping on your back.i think that prickle has punctured a bit too deep...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 30 Apr 2019, 10:46 pm

Too personal Stix.I am blocking you again
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 02 May 2019, 6:42 am

when we shoot yotes they will move out of the area for a while do your wild dogs do the same thing
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control