Hunting the "new" property

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunting the "new" property

Post by Die Judicii » 02 May 2019, 5:22 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Die Judicii, With the pups around, try calling like a pup or a pup having a whine, yelp, etc. The pups often won't respond to a dog calling - could wind up getting a flogging etc. On occasions, the Bitch will come to see what's happening to the pup if its whinging...

Thanks Mate, I'm open to all sensible hints and suggestions, and that sounds sensible to me.
The Scotch Predator can be made to sound pretty whingey, but had no effect so far.
Maybe,,,,, if I just whinge and whine myself ?,,,, :unknown: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 03 May 2019, 1:55 pm

:lol: :lol: Mate, worth a try! I've felt like that on several occasions and actually had a feral cat answer back! 8-)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 03 May 2019, 3:19 pm

RoginaJack wrote::lol: :lol: Mate, worth a try! I've felt like that on several occasions and actually had a feral cat answer back! 8-)

Classic Mate,,,,,, :thumbsup:
The big question is, did it have any useful information, that was purrfect ??
:D
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 03 May 2019, 3:33 pm

100_5240.JPG
100_5240.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 5143 times
I saw the same two young feral dogs again last night,, and still wasn't able to clobber em.
They were making their way up a ridge opposite to where I was set up, and were only visible for brief glimpses in between trees.
The good thing is they aren't running, so sooner or later they'll "stroll" past me in a more open area one night soon.

I heard pigs again (fighting) but were a long way off, and certainly didn't see the mob.

I saw this poor little fellah just as the sun was starting to glow, and put him out of his misery.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 May 2019, 3:40 pm

Good one DJ patience mate getting that first dog will be a better feeling than ever
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 03 May 2019, 5:39 pm

Can you change your position to get closer, so it's more to your advantage and are the pups heading to/from water, a kill or den?
Are they travelling on a cattle pad/path etc.

But watch the wind when you approach and to take up position.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 03 May 2019, 8:22 pm

IMG10015.jpg
IMG10015.jpg (776.67 KiB) Viewed 5125 times
previous comment reminded me,,, This is the very first feral I ever Shot.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 03 May 2019, 8:30 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Can you change your position to get closer, so it's more to your advantage and are the pups heading to/from water, a kill or den?
Are they travelling on a cattle pad/path etc.

But watch the wind when you approach and to take up position.

Not really Mate,, the only thing consistent is that they are seem to be consistently inconsistent.
They don't seem to follow any particular trail, and you just never know where you'll see em next or what time.
There are numerous water points for them as well.

Unlike old foxes,,, you can almost set your clock to em and just wait the next night or afternoon.
Some of those have rigid schedules and hardly ever vary.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 May 2019, 11:47 pm

Well done DJ judging by its teeth I presume its about 11/2 to 2yr old one less though how was the heart when you saw it go down
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 04 May 2019, 1:49 pm

Well done DJ judging by its teeth I presume its about 11/2 to 2yr old one less though how was the heart when you saw it go down

Due to the circumstances at the time, the ol ticker never had a chance to react.
At the time I was sitting under cover, waiting to get some bunnies for dog tucker, when a little wallaby came racing out from the tree line, and following close behind was the dog.
Soon as it hit the cleared area it propped and sat.
Seeing as it was directly in front, and the rifle was already pointed, it was just a matter of a gentle squeeze, and it was on its way to doggie heaven.

Had a very unremarkable night last night,, dead calm, dead quiet, and zero activity.
Not even any roos in sight.

Packed up 1/2 hour after sunrise, and headed for home.
B@gger me,,,, just on 100 meters before getting back onto bitumin, a large gingery brown feral dog trotted across the track in front of me.
It had a massive boof head on it too.
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 May 2019, 2:17 pm

Yeah DJ we get them like that up here too all types xbred from domestic dogs from the areas and yeah it always happens that way when you're least expecting it they'll pop up that's a major trait of a dog frustrating at the least :thumbsup:
Last edited by Member-Deleted on 04 May 2019, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 04 May 2019, 2:17 pm

I have only ever shot 1 wild dog,I was 10 km or more east of the Homestead at Wooramel culling roos and there was a large clearing and this ugly as dog trotted out It had a spotted smooth white front half like a fox terrier and the back half was like a husky with a furry brown tail.I watched it for a while as I did not know what to do about it.In the end I decided to shoot it as it was unlikely to be a pet.I told the station owner and I had done the right thing We had sheep and goats on this property as well as cattle and I was involved in the baiting program latter on.Got lots of cats near the river.Now they have a full time dogger
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 May 2019, 11:04 pm

https://binged.it/2WqsyF4 here you go DJ some thing to watch some people don't think wild are dangerous :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 05 May 2019, 3:58 pm

Yep, that happens. Usually after I've packed up & locked up...

And DJ well done, broke the ice now...
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 05 May 2019, 5:20 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Yep, that happens. Usually after I've packed up & locked up...

And DJ well done, broke the ice now...

Yeah Mate,, I think I'll push the boundaries a bit within reason in regard to packing up completely.
Dependent on time of night, specific location, and known neighbors.

The black and white dog is not a recent by any means Mate, it was just on six years ago.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 05 May 2019, 5:28 pm

https://binged.it/2WqsyF4 here you go DJ some thing to watch some people don't think wild are dangerous :thumbsup:

almost any animal (in my book) can be dangerous given a chance.
The only thing that dragged that report down in my opinion, was the cheap "sensationalist" way it was made and worded.

Definitely food (pardon the pun) for thought though.
At the rate the ferals are breeding and spreading it's a wonder there aren't more attacks or fatalities.

Thank our lucky stars we don't have rabies.

PS,,,,, back to work tonite after a night off.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 05 May 2019, 5:43 pm

OK good o mate yeah the sensationalism mate what would you expect from a mob of American sheilas I hadn't listened to it right through until I put it on here then I thought oh sh#t but it does raise a good point if you can get past the hype garbage since I was a young fella I've watched as the wild dog population has grown and if you cod watch it fast forward it would scare ya anyway good luck tonight or how'd you go if you have already gone :thumbsup: :D
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 07 May 2019, 10:25 am

anyway good luck tonight or how'd you go if you have already gone :thumbsup: :D

Well Sunday Night/Monday morning was a dead calm, and bl**dy cold night that ended up with everything saturated wet from dew at sunrise.
Yet again, absolutely no animal movements,,,,,,,,,,, until 4 am.
A dog gave a howl off to my right and slightly rearward, and by the sound of it,, was only about 60 meters distant.
I tried turning slowly to have a look through the scope, and was rewarded with seeing it.
Yet again the luck was with the dog, as it was such an awkward angle and the rifle I'm using is very heavy,, I found that I was wavering all over
the place. The rest that I made was nearly two feet away facing forward, and I knew in an instant that I was far more likely to miss if I took a wild chance shot.
If I were to stand up or move the chair, the resultant movement and or noise would have spooked it good and proper.
So still with a wavering view of it, I watched as it walked further behind me and out of view. :thumbsdown:
But at least it wasn't spooked, and maybe next time the luck will be on my side.

Monday night/Tuesday morning was also cold and heavy dew.
Only saw roos,, and again 30 to 40 pigs which I watched but declined to shoot in the hopes of dog/s.
At 4-30 am I heard a young dog yipping, barking (sounded like a fox terrier) and trying to howl.
It was apparently on its own,,, and chasing something cos it covered a lot of distance in a short space of time.
It was too far into the timber to even hope to catch sight of it.

I'm thinking of doing days instead of nights now,, but further into the rough country and see how things work out in the afternoons and evenings.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 May 2019, 11:23 am

Yes its worth a try DJ I get them all hours through the day up here but that's mainly because they come in to the harvesters while they are working else where I've found morning and afternoon best ,I usually start just before daylight till 9am and then 3pm till whenever you decide or dark
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Aug 2019, 2:22 pm

100_5345.JPG
100_5345.JPG (978.52 KiB) Viewed 4881 times
Froze my butt off last night.
Spent 10 hours starting late afternoon till the wee small hours.

No pigs seen at all,
I did see a lone feral dog, but it was about 350 meters distant, and on the other side of the boundary fence.
It was totally alone, and a very small/young one.

All I managed to get was a hare that was also in poor condition (drought)
I'm sure all of you have heard of the "pink mist", well in this case it was a "white hot mist"
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Aug 2019, 6:36 pm

While staking out on my last place a couple of days ago I started to give some thought as to how I could deal with the cold better. I don’t mean an elaborate set up like dies but there is room for improvement. I sit in a deck chair that faces one way . But I can only do that for so long. There is a strong tendency for me to want to put down the binos and crawl into the swag with my dog. And after ten minutes it becomes hard to leave that swag. The neighbours place where I had no access, the place I used to just drool over , the same place that I counted 95 pigs one night when I scanned from extreme right to extreme left across one paddock. There are actually other paddocks beside the first one. And they all back onto the thick. This afternoon I found out that I now have access to the neighbours. I’m stoked. Not even a kick in the nuts could wipe the smile from my face at the moment. Does anyone have an ar15 I can borrow? I have worked hard for years in poor locations so now it’s time to enjoy. So now that I have more dirt to play with I gotta get comfortable and warm somehow. I want a rotating seat mounted to the racks on the top of my hilux. And any easy access ladder as well ... music, and a coffee machine
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Aug 2019, 7:57 pm

As for the cold,,,,,,,,,
I'm thinking of going back to what I used to do as a teenager riding motorbikes in cold wet weather.

I'm gonna get me a 2nd hand wet suit.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Aug 2019, 9:11 pm

Die Judicii wrote:As for the cold,,,,,,,,,
I'm thinking of going back to what I used to do as a teenager riding motorbikes in cold wet weather.

Whats wrong with thermals and a couple of T shirts. Its all about extra layers.
Believe it or not, ive used pantyhose :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Aug 2019, 10:00 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:As for the cold,,,,,,,,,

Whats wrong with thermals and a couple of T shirts. Its all about extra layers.
Believe it or not, ive used pantyhose :thumbsup:

I beg to differ at this time of the year.
Just lately, I wear 2 trousers, + a long sleeve T shirt, + a long sleeve shirt, + a micro fleece vest, + micro fleece hooded jacket, + shooting mitts.

By the time all that gear is on movement is a bit restricted,,,, but sitting still for 5 or 6 hours in 1 or 2 degrees plus sometimes a breeze,, the chill still gets to ya.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Aug 2019, 10:42 am

100_5362.JPG
100_5362.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 1319 times
Well, I've just started going back and chasing the dogs and pigs again after a bit of a break.
Things are still very quiet, with no sightings of either dogs or pigs.
Last night I thought things were gonna get good again as I heard a dog howling not all that far distant,,,,,
But nothing more.
After a 10 hour occupation, I did manage to get this fox.
He was young and small, but he's been in a good paddock.
Damm fat and healthy.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Aug 2019, 1:58 pm

Sure it isnt a pig? As fat as. :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Aug 2019, 6:24 pm

He's in good nick alright good fur as well
Member-Deleted