Kangaroo trap

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Kangaroo trap

Post by Roo farmer » 05 May 2019, 8:58 pm

Has anyone ever built a kangaroo trap? Something like a cage around a water trough, that they can get into but not out of? I could make up something myself but I'm just wondering if anyone else has done it successfully before.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Kangaroo trap

Post by duncan61 » 05 May 2019, 11:30 pm

The goat traps on a station I culled were inventive in that the gates would swing both ways to let them get to the water troughs but you could set them that they would go one way so we could collect the goats.Unfortunately there were always dead roos trapped in the wire where they try to hop in and get stuck.Not a good look.I have never heard of trapping roos be aware they can jump a long way in the air.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 05 May 2019, 11:32 pm

sheep and goats will head butt there way into a pen to get to water but the roos can hop out most of the time
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by knowsnothin » 06 May 2019, 5:55 am

I’m pretty sure trapping of Roos is illegal. If you have ever seen a corned roo try to get through ring lock you would have serious questions about the design, engineering and cost of a ‘humane’ roo trap’. As Duncan said- they will kill themselves to get out. It’s academic anyway. The only legal way to destroy them is to shoot them.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 06 May 2019, 9:20 am

In rough gorge country where the terrain makes mustering cattle real hard work I know of water and lick being used to entice cattle into cattle traps Never heard of roo traps and it's probably illegal I don't think there's gates on the cattle traps I have heard about. I think it's more of a confusing maze type set up
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 May 2019, 9:40 am

All the cattle trap yards I've seen have had gates . trip type gates and some have had cameras so it can be tripped by an operator when cattle are in the yards
Member-Deleted

Post by Archie » 06 May 2019, 9:48 am

I'd be pretty surprised if it was legal, although its a state based matter so maybe SA is different. But in most states you're in trouble if you interfere with native animals. Farming of natives (emus for example) usually needs a permit. So unless it's some officially sanctioned research project then I'm guessing you're out of luck.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 06 May 2019, 3:51 pm

:D :D
They are manufactured and sold successfully,,,,,, I think they have models like,,,,,, .303, 30/30, .243 etc. :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JSS » 06 May 2019, 4:18 pm

Die Judicii wrote::D :D
They are manufactured and sold successfully,,,,,, I think they have models like,,,,,, .303, 30/30, .243 etc. :lol:

Ahh yes, the old "Bang Traps"...they're great and work on all sorts of animals :lol: :lol:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 07 May 2019, 6:55 pm

Okay, so a kangaroo trap is out of the question.

What about a sheep trap that is 6 foot high?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 07 May 2019, 7:59 pm

Roo farmer wrote:Okay, so a kangaroo trap is out of the question.

What about a sheep trap that is 6 foot high?

In all seriousness Mate,, ingenuity is probably your best friend.
Experiment and see what you come up with.
That's how most things were invented in the first instance.

Just cos it aint been done yet,,,, doesn't mean that it can't be done.

My desire would be to see a gate invented that will let cattle or sheep in to water but keep roos out. :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 07 May 2019, 8:28 pm

Yes, I was mainly trying to find out if anyone knew how they behave when there are a heap in a confined area. Is shooting them in the cage achievable, or do they panic too much? Correct permits for shooting of course.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 07 May 2019, 8:30 pm

Not suggesting that anyone might be considering illegal traps but I firmly believe traps of any kind should be checked regularly and more so in summer so nothing suffers unnecessarily Unchecked traps with any type of animal perishing from thirst is totally acceptable
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 07 May 2019, 8:35 pm

A long time ago, I saw an old bushy accidentally snare the leg of a decent size roo, when he was aiming for something considerably smaller...the battle that ensued would have been comedic had he not ended up at drs getting stitches in several different places...including upper thigh.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 May 2019, 8:37 pm

I'm thinking some kind of 12ft tall chain mesh fence wings narrowing down to a choking point where a big industrial wood mulcher sits.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by flutch » 07 May 2019, 8:42 pm

knowsnothin wrote:I’m pretty sure trapping of Roos is illegal. If you have ever seen a corned roo try to get through ring lock you would have serious questions about the design, engineering and cost of a ‘humane’ roo trap’. As Duncan said- they will kill themselves to get out. It’s academic anyway. The only legal way to destroy them is to shoot them.

I can't imagine a Corned Roo being very active at all, much less in need of a trap to ensnare or contain it.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 07 May 2019, 10:00 pm

When culling in the Gascoyne it is a standard practice to go from well to well as that is where the roos will be.The ones I have come across in traps behaved the same as if they were in the open they are just a pain to have to drag out the trap where normally you can drive alongside and just pick it up.Someone gave me some advice once that I should just park at a well and wait.I gave it a go and it worked but was boring sitting in the car then spotlighting every 20 min or so.I have to ask why do you wish to trap roos.Do you want them alive.Is it red roos where you are
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 07 May 2019, 10:15 pm

duncan61 wrote:When culling in the Gascoyne it is a standard practice to go from well to well as that is where the roos will be.The ones I have come across in traps behaved the same as if they were in the open they are just a pain to have to drag out the trap where normally you can drive alongside and just pick it up.Someone gave me some advice once that I should just park at a well and wait.I gave it a go and it worked but was boring sitting in the car then spotlighting every 20 min or so.I have to ask why do you wish to trap roos.Do you want them alive.Is it red roos where you are

yo duncan!
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 07 May 2019, 11:23 pm

Blr243 wrote:Not suggesting that anyone might be considering illegal traps but I firmly believe traps of any kind should be checked regularly and more so in summer so nothing suffers unnecessarily Unchecked traps with any type of animal perishing from thirst is totally acceptable

Hi BLR243,
Not meaning to be a nit picker,,,,, but I'm presuming you meant UNACCEPTABLE

:thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 07 May 2019, 11:46 pm

As I've watched countless times, how roos will stoop to go through or under a wire fence,, I've often thought they would be a candidate for a well set snare.
For many years as I understand, rabbit traps (the kind I grew up with) have been illegal in the UK.
But snares were the go to solution in England.
I had a mate once that was raised in rural England, and he brought some back after a holiday.
He showed me how they work, and how to set them.
Firstly, the wire is soft yet strong, and when the rabbit tries to push its way through, the wire kinks tightly, and then they instinctively kick forward,,,,,,,
resulting in a dead rabbit with a broken neck.

I only half believed what he was saying till he set some on my place,,,,,,,,,,,, and sure enough every rabbit that was in one,, the next morning,, was dead and with a broken neck.
It certainly convinced me.
No suffering at all.
Until then I was under the impression that they died from strangulation, but not so.

I reckon that roos would be the same,,,,,,, only on a bigger scale,,,,,, if you could get a permit for it.

RIP Paul,,,,, the bloke that did what he did to you will have justice served when he passes on. :drinks:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 08 May 2019, 3:49 pm

Yes your right. I gotta spell check more often. What I actually typed sounds awfull
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 09 May 2019, 9:24 pm

duncan61 wrote:I have to ask why do you wish to trap roos.Do you want them alive.Is it red roos where you are

Two reasons I had thought of trapping. One, scrubby paddocks are hard to shoot. Two, open paddocks are fine until you target the same paddocks repeatedly, the roos get smart, and disappear as soon as they hear a vehicle.

Yes I want them alive. I want them alive so that I can shoot them, dress them, and sell them.

Reds and Western Greys.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 May 2019, 8:58 am

Set up a series of speakers that play a recording of a desiel engine, & have it play when they are in your paddock...
That'll keep em there...& be cheaper than a fence/trap.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control